“Less than desirable service!”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #41 of 103 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed August 26, 2006

We chose the Galh House because an event we were attending was nearby. We quickly realized we traded convenience for poor service.
Upon checking in, the staff did not acknowledge me until I was right up to the counter. I felt as if I had interrupted his conversation with his fellow employees by asking to be checked in.
The second morning we came back to our room to find the used glasses and coffee pot had not been changed, the waste baskets not emptied and the floor not vacuumed. The third day, we called housekeeping and requested new glasses and a coffee pot or we would not have got them. On the fourth day, but room had still not been vacuumed. We did however continue to receive new glasses I believe because we requested them. Upon talking to other guests, we discovered their rooms had not been cleaned beyond changing the towels either.
I called the hotel four times and talked to four different levels of management trying to get an explanation for the less than desirable service, but only got an "I'm not happy to hear about that, I'll check into it". We never heard back from them.
The parking was very pricy as well.
The one good thing about our stay was the excellant service from the restaurant staff. They were friendly, courteous and more than helpful. They made us feel welcome and were a nice start to our morning.
It is very unlikely we will be staying at the Galt House again and do not recommend it to anyone else. For the price, I'm sure there are many other nice hotels in the area.

Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank quiet-listener
Write a ReviewReviews (4,271)

Reviewed August 25, 2006

I booked this hotel visit on Priceline and paid at least 50% less than standard rates at this hotel. I was shocked that we got accepted for such a low rate.

Parking in the garage attached to the hotel is $5 on the weekend. We were given room 2426 in the west tower of the hotel. The 25th floor is a revolving restaurant.

We had a lovely view of the downtown area and the river off to the left of our hotel room.

There were granite countertops in the bathroom and outside the bathroom with the sink. The toilet was rapid flush and was forceful. The shower had plenty of hot water for all 3 of us to shower in the morning.

They were generous with coffee, two packs of caffeinated and two packs of decaffeinated. The coffeemaker worked fine.

The television was a 25 inch. It was inside a beautiful cherry cabinet with drawers underneath. There was a good selection of channels, nearly 100, but I don't think there was HBO or pay channels. Possibly there was Showtime available...

The pillows were incredibly soft and the mattress was firm, but very comfortable. There was hardly any noise on the 24th floor. There was a very light knocking sound, possibly from the revolving restaurant the floor above us, but it was not loud enough to be an annoyance or keep us awake.

The hotel was security conscious. We ordered out for food and they would not allow the delivery person up to our room. They had him call us and meet him in the lobby.

We did not order room service. We walked to The Old Spaghetti Factory, 1 block up and 2 blocks over. There is lots nearby to walk to. Hard Rock Cafe is a close walk. There are horse drawn carriage rides nearby. The Louisville Slugger Museum, the Muhammad Ali museum is nearby, within walking distance. The Belle of Louisville paddleboat is right outside the hotel.

This was a terrific place to stay and a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6  Thank MMMichele
Reviewed August 22, 2006

We stayed on the renovated "suite" side and we had an excellent rate. The room itself was quite large, well layed out, and well above expectations. i felt like we got an excellent deal in that regard. However, the ice machine outside of our room was broken, there was a terrible smell in the hallways both days we were there. It smelled like a chemical, perhaps sprayed to kill bugs. The window would not close & lock completely, which was a concern since we had a toddler in our room. One of the lights in the bathroom was blinking and then went out. The clock alarm in the next room went off in the morning and woke us up. It went on like that for several minutes. I called dowstairs and they did get it turned off, but I thought the maid should check for this kind of thing when the someone checked out. I called for pillows and they never came, I had to call back 30 minutes later and I really didn't get much of an apology, but they did bring it up. No one told us there was no trolley service on the 4th of July. We waited outside a long time, and even someone from guest services came by and was talking to us (he was very nice) but he was unaware of it as well. Overall, this hotel has great potential and a reasonable rate for the room. But, they need to pay more attention to the little details to be somewhere I would absolutely go back to.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Kayla_K
Reviewed August 21, 2006

I stayed at the Galt Hotel when taking a class on ecology. The hotel is very swank. The furniture was solid cherry and very nice. It is a very short walk down a stairwell to a park overlooking the Ohio, as well as to the paddlewheelers which you can ride on.

There was an overemphasis at the Galt on smoking cigars and drinking bourbon and betting on horses, but apparently there is a lot of emphasis on that all over town. (Louisville is a nice place to visit but I would not want to live there for that and other reasons.)

