“Mixed Reaction” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 94 Hotels in Louisville
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Mixed Reaction”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed in the Galt as part of a convention in June. There are two towers and the room I shared with two others was in the tower with the pool.
Good: Pool deck with bar and nice lounging area on the 3rd floor. It overlooks the river and even though the #@!* calliope on the nearby Belle of Louisville is way too LOUD, it's a great place to hang out. 2) The bar inbetween the two towers is very comfortable, has a cool aviary and aquarium bar. 3) Easy walking distance to convention ctr, riverside park, and restaurants.
Not So Good: 1) It's a little worn around the edges. Needs updating. Carpet in our room stained. 2) Had to close curtains at night bec we looked out to the other tower and could see in THEIR rooms so figured they could see in ours. .
I'd stay there again but its really nothing special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (825)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was in an excellent location! Comforter was stained, the phone did not work in tv room, had to call for assistance to open the sofa bed and move furniture to make it fit. Location was convenient, room was spacious.

• Stayed June 2013
Missouri City, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We came to Louisville to see The Eagles in concert. The Galt House appears to be amazing with the numerous bars and restaurants attached and the amazing location is perfect for anyone going to the KFC Yum Center.

My husband and I were pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms and the water pressure in the bathroom.
Beyond that, it seemed to be downhill.
The elevators take more than five minutes at times and I would say that is because of the large number of floors and the capacity of the buildings.
The 24 hour shop, Thelma's, is overpriced as most hotel restaurants are. The prices were not the only problem. I purchased and orange juice and a water and the bill was $4.98. When I got to my room my bank showed a charge for $6.23. While a $1.25 does not seem worth the argument, when I went to ask why the difference they tried to tell me it was an authorization charge and I am lucky it was only $1.25 not $5 or $10 because it changes so often. That tells me there is no "authorization charge" but maybe "a little on the side" charge. No manager for the shop was present and I waited for 15 minutes for a different restaurant manager who never showed up. When I went to the hotel manager turns out there is nothing she can do. Every individual shop, restaurant, parking and security all have their own company and manager.
Our door did not latch with out pulling hard. We placed a do not disturb sign on the door and made sure the door was locked and went about our packed day. When we returned our door was open with the do not disturb sign in between the door and the frame. We called security and they did an assesment on the lock and never got back with us. Which is beyond frustrating.
All in all the hotel is beautiful and in a great location but lacking in all other areas. We would have been better at any other hotel in the area.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Edmonton, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed there last night to attend a concert and it was super busy, we waited in line for over a hour just to check-in. Room was nice and staff was very helpful but they need to do something about the check-in wait. The wait time is the only thing that was bad and it was very bad that is why I am just giving a average rating.

Room Tip: Stood in line over a hour just to check-in.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
Centerville, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

lots of places to eat or drink. large rooms. place was packed for the Eagles concert that we went to. very nice to be able to walk to the Yum Center. plenty of parking I garage. lots of local places to eat within walking distance. nice view of the river

• Stayed July 2013
Pikeville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Love this house and its huge rooms. Right in the heart of the city close to everything. They have a 360 gym on the top floor and the view is unbelievable. Also, a salon for quick fix ups for every occasion . Very High Class

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Amanda C, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Thank you so much for the amazing review! We love to hear that our guests had a wonderful stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity to host you again.
Cumberland, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I only stayed at Galt House once, and had a spectacular view during Thunder over Louisville. The airshow was RIGHT there, and the fireworks were amazing, the thunder was thunderous! I like that Galt House is a tradition to the area and we like to visit it when we are in the area. It is a bit dated, I don't know if all rooms are like this, but its been a few years since I've been--I remember we were at the end of a hall, and there was a portrait of a young woman outside our room with her eyes cut out, so it was a little The Shining for me! I am very excited about the new Kaleidoscope Christmas event, we didn't go last year but I'm definitely planning on being there this year with my family in tow. I watched the video on their website about the marvelous works these skilled people create. I think my kids will go nuts! If you wanna stay at Galt House during Thunder, you may have to book years early from what I understand.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family