The Galt House, a Trademark Collection Hotel
$123
CrownePlaza.com
$169
  • Pool
Red Roof Inn Louisville East(Louisville)(Great Value!)
$72
$189
$114
Travelocity
4,337 results
All reviewsrivue towerohio riversuite towercafe magnoliarivue restaurantfish tankview of the riveryum centerdowntown louisvillebourbon barlarge hotelconvention centerthird floorfourth street liveconferenceconservatoryskywalk
Reviewed April 4, 2006

This hotel has mostly been renovated, but it still is in dire need of improvements. First of all, you must request a renovated room or you may end up with a filthy room with a 1972 motif. When I arrived, I had a used bar of soap and a used towel hanging in the shower. Also, I discovered an open safety pin on the floor, and the room did not seem to have been cleaned very well. Soap and shampoo were never replenished during my stay. The climate control is poor and the rooms are too hot. The rooms cannot be cooled below 68 degrees as registered on the monitor, although the room temperature will remain in the mid 70's.

The food is also terrible, so I recommend not eating at the hotel. There are plenty of good restaurants in the area. If you want to work out, the workout facility is excellent, although you are charged $10.00 for each use. Bottom line: stay at the Hilton or Marriott down the street.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank LeeLee37
Reviewed April 3, 2006

The Galt House was very nice. I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights for the annual Kentucky Head Start Association Conference. We roomed in the West tower, which isn't renovated yet, but I went over and checked out the East side. It was beautiful. The West side is pretty dark and gloomy, but it is clean and comfortable as well. The view was gorgeous. You could sit at the little table by the large picture window and see the Ohio River from my room. I enjoyed room service as well, although some items were a little highly priced. The River Grill located inside the hotel was very nice as well with a decent priced buffet and salad bar. I would definenlty recommend eating there. The main concerns I had was a very rude laundry staff member. I was on the wrong elevator and she let me know it ! I was surprised at how rude she was. Also, while we were there, there was an emergency situation (I think a small fire in the restauraunt, but nothing major. . . however, I am not sure what exactly happened), but I did not even know there was an emergency until I left my room and came into the hall and the emergency fire alarm lights were blinking. I assume they announced it on the speakers, but I could not hear that in my room. I felt that was pretty dangerous. Had it been a true, life threatning emergency, I would have never known. Overall, we were very pleased with our stay and would stay again !!

• Stayed: March 2006, traveled on business
9  Thank Raven G
Reviewed February 25, 2006

Everyone has different expectations for lodging and it is true that each person's opinion is just that!
I visited the Galt House for my third time this past weekend. The Suite I stayed in was lovely ...being large, clean and modern with a marble shower. The location was booked for me by my conference. ( I stay at 25 plus hotels per year) The front desk was very helpful and the bellmen were kind.
My complaint is that the rooms are NOISY. I am a light sleeper and wear 32 decibel ear plugs. I was awake with noise until 1:00 a.m. ( getting in bed at 10:00 p.m.) and then woke back up at 4:30...dozing on and off until 6:30. This made for a VERY long day of meetings and then flying to Wisconsin where I stayed at the quiet Hilton Menona Terrace and passed out at 9:00 p.m. This happened the last time I was there also.
I am thinking the problem is due to the intitial construction of the building as newer facilities do not have this problem. The ambiance is splendid but I need my sleep and prefer quiet to decor. The choice is yours.
I spoke with another consultant who also agreed that she could hear talking in the room next to her most of the time she was in the room and turned on her fan to try to drown the noise out, so she could sleep.

• Stayed: February 2006
11  Thank motherjanegoose
Reviewed January 17, 2006

The Galt House, quite simply, is a wonderful hotel. There is no reason, from our experience, to listen to any of the nasty and untruthful claims posted here on TripAdvisor.

The lobby is luxurious, the staff friendly and helpful, and the hotel full of life, vibrancy, and activity. We purchased our room on priceline for $45 and were upgraded for free to a mini-suite in the East Tower. Our view overlooked the Ohio River and, unfortunately, the electric plant directly below. Even with this it was still a view worth enjoying.

Our room was spacious, even elegant. The bathroom was equally well appointed and lavish.

The hotel is within walking distance of most major business places and convention centers and Fourth Street Live, the rather corporate but worthwhile nightlife entertainment district. We opted for the more local Bearno's Pizza and Pub--which couldn't have been more perfect. Local flavor, local music, and inexpensive drinks. All in all, there is no reason not to go to this hotel and even less reason to complain about it.

Sometimes I get the feeling that too many people posting on TripAdvisor expect every hotel to be equivalent to the esteemed Hotel Astor instead of enjoying them and the cities for what they are--lovely.

• Stayed: January 2006
7  Thank jgroshek
Reviewed December 8, 2005

We booked our hotel at the Galt House because the business conference we were a part of was in the same facility. When we arrived, we discovered that our rooms were in the West Tower. As we got off the elevator, we smelled cigarette smoke and it looked like we just stepped into the 1960's. There were 3 of us that were business associates and we paid for 3 separate rooms. We all entered our rooms and found that they were run down, old, smelly, and dark. The mattress hung over the side of the man-made bed frame and the bed spread had not been changed from 1960. Then when we told staff that we wanted to change rooms, they moved us into 1 "apartment" in the East wing. They told us that it was the best solution. So they put 3 business associates together in one room. Although this tower has been remodeled...we found that it was still not worthy of 3 stars and the money that we spent. They were not accommodating at all. We paid for 3 separate rooms and ended up spending the night in one room with the 3 of us. Again, I stress that we were all business associates and not close friends so this made for a very awkward situation, but in the eyes of the Gault House...this was a fabulous solution to their problem. I have to ask if this would have happened if we were all men??!?! We moved the next night to a nearby hotel
So it was NOT a good experience and I have NOTHING good to say about the hotel. It is old, the staff is rude and thoughtless, and it was just an overall horrible experience. Not recommended.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business