All in all, the Galt is a great value for the money, and the best time to save apparently is in summer when the Derby is not being held, and the Louisville Sluggers are not playing. We got our rooms very cheaply then.

2  Thank Oldmoviefan
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I had a wholly unprecedented experience at the Galt House in May, 2006: my assigned room was occupied by another person. I walked right in on a man in bed, watching tv. Luckily he was clothed.
The rooms with views of the Ohio River are very loud with freeway noise (to my ears).
One restaurant--on the 3rd floor as I recall--actually has windows looking out on the riverside freeway, a view (and auto audio) with dining that only a Los Angelino could love.
Despite these problems, I actually returned to Galt House on my return from the east. This time the first 2 rooms I was assigned to had not been made up.
The very helpful Bell man, Charlie, saw to it that my room was provided with linen and accessories.

I'd make Charlie manager of Galt House.

As it stands, it's a $109+ crap shoot.

P.A. from Boulder, Colorado

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank paboulder
Reviewed June 28, 2006

In preparing for my trip to Louisville I was lured to the Galt House because of its history and the desire to stay away from other chains in the downtown area. While the core of the hotel is beautiful, there's still a lot to be desired.

Upon check-in (which took 45 minutes) I was sent to the West Tower, Room 328.

After parking I made my way to the room. When I entered into the room I immediately noticed earrings and a hair brush left on the night stand.

I'm surprised I noticed that first, because at the same time there were kids peering into the window from the escalator landing just outside my room. (There was no window in my room, just a floor to ceiling pane of glass that opened up to the third floor escalator landing.)

There is no internet access in the West Tower. (but if your room is on the third floor, you may pick up wireless internet from the cafe area on the bridge that crosses over Fourth Street to the main hotel building).

The rooms are not modern. They are dirty. The furniture is old. The bedding linens are old and need to be replaced. Customer service was unsympathetic and acknowledged that the rooms left much to be desired.

Also, the parking garage elevators smell like urine, and are dirtier than they should be.

This hotel is in need of SERIOUS work.

If you are attending a convention, stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott. They are closer and you can trust the chains for basic, clean rooms and decent customer service. There's no doubt in my mind that the Galt House is the 'last resort' that a convention attender would want to stay at.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank Chad S
A TripAdvisor Member
Hayward, CA
Reviewed June 21, 2006

I stayed at the Galt House for one week while attending a conference at the same hotel, and when I checked in on Monday afternoon at 5:30pm, it took 30 minutes to get a room key. Even though I made reservations 3 months before, they told me that housekeeping was behind and the hotel had been overbooked, but that they had a room for me. However, the manager had informed me that the room will not be cleaned and ready until 8:00pm. I told them it was fine, as long as I had a clean non-smoking room. I waited in their Conservatory for two hours then went to my room on the 7th floor of the West Tower, only to find out that it had not been cleaned AND it was a smoking floor! I waited another 30 minutes in the unmade room hoping that housekeeping would arrive soon. When they didn't come, I went back to the front desk and asked for another room. The guy told me again that they were overbooked and that it was the only room available, even though it was a smoking room. He told me it would be another 30 minutes for housekeeping to clean it and that he would get me another room for the other 3 nights of my stay. After waiting another 30 minutes, I called housekeeping myself only to find out that they were not previously informed and would send someone up soon. It was not until 9:30pm until housekeeping arrived, and cleaned my room. As for the room itself, the room was outdated and smelly. I assume the whole West Tower is like that since it had not yet been renovated. The next morning, I went back to the front desk to get another room, and fortunately for me, they had a room for me in the renovated East Tower on the 4th floor. I went to the room after housekeeping had cleaned it, and I was amazed at the difference! It was huge! About twice the size of the room I had in the West Tower. It was a one bedroom suite with a living room, a bar with a fridge and a large bathroom. The rest of my stay in the East Tower was comfortable and enjoyable. Also, the free Wi-Fi signal for wireless internet was much stronger and faster in the East Tower than the West Tower (54 Mbps compared to 5 Mbps). The only remaining complaint was that housekeeping did not give me any bath towels after the second night and it took two calls to housekeeping and two hours to get them. Also, the food from room service is not that great, so I recommend going out to eat instead. Though everything turned out well, the poor management turned me off, and I will not stay here again. In summary, PROS: rooms in the East Tower, fast Wi-Fi, great view of Ohio River, heart of downtown; CONS: rooms in the West Tower, poor management, slow housekeeping, mediocre room service food.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled on business