The Galt House, a Trademark Collection Hotel
$123
CrownePlaza.com
$169
  • Pool
Red Roof Inn Louisville East(Louisville)(Great Value!)
$72
Hotels.com
$114
Travelocity
4,337 results
All reviewsrivue towerohio riversuite towercafe magnoliarivue restaurantfish tankview of the riveryum centerdowntown louisvillebourbon barlarge hotelconvention centerthird floorfourth street liveconferenceconservatoryskywalk
Reviewed September 1, 2013

On business in Louisville, KY, I stayed with Gault House Hotel for 5 nights, August, 2013. Reception staff was very helpful and friendly and the hotel as such is quite magnificent. However, there the comfort and splendour stopped. From my 13th floor I did also have a grand view over the Ohio River, but I would easily have exchanged the view for a room facing another way. Below runs a highway, Interstate 64, with much traffic around the clock. On the river there are barges making their presence known, and finally there was the old steamship moored just outside the hotel. It too made quite a lot of noise. The Gault House Hotel is a very noisy hotel! Add to this that walls between rooms are paper thin. I had the misfortune to have a loving couple next door making four amorous visits to Cloud Nine in one night. They are to be congratulated, but how fun for their nextdoor neighbour at 2am?! A very noisy hotel indeed! All of which could have been made so much more pleasant for guests had insulation and soundproofing been considered.

Then there was the smell. Each to his own, I guess. But my non-smoking floor instead wreaked with a stench of moldy carpets. The smell was sharp and unpleasant. This should be compared to the fact that everywhere else in the hotel you were embraced by a smell of frying fumes from the kitchens; and I do not mean the alluring scent of good food - I mean the stench of deep fried fast food.

Well, all of this I suppose is easily overcome if you reasons for staying in Louisville are happy and pleasant ones. You would then care much less that your accomodation is less than what you had hoped it to be. However, the one thing that I find is quite inexcusable is the hotel's wifi. I need the internet when travelling and I choose hotels accordingly. Well, the Galt House Hotel wifi was really bad. There was no wifi at all during peak hours; that is, when hotel guests woke up and when they returned in the late afternoon. if you really needed the internet you were forced to get up in the middle of the night to find capacity enough to get online. This fact alone makes me hesitate to return to the Gault House Hotel. A perfectly functioning wifi is a must for any modern hotel nowadays, and sadly this hotel failed miserably in living up to this.

I was prompted to give them my evaluation of the hotel and I wrote to the management what I wrote above. I received a standard response back - an apology which was almost on the verge of rude because of how utterly impersonal it was. It would have been much more appropriate to not respond.

Hopefully other future guests will have a more pleasant stay than I had - and with the high-speed internet that guests are promised, and not the no-speed internet that I was served.

Room Tip: Make sure your room does not face the highway but rather face the other way
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank FluffyProf
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I debated over whether to give this hotel three stars or four. In the end, the hotel's cleanliness, great location, fabulous views, and lovely common areas added up to a "very good" rating.

My room on the 15th floor had an awesome river view, very comfortable bedding, and was immaculately clean. On the other hand, the phone didn't work, a drawer handle was broken, there were no hooks in the bathroom, no note pad, no room safe, no fridge, and I had to choose between the very noisy air conditioner or sweltering in the heat, because the windows don't open. The alarm clock would wake the dead. Also, something was very wrong with the front door, you had to push hard to open it and sometimes it didn't snap shut. I would have liked to communicate some of these problems to the hotel management but, as others have noted, it's a LONG walk to the front desk, there was no evaluation card in the room, and, as I said, the phone didn't work!

The entire hotel complex is so huge you could easily spend your entire time inside it without ever venturing out into the city. That would be a mistake, because Louisville is a fantastic place to visit, and the hotel is in a great location very near all sorts of restaurants, museums and the waterfront. I'd imagine the hotel is hopping when there are conventions going on, but during my visit it was eerily empty and the only place that didn't feel like a ghost town was the lovely conservatory area (a bridge on the third floor spanning the street between the two hotel towers, which had great views, comfortable lounge areas, a very nice bar (AJ's), weak wifi, an uninspiring snack bar (Thelma's), and a really cute aviary with canaries and other birds). The Magnolia Cafe on the second floor of the Rivue Tower had a nice selection and very friendly wait staff.

This is not my type of hotel, and I would definitely choose a more intimate hotel for personal travel, but this was a business trip and this hotel was perfectly fine, although I needed a map to navigate it!

Room Tip: Ask for a map of the hotel when you sign in - you will need it!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I try to always check reviews before using services at home or away. That wasn't the case recently (Aug 2013) while visiting this beautiful city during Ironman. Someone else made the reservation for myself and friend. After the fact, I mentioned that I had never paid as much for the worst mani/pedi either of us had ever received and turns out that the person who made our appointment had been quoted a different price when making the appointments.
The ladies who did our nails explained that they switch to whatever service happens to be called for as people arrive. So, instead of getting someone who concentrates on nails, you might get a technician who otherwise does hair color or makeup or vice versa.
I live in a huge city with a Vietnamese nail shop on every corner and saw the difference in someone who does only nails as opposed to a service "floater". While I did fully expect for the charges to be a bit higher, I found it to be much more inflated and did not find it to be nearly as professional as I expected from an upscale spa.
Not only was the charge much more expensive than other salons, it was a dissappointing result.
When we go back for the Derby, we will base the professionalism of the hotel services on what we received during Ironman and stay elsewhere especially given our feeling that the prices for those services were inflated due to the number of people that Ironman Louisville brought in.
The city and all of the local volunteers during Ironman did a fantastic job but the Galt House spa left a bad impression.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

A very strange hotel in an excellent location.
Our room overlooking the Ohio River was spacious, but the bathroom was small, no mini bar, and the furniture was scratched, the carpet very tired looking.
We booked our room via hotel bookings. com, and they had charged us for the room immediately upon making the reservation.
When I asked to cancel another reservation made the same way, I was told (in error) that they do not accept cancelations.
How absurd!
It was straightened out, but I advise readers to watch out!
The aquarium bar on the third floor is rather well lit, and not too bar like.
There is a refreshment counter next to the bar, which cheapens the entire effect.
The hotel feels cheap and made us uncomfortable.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank miamisaks
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I was leery after I read some not-so-flattering reviews on here but some of the points were valid. We stayed in the Suites tower and although the room and facilities were spotless and clean, there were many stains on the carpet and the couch. They are due to be replaced for sure. Also, while there was a mini-fridge in the room, there was no microwave so we brought one with us from home. Yes, the halls were not air conditioned and it was uncomfortable for a short time while you made your way to your room, I must admire their willingness to conserve resources. I was surprised that there was a surcharge for wifi with so many other places offering it for free. Other reviewers had warned us about the charge. I also thought the charge for overnight parking was excessive but evidently the market will bear it so it is what it is.

The location was superb. We were there while my husband participated in the Ironman race and the proximity to the event was hard to beat. The 4th street area was family friendly and I had no problem navigating the area alone while my husband raced. If he decides to do this race again, we will definitely stay at the Galt House.

Room Tip: We asked for a room high up to get away from the street noise. Most rooms have at least some view of the river.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends