“Off to a rough start but then what a fantastic upgrade!”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We reserved a river front suite to join in the celebration of a wonderful couples union. When we checked in the experience was good. The front desk found the the room we reserved and we recieved our keys. When we got to the room one of the doors wouldn't open with the key but the other did work. We entered the room and noticed someone's bag, they had checked us into someone else's room!!
We called down to the desk and they upgraded us to an incredible two bedroom apartment right on the river in the main building. Incredible upgrade for the mistake. The room service was prompt the food was ok. One suggestion if you order the nachos ask for the jalapeños on the side. I swear they piled a whole jar on there. Other then being in someone else's room the worst part of the whole weekend was the bar between the tower and the main building. Service was horrible, incredibly slow and unconcerned that we waited forty five minutes for food that never appeared. The waitress really was inept.
Otherwise great room grea time.

• Stayed: September 2013
There are newer reviews for Galt House Hotel

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Last time I stayed at the Galt House was in the late '80's, remember it being a little cleaner and up to date (for the time). It looks like some of the facilities have been painted over since then, some remodeling here and there, but I think the towers are starting to show their age. One of the bed pillows was mildewed/funky, bathroom could have stood a good bleaching. That being said, for access to things to do/places to go in Louisville, you can't go wrong with the Galt House. Other than minor issues with the room, the rest of the property is great (dining, meeting rooms, etc.). I assume, based on other reviews, that this was an isolated issue, and I would stay again.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

If your in Louisville, Ky this is one place I would highly recommend. It is just down the street from 4th Street Live. There is great parking and I will be back for pleasure next time. The front counter staff were fast and very helpfull.

Room Tip: King room on the east tower.
Reviewed September 19, 2013

- My stay was great. I had a suite which was amazing; clean and VERY spacious. There were fireworks at the stadium one night and though my room was facing the opposite direction - I could see the fireworks in the windows across the street - fantastic!
- My room was not considered a "view" room but I had a perfectly wonderful view of the river.
- Halls are wide so rooms are quieter than many hotels.
- Convention Prices made costs reasonable.
- Melvin is a great doorman/ambassador.
- There were 2 issues. One was that my room phone didn't work and it took an entire day to fix it (including overnight). And the second issue was that the bath mat didn't stick very well - and both it and I slipped getting into the shower. Thus 4 stars.
- There were 2 restaurants but there was limited marketing and pricing. Even when I asked about restaurants - the staff was not very clear. The less pricey restaurant was very good.
- I would definitely stay at the Galt House again.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the adjoining tower are great. Suites are fantastic.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Spent the weekend here and I must say it was a lesant suprise. Very clean and by most standards this place is huge. Many rooms have great views of the city and river. There is a skyway that lets you walk to many entertainment areas of the city including 4th Street Live without going outside. Food was very good and the revolving restaurant has great food and best view in the city. Our hair dryer mounted on the wall didn't work and it took 2 calls however I still had to go downstairs and ask for one after 11/2 hours waiting. parking is easy

Room Tip: we were in the sweets section so I can't gigve a review of a regular room.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have never in all my years of staying in hotels/motels experienced anything quite like this. 50 minutes for us to check in. 4 lines of people waiting to check in. One of the couples missed the wedding we were attending that evening, because it took them 2 hours to check in. The staff just took their good ole time and were very talkative with people checking in. Also, when we got close to checking in, the girl that was in the middle of processing someone in our line walked away for about 5-10 minutes! Really?!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here for one evening in mid September.
On the plus side, convenient location to downtown attractions and dining ... Nice river views ... Friendly and helpful staff ... Good parking options .... Comfortable bed
The only real negative is this is a pretty large (for this market) convention style hotel and it feels a bit dated and there are some rough spots around the edges. Some chipping of wood on dresser and desk in the room, common area are clean but feel like they need a more modern look. Maybe a little too much partying over derby week!!
I would say it is above 3 stars because of the positives, but needs improving to be 4 star.
Good value for the price I paid but think there would be better options if you were forced to pay full price.

• Stayed: September 2013