“Great location, but outdated and unclean rooms”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #27 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
New Albany, IN
“Great location, but outdated and unclean rooms”
Reviewed May 8, 2010

My husband and I live right across the river from the Galt House. I bought tickets to see Wicked at the Kentucky Center, and since it is practically next door to the Galt House, I decided to make a romantic night of it and book a room. We stayed in the Rivue Tower, on the 21st floor, and requested a room with a view of the river, which we were given. I was unimpressed with the customer service we received upon check-in. It's not that the desk clerk was rude or anything, she was just very blase, seemed to just want to get our transaction over with as quickly as possible. I've read that some people had issues with the elevator, so I was expecting some wait time. Fortunately, we never experienced any problems, and the elevators were very prompt and efficient. When we got to our floor, I noticed that the hallways weren't very well-kept, but I thought, no biggie, I'm not staying in the hallway anyway. When we checked out our room, however, I realized that the hallways were a direct indication of what you get in your room, as well. They are slightly outdated, and there were several cigarette burn holes on the blankets under the bedspreads, as well as MANY very suspect dark spots on the sheets. When we went to sleep for the night, I noticed that our bottom sheet in each bed was "short-sheeted", so that my feet were touching the nasty, threadbare things that are under the sheets, not sure what to call them. Also, our room was incredibly dusty, especially the surfaces. It was clear that this hotel's housekeeping staff is extremely lazy. The cups in the bathroom were actually dirty, even though they had the paper things on top of them, indicating that housekeeping has "cleaned" them. Our beds were squeaky and old sounding, and when I looked under the layers, I discovered that the mattresses were very old and out of date.

The free wi-fi did not work, even though it let me "log on" to it. Could not get any pages to load, and it was very frustrating. Another issue was that at 9 o'clock in the morning, housekeeping came knocking on the door. When we did not answer, they left and said they would come back later. Apparently later means 20 minutes, because they were back again. Unfortunately, we were not provided with a "do not disturb" sign. How convenient. I informed them that we would be checking out at 11 (the latest you can possibly check out, which is ridiculous), and they did not return. When we WERE ready to check out, I tried to do so via the television, but was told three times that the service was unavailable. We checked out at the desk instead, and were very glad to be on our way home.

I will not be returning to the Galt House, as I feel they rest on their name and location, and do not actually provide the kind of service and luxury they advertise. At all. The one bright spot was our late night trip to the little cafe that is in the "catwalk" between buildings, on the third floor. The woman working was friendly, helpful, and put us both in better moods. Oh, and the spinach berry salad w/feta was DELICIOUS.

Final verdict: You do NOT get what you pay for, and there is very little that redeems this experience. The location is great, and the proximity to downtown Louisville attractions was very helpful, but still not enough to warrant a return stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (946)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2010

My wife and I had reservations for a suite at the Galt House for Derby weekend only to literally arrive in the lobby and be informed that our reservation was cancelled. Hotel representatives personally attempted to blame the cancellation on the vendor we booked through (Expedia), but after several hours of phone calls, we learned that it was actually Galt House that contacted our vendor 3 days before we were scheduled to arrive in order to cancel our reservation that was booked and paid in full months earlier. No explanation or apology was ever offered. They tried to walk us to another hotel without offering a suite or even a partial refund despite being asked. Fortunately, we were able to secure last mintute accomodations through our own efforts at another hotel despite the fact it was the Thursday before the Derby. We burned pretty much an entire vacation day dealing with the Galt House fiasco. Thanks Hyatt for making room for us. Stay classy Galt House...still waiting for that apology if you are ever inclined to do the right thing.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LysolJones
Indianapolis
Reviewed April 28, 2010

Friends and I checked in to the hotel on April 23. We were running a marathon in Louisville the following morning. Our room was clean except for a questionable stain on the comforter...gross. Two biggest issues: 1. Our A/C unit was extremely loud and woke me up every time it clanged on. No joke, sounded like a plane with a bad engine starting up. 2. Check out time is ridiculously early...11:00 AM. My friends and I booked 3 rooms, checked in at 6:30 PM and checked out at 6 AM the following morning. Not even 12 hours in the room total. However, we were not allowed late check in for any of the rooms. We requested only a couple hours but not granted. 3 rooms, less than 12 hours, total $600.00, not even 2 extra hours granted. Cheap!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I stayed at the Galt House (older tower) for four days and three nights in April, 2010 for a conference. The Galt House is in an excellent location in downtown Louisville about 15 minutes drive from the airport, and a short five minute walk to the Fourth Street Live area and the Louisville Slugger Museum. I had a decent sized room with two queen beds and a fantastic view of the river. The bathroom was a bit small, but there are sinks inside and outside the bathroom which would be nice if you have two or more in your room. The only issue I had with the room itself, as well as the hotel, was they seemed to keep it very cold (mid 60's). I was always readjusting the thermostats in my room and in the conference session rooms.

