“Needs sprucing”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed September 13, 2007

We stayed three nights at the Galt. Though it tries to be great, it doesn't quite make it. It is a bit dreary and dark, and it could use some sprucing up. The Rivue at the top was quite elegant and the view terrific, but the Magnolia served an awful Eggs Benedict. Next time in Louisville we will go to the Museum Hotel. Proof restaurant was fabulous. MJL

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
7  Thank 717
Write a ReviewReviews (4,234)

Reviewed August 23, 2007

the gault house hotel is a great place to stay! the check in was really easy, even though their were a lot of people in line. the rooms were beautiful and large. we had a suite, with a microwave and a regrigerator. this hotel is right on the water, and easy to walk anywhere downtown. i would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone.

2  Thank number1hedge
Reviewed August 18, 2007

I was there for a convention four nights. From the time I checked in on a Sunday I was given the run around about my room not being ready . I was finally able to check in at 4pm. When arrived in front of hotel it was packed so i parked back aways had valet parking was told when i checked in we had special rate of $5.00 per day wrong try $16.00. I tried to get it changed they say to bad i should have read the sign on the other end that said $16.00.

Then when i checked out i left something in room called two hours later before the actual check out time , but they never went and retreived my items, so now after three days of calls they say o well.

I am contacting the National Fraternal Order of Police who held the conference and tell them in the future do not use this place.

PS the rooms are not worth the money...

1  Thank tommy37Indpls.In
Reviewed August 16, 2007

I stayed one night because the event my company was exhibiting in was held at the Galt House.It is very conveinent in the middle of downtown across from the Ohio River and probably great river views available.My view was of the main power grid that supplied electricity to the complex. I was on a business trip so did not really need or want a great view. I was told the property was just completely renovated, wow I can't believe where they spent the money, It was not on the exterior the hotel shows it's age and time has not been good to the grand old lady.
Except the newely renovated and renamed restaurant on the 25th floor of the west tower it is now the Rivue,very modern elegant atmosphere with twin revolving dinner floors that provide a great view of Louisville..it was the Flagship,a dark remnant from pirate lore.
The food and service were excellent, the asparagus soup with crabmeat was HEAVEN!!
So if you do stay at the hotel it is a PRIORITY to dine at the Rivue...the experience will erase any icky effects from the hotel accomodations.

2  Thank Scraggles
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We just got back from spending 2 nights at the Galt House while on vacation. We paid a great price for this hotel ($49), but if we paid more, I think I would be dissapointed.

Overall, it was very nice. The room was clean and pretty spacious. The decorating in the room was nice. The bed was comfortable.

The pool was small and crowded, we never went in. However, there was a nice bar/snack bar with tables next to the pool that overlooks the Ohio river. That looked like it was nice.

We ate breakfast at the little cafe in the conservatory. The conservatory was very nice, but the cafe was very overpriced. My husband and I had a muffin, a bagel and 2 coffees and it came to about $10.

It is right downtown, so the location is great. If you are going to an event at the convention center, it's a great location. We walked along the Ohio river (right outside the hotel) one night, and it was nice. It would be great to stay here if you are going on a riverboat dinner, the boats dock right outside the hotel.

We enjoyed our stay and found it to be a nice hotel.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank canadianmom01
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Check in was in the East building, but my room was in the West building. However, the receptionist directed me to park in the East building leading to confusion later as I tried to find my car.

Overall, the parking elevators, levels, and spaces need more signs to help you remember where you parked your car.

My room was large and clean—with the exception of several long, black hairs stuck to the wall of the shower. A large carpeted balcony was shared by other rooms and offered peripheral views of the Ohio river.

Walking through the lobby, I asked a hotel employee for directions to a nearby restaurant (Bistro 301). He dismissed me with a curt, “I don’t know” and continued walking.

All the employees I spoke to during my one-night stay gave me the impression they’d rather be elsewhere doing something else. No smiles or Southern hospitality here.

The Galt House might be one of those places where the employees aren’t treated very well----and their unhappiness and indifference filters down to the guest experience.

Priceline room rate: $49.00

By the way, I found Bistro 301 on my own and enjoyed a terrific casual lunch there. It’s a busy, noisy kind of place but I found the food and service completely satisfying. Located at Market and Third—easy walking distance from the Galt House.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank TravelingGuy
Reviewed August 2, 2007

I have stayed in the Galt House numerous times through Priceline bookings. The most recent trip was December 2006. So far all of the rooms we have been given were newly rennovated and tastefuly designed. The walkway between the two towers is a great place to set and just look at downtown Louisville. While the Galt House rate is rather high, I have always had great luck at getting a Priceline booking in the 40.00-50.00 range.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family