The Galt House, a Trademark Collection Hotel
$123
CrownePlaza.com
$169
  • Pool
Red Roof Inn Louisville East(Louisville)(Great Value!)
$72
$189
$114
Travelocity
4,337 results
All reviewsrivue towerohio riversuite towercafe magnoliarivue restaurantfish tankview of the riveryum centerdowntown louisvillebourbon barlarge hotelconvention centerthird floorfourth street liveconferenceconservatoryskywalk
Reviewed September 23, 2006

I booked this hotel via Priceline and was absolutely dreading my stay after reading the reviews on this site. However, my stay was perfectly pleasant, if nothing to write home about.

When checking in, I found the staff perfectly polite. The service was not as fast as it could have been (especially given that there were 4 people at the desk but only two were doing check-ins, while the others fiddled with computers...perhaps doing work?), but was a tolerable 15 minute wait.

My room was in the West Tower, but the woman at the desk reassured me that it was renovated. I received a spacious corner room that indeed had been renovated. The room was clean when I arrived. The bathroom was beautiful and the decor of the bedroom attractive. During the day, opening the drapes provided plenty of light -- at night, the room was a bit dark, but the 3 lamps provide more than adequate light and the light-colored wallpaper helps prevent it from looking gloomy. Bed was perfectly fine, and pillows were super soft. While the fan in the bathroom did turn off anytime you turned the light on, it did not make the unholy racket mentioned elsewhere on this site.

Called the front desk right after our arrival to report a lightbulb in that was out, and maintenance responded within 15 minutes. One of the employees was super sweet and helpful in helping me arrange transportation to my meeting and to the airport.

I did have to wait a few times for the elevators, which was irritating, but it was only a few times. Hallway on my floor was very warm, as if they were trying to save money by not air conditioning it, but other common areas were perfectly fine temperature. Air conditioning in my room worked just fine.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here -- and the room far exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank blondedawn
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We chose the Galh House because an event we were attending was nearby. We quickly realized we traded convenience for poor service.
Upon checking in, the staff did not acknowledge me until I was right up to the counter. I felt as if I had interrupted his conversation with his fellow employees by asking to be checked in.
The second morning we came back to our room to find the used glasses and coffee pot had not been changed, the waste baskets not emptied and the floor not vacuumed. The third day, we called housekeeping and requested new glasses and a coffee pot or we would not have got them. On the fourth day, but room had still not been vacuumed. We did however continue to receive new glasses I believe because we requested them. Upon talking to other guests, we discovered their rooms had not been cleaned beyond changing the towels either.
I called the hotel four times and talked to four different levels of management trying to get an explanation for the less than desirable service, but only got an "I'm not happy to hear about that, I'll check into it". We never heard back from them.
The parking was very pricy as well.
The one good thing about our stay was the excellant service from the restaurant staff. They were friendly, courteous and more than helpful. They made us feel welcome and were a nice start to our morning.
It is very unlikely we will be staying at the Galt House again and do not recommend it to anyone else. For the price, I'm sure there are many other nice hotels in the area.

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank quiet-listener
Reviewed August 25, 2006

I booked this hotel visit on Priceline and paid at least 50% less than standard rates at this hotel. I was shocked that we got accepted for such a low rate.

Parking in the garage attached to the hotel is $5 on the weekend. We were given room 2426 in the west tower of the hotel. The 25th floor is a revolving restaurant.

We had a lovely view of the downtown area and the river off to the left of our hotel room.

There were granite countertops in the bathroom and outside the bathroom with the sink. The toilet was rapid flush and was forceful. The shower had plenty of hot water for all 3 of us to shower in the morning.

They were generous with coffee, two packs of caffeinated and two packs of decaffeinated. The coffeemaker worked fine.

The television was a 25 inch. It was inside a beautiful cherry cabinet with drawers underneath. There was a good selection of channels, nearly 100, but I don't think there was HBO or pay channels. Possibly there was Showtime available...

The pillows were incredibly soft and the mattress was firm, but very comfortable. There was hardly any noise on the 24th floor. There was a very light knocking sound, possibly from the revolving restaurant the floor above us, but it was not loud enough to be an annoyance or keep us awake.

The hotel was security conscious. We ordered out for food and they would not allow the delivery person up to our room. They had him call us and meet him in the lobby.

We did not order room service. We walked to The Old Spaghetti Factory, 1 block up and 2 blocks over. There is lots nearby to walk to. Hard Rock Cafe is a close walk. There are horse drawn carriage rides nearby. The Louisville Slugger Museum, the Muhammad Ali museum is nearby, within walking distance. The Belle of Louisville paddleboat is right outside the hotel.

This was a terrific place to stay and a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank MMMichele
Reviewed August 22, 2006

We stayed on the renovated "suite" side and we had an excellent rate. The room itself was quite large, well layed out, and well above expectations. i felt like we got an excellent deal in that regard. However, the ice machine outside of our room was broken, there was a terrible smell in the hallways both days we were there. It smelled like a chemical, perhaps sprayed to kill bugs. The window would not close & lock completely, which was a concern since we had a toddler in our room. One of the lights in the bathroom was blinking and then went out. The clock alarm in the next room went off in the morning and woke us up. It went on like that for several minutes. I called dowstairs and they did get it turned off, but I thought the maid should check for this kind of thing when the someone checked out. I called for pillows and they never came, I had to call back 30 minutes later and I really didn't get much of an apology, but they did bring it up. No one told us there was no trolley service on the 4th of July. We waited outside a long time, and even someone from guest services came by and was talking to us (he was very nice) but he was unaware of it as well. Overall, this hotel has great potential and a reasonable rate for the room. But, they need to pay more attention to the little details to be somewhere I would absolutely go back to.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank Kayla_K
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I stayed at the Galt Hotel when taking a class on ecology. The hotel is very swank. The furniture was solid cherry and very nice. It is a very short walk down a stairwell to a park overlooking the Ohio, as well as to the paddlewheelers which you can ride on.

There was an overemphasis at the Galt on smoking cigars and drinking bourbon and betting on horses, but apparently there is a lot of emphasis on that all over town. (Louisville is a nice place to visit but I would not want to live there for that and other reasons.)

All in all, the Galt is a great value for the money, and the best time to save apparently is in summer when the Derby is not being held, and the Louisville Sluggers are not playing. We got our rooms very cheaply then.

2  Thank Oldmoviefan