The hotel has several cool bars. One is in the walkway between the two towers. The bar itself is a 40 foot long, two inch deep aquarium with live fish. The selection at the bar is limited, but it's worth a beer. There is also a bourbon lounge with pool tables on the second floor and some comfy seating. One of the bartenders there has been working there for 30 years and she set me up with some fine bourbon. There is also a bar/restaurant on the 25th floor of the old tower (not the suites side). I didn't eat there because the reviews I read weren't so good. However, the place has excellent views of the city, including a few tables in the dining area that spin slowly to give you panoramic views.

As others have mentioned, the elevators are a bit quirky. I witness two guys going up and down for about 5 minutes unable to get to their floor. Part of the problem is that the lights to indicate whether the elevator is going up or down are not always lit. It's a pretty minor inconvenience, although could be frustrating if you were in a hurry.

Overall, I would definitely stay at the Galt House again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 15, 2010

Initially I was a bit nervous because there were alot of young college kids in the lobby with several cases of beer, when I walked to my room on the 12th floor we were a bit disappointed because the room looked run down and there was quite a bit of noise outside of our room (again college kids with a case of liquor) I came out of the restroom and saw a man hanging in front of my window, this was a big shock, it was 6 p.m. and he was washing windows, I immediately went to the front desk and discussed my concerns and was upgraded to a suite and was given 2 complimentary brunchs and reservations on the revolving portion of the restaurant. All I can say is that are all about customer service, going out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The shops were nice and they conservatory was very nice. The convenience of the downtown area to the hotel was great. So much to do in the area, especially the wine/bourbon trails. If you go get off of the beaten path and hang out with the locals it was a great anniversary weekend

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Pontiac, Michigan
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Lose-Lose-Lose Situation…
I recently stayed at the Galt House L’ville to attend a conference that was being held in the hotel. I got an excellent rate (1/3 of the regular rate) by bidding through Priceline. The hotel is situated in downtown on the river. It has two buildings that sit on both sides of 4th Street. I happened to be in the “Rivue” tower. I entered the hotel on the Rivue side but guests check-in in the “Suite” tower. It took me awhile to figure this out since signs are not posted. Check-in was a quick but… the front desk clerk clearly needed a lesson in customer service. I asked her if it would be possible to get a riverview but she said none were available (I could live w/that if it were the truth). She gave me my room key and said I was in room 130. Again I asked if there was anything else available as 1st floor hotel rooms are typically not ideal and she said nothing else was available. I got to my room, which was nice; high ceilings; but the lights seemed like they were on dimmers. So I called the front desk and explained the situation and asked if there was anything else available. The lady who answered, who clearly wasn’t the girl that checked me in, began to give me several other options and instructed me to see the information desk on the Rivue side and they would give me the keys to another room. The lady at the information desk (Alaina) was wonderful. She explained that she had a riverview room on the 10th floor and kindly processed new keys for me. The room was great but was right off the elevators. If there weren’t several events going on in the hotel at the time, I probably would’ve dealt with it. But I went back down to the information desk again and asked Alaina if anything else was available and she said there was and processed a new key for me. I really hated to be the “high-maintenance” person but Alaina was very understanding and had a great attitude even though she was clearly had multiple things going on.
Well I got up to my “third” room and it was right next to the stairwell. Once again, this wouldn’t have been an issue but in a 25 floor hotel with several events occurring and only 4 elevators in the building, there was a lot of traffic in the stairwell. People were hauling luggage up and down the stairs. Kids were running up and down the stairwells and howling – it sounding like a stampede everything 5 min. But I dealt with it. There was so much traffic in the stairwell on my last night I almost checked out early.
The bed was great. I woke up to go to work Friday morning and was grateful to be getting out of my room to get some peace and quiet. When I returned, the hotel seemed clear of many of the previous day’s guests. The hotel is obviously old but the rooms have been nicely renovated. The room had a bay window so I did have a small view of the river. But I had to be careful about having the curtains open as you could look directly across into the neighbors’ rooms.
To top my stay off, on the last night of my stay I was awaken by a drunken man out on the street at 2:30a. I woke up at 6a and was checked out by 6:45a.
Other items:
Be sure to check your hotel charges. There was a $16 charge on my statement that the front desk clerk couldn’t explain and had it removed.
If you park at the hotel, get clear instructions regarding re-entry pass; it is a bit confusing.
The hotel should make sure there’s a “do not disturb” door tag in every room. I didn’t have one and housekeeping knocked on my door twice on one day after I told them the 1st time that I didn’t need anything.
Try the white chocolate bread pudding - it was delicious – don’t forget the ice cream!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Kentucky
Reviewed April 11, 2010

The Galt House is a wonderful hotel! The rooms are great and the staff is wonderful!!
The location is great with 4th Street Live within walking distance! A must stay in Louisville!! Melvin the Bellman was great too!!! Great Fitness Center.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business