The Galt House, a Trademark Collection Hotel
$73
Travelocity
Good 3.5/5
4,296 results
All reviewsrivue towerohio riversuite towercafe magnoliarivue restaurantfish tankview of the riveryum centerdowntown louisvillebourbon barlarge hotelconvention centerthird floorfourth street liveconferenceconservatoryskywalk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We bid on a 3 1/2 star hotel for downtown Louisville on Priceline and won the Galt House for $48 on a Saturday night. We were pleased with the location and price we got it for. It's conveniently located in the heart of downtown and right next to the river. We participated in the Louisville Sports Commission Half Marathon and we couldn't have had a better location for accommodations. The Galt House was about a block a way from the start and finish line so we were able to walk to and from the race.

The hotel is nice. It's a little dated but a lovely hotel nonetheless. We were there on the weekend of November 9-10 and they had just started decorating for Christmas. The room was spacious and clean. We had a king size bed, a small table with 2 chairs, a large window, adequate lighting, and 2 sinks. The heat and water pressure from the shower was great.

However, I have a few complaints.
*Our room was on the 15th floor of the building across the street from the hotel lobby and next to the parking garage. One would think that being so high up would prevent noise from the streets below being heard, but it was very loud. The window did not prevent any noise from the nearby interstates, downtown streets, or bars from being heard. We were kept awake for half the night due to nearby cars and loud music.
*They nickel and dime for everything. They charge $10 for Wi-Fi, $18 for hotel parking in the garage, and refrigerators are available upon request but they'll charge you for that also.
*The air conditioner in our room didn't seem to be working and it made a loud clicking noise. Our room was still hot, but we eventually had to turn it off because it was just another noise keeping us awake.

While it's a great location and nice hotel, it's unfortunate that our sleep quality was so poor. If we hadn't gotten it for such a bargain price then I think I'd be more disappointed.

1  Thank Katie_and_Nick
Reviewed November 14, 2013

I was expecting much more from this hotel based on the reviews I read but it turned out to be a disappointment. The check in process was slow and inefficient. The concierge person was uninformed abort the area attractions and had to rely on the internet to research our inquiries. The room was clean but dated. The wall mounted heater was so noisy we had to turn it off in order to sleep.

1  Thank joe14224
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I completely enjoyed my stay. The rooms were clean, the staff pleasant and the restaurants were very good. I would certainly stay at The Galt House on a future stay to Louisville, Kentucky. If I had to critique anything in a negative light, I would say the housekeeping department needs to conduct a refresher course on cleaning hotel rooms. It wasn't dirty, however, the maid did miss some minor details.

Room Tip: Request a high floor facing the river.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Shawn B
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I came upon the hotel by chance, using an express deal from Priceline, not knowing what we were getting until we hit " book it". We were thrilled with what we got! Beautiful hotel. Huge and the signage is poor, but our room was very large, well-appointed, had a comfortable bed and the views were great. Getting to the hotel and leaving it are difficult, as well as dealing with parking. Signage in the parking garage is also very poor. We wish we had a little more time to stay there, but we will definitely go back and explore the area. We could see the bat factory and the Muhammed Ali Center from our room. Beautiful area.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for river view!
1  Thank Tashia R
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I really wanted to like this hotel. I had no problem with the room ( showing it's age ) or the hotel itself (huge) but in the service of this hotel.

First off, rooms here are not cheap. I do expect better when I am paying $$$ at the Galt House instead of $ at Days INN.

I expect that when I return to my room at 4:30pm that my room would have been serviced ( the sign on the desk said that rooms would be serviced by 4:30pm ). It was not. Housekeeping was in the hallway and we asked for some clean towels at least, expecting her to just hand them to us. She grabbed some ( not enough ) and followed us into the room. After setting them down she turned to leave and we asked her if she could remove the dirty ones. I guess she didn't like that much because she started rolling her eyes and mumbling . We asked her again and basically made her remove the dirty ones. Wow, we made her job easier and she is going to roll her eyes?She didn't have to make beds, restock anything, put the towels where they belong, change the tp, etc. I did not appreciate it one bit.

I wanted to like this hotel, I really did. But seriously it was just okay. The location is good, self parking plentiful , rooms were quite soundproofed, everything seemed clean. But service is lacking, it is over priced, hotel is dated, and we had problems at the lounges with service.

Seriously, I am easy to please but there were too many little things to make me want to stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends