My husband and I live right across the river from the Galt House. I bought tickets to see Wicked at the Kentucky Center, and since it is practically next door to the Galt House, I decided to make a romantic night of it and book a room. We stayed in the Rivue Tower, on the 21st floor, and requested a room with a view of the river, which we were given. I was unimpressed with the customer service we received upon check-in. It's not that the desk clerk was rude or anything, she was just very blase, seemed to just want to get our transaction over with as quickly as possible. I've read that some people had issues with the elevator, so I was expecting some wait time. Fortunately, we never experienced any problems, and the elevators were very prompt and efficient. When we got to our floor, I noticed that the hallways weren't very well-kept, but I thought, no biggie, I'm not staying in the hallway anyway. When we checked out our room, however, I realized that the hallways were a direct indication of what you get in your room, as well. They are slightly outdated, and there were several cigarette burn holes on the blankets under the bedspreads, as well as MANY very suspect dark spots on the sheets. When we went to sleep for the night, I noticed that our bottom sheet in each bed was "short-sheeted", so that my feet were touching the nasty, threadbare things that are under the sheets, not sure what to call them. Also, our room was incredibly dusty, especially the surfaces. It was clear that this hotel's housekeeping staff is extremely lazy. The cups in the bathroom were actually dirty, even though they had the paper things on top of them, indicating that housekeeping has "cleaned" them. Our beds were squeaky and old sounding, and when I looked under the layers, I discovered that the mattresses were very old and out of date.
The free wi-fi did not work, even though it let me "log on" to it. Could not get any pages to load, and it was very frustrating. Another issue was that at 9 o'clock in the morning, housekeeping came knocking on the door. When we did not answer, they left and said they would come back later. Apparently later means 20 minutes, because they were back again. Unfortunately, we were not provided with a "do not disturb" sign. How convenient. I informed them that we would be checking out at 11 (the latest you can possibly check out, which is ridiculous), and they did not return. When we WERE ready to check out, I tried to do so via the television, but was told three times that the service was unavailable. We checked out at the desk instead, and were very glad to be on our way home.
I will not be returning to the Galt House, as I feel they rest on their name and location, and do not actually provide the kind of service and luxury they advertise. At all. The one bright spot was our late night trip to the little cafe that is in the "catwalk" between buildings, on the third floor. The woman working was friendly, helpful, and put us both in better moods. Oh, and the spinach berry salad w/feta was DELICIOUS.
Final verdict: You do NOT get what you pay for, and there is very little that redeems this experience. The location is great, and the proximity to downtown Louisville attractions was very helpful, but still not enough to warrant a return stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Galt House Hotel, the Heart of Louisville, boasts 1,290 guest rooms and suites, 128,000 square-feet of convention space and more than 50 meeting rooms. Galt House Hotel features six full-service restaurants and lounges, including RIVUE, a 25th floor revolving restaurant with amazing cuisine, as well as the Rooftop Garden and Terrace, Club 360° Fitness Center and the three-story Conservatory that connects the two towers over 4th Street. It is connected to the KFC Yum! Center and the Kentucky International Convention Center, and within walking distance of Fourth Street Live! entertainment district, the Muhammad Ali Center, Kentucky Science Center, Kentucky Center for the Arts, Louisville Slugger Factory and Museum and Frazier History Museum. It is also within walking distance of unique shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick and HotelQuickly so you can book your Galt House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Galt House Hotel Louisville
- Galt Hotel Louisville
- Galt House Hotel And Suites
- The Galt House Hotel
- Galt House Louisville Ky