“NOT Friendly Customer Service”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Booked Galt House based on reviews as an overnight stay and paid in advance for a long road trip over Thanksgiving with my children. On the way, I had car trouble during the trip and could not make it to Louisville, KY. Had to stop in Charleston, WV to get the car repaired. Called to hotel front desk to explain that I could not get there, but asked could I rebook the stay for overnight stay on the return home. I understood the inability to refund, but the hotel would not let me reschedule for the return trip. They essentially listed me as a no-show and would NOT give me any options to use the paid stay for the return trip. I prefer spending my money at businesses that do the right thing. I will NEVER book a stay here. Spend your money at businesses that care about customers!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 1DallasCowboyfan
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

We are sorry for your experience. Your feedback will be forwarded so that the appropriate managers see it. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,234)

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Literally THE worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Shocking. Its filthy dirty-- every where-- even though the rooms and hallways reek of toxic super-industrial-strength drum cleaner. The beds are like a rock, linens a chafing polyester mix, pillows ancient crumbling foam. Heating/cooling system in guest-room is so LOUD one can't even make a phone call with it on. This, added to the incessant din of the Interstate reverberating between the two towers that are literally constructed right above it, make a good night's sleep the stuff of fantasy. Its impossible to know where you are at inside or out because the signage is so dismal. It would be funny if it weren't so insulting. The restaurants are hideous, the food's worse, the staff universally apathetic, amateurish and slow. When I found a condom wrapper IN THE LOBBY I knew it was a sign from God that sleeping in a refrigerator box on the street would have been far preferable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank andrew k

We are so sorry that your stay did not meet expectations. Your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for follow up. Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

A wonderful hotel to stay at! Convenient to museums, and restaurants within walking distant. Across from the Ohio River. Beatles Abby Road in May and other special events throughout the year! For Hard Rock Cafe lovers, Louiville has one alsomwithin walking distant.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank udaytonmom

Thank you for staying with us! We're happy we can be part of your Louisville experience!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The location was great. The layout and amenties on the property were really great. we loved/ the Bourbon Bar and the third floor lounge. You didnt really need to leave the hotel for night life. the bartenders were great especially in the Bourbon Bar. We stayed here for 3 nights. Each day they checked us out and we had to get new room keys when our reservation was for 3 nights. The front desk was rude in resetting our cards and helping straighten out the bill since we kept being billed each night seperatly. Also check in was horrible. When i made the reservations i said we would be checking in after midnight and when we showed up the lady was rude. She said she put us as a no show and we should have called. I told her when i called to make reservations i was told they would put a note on the file saying we would be late. She said she didnt have a note and somehow that was my problem. Also we were suppose to get a welcome bag for a wedding and we didnt. Other than the front desk the rest of the staff was great. the rooms were a little old and you could hear a lot of noise in neighboring rooms and the hallway. the buffett for breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

We apologize for your experience. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

The Galt House offers reasonable rooms at moderate prices. It has seen a refurbishment since my last visit and it appeared to have improved a bit. The entire downtown-area of Louisville is at your doorstep, so city walks here can be done easily. I had a minor issue with the food service delivered to the room, so we got our meals mainly elsewhere. The Galt House offers a lot of function rooms and is probably geared towards the convention and meeting crowd. Not all rooms are equally outfitted, we stayed at the tower part of the hotel. Several friends stayed here too, some had issues with noisy elevators or malfunctions in their entertainment system.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'l visit us again next time you're in town.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at the Galt in October 2010 during a student journalism seminar. Great rooms "suites" and the hotel was totally amazing. Great location downtown right near the river and 4th Street Live. If you gotta stay in LV then you gotta stay at the Galt House! I loved the hotel bar and the bourbon beer they served. Bartender was really friendly.

Room Tip: Go for a suite.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for staying with us! We're so happy to have been a part of your great visit to Louisville.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

This was my first time staying overnight though I have been in the hotel on numerous occasions over the years. This is a large convention style hotel and you certainly will not mistake it for a small, intimate hotel but the service is very good. It is an older property and has been updated significantly. The public areas look modern and up-to-date which is a big improvement from a few years ago. We stayed in the suite tower on the 14th floor at a discounted rate and I have few complaints about the room. Our suite was very large, separate bedroom and exceptionally large living room area. Has atmosphere of an older hotel but that is not bad in this case. The bathroom is large but has an awkward layout. It would be nice to have a large spa-type shower included as there is plenty of room for one but instead there is regular bathtub/shower combo (at least with a curved curtain rod). The single sink area is very small, towel racks on the other side of the room from the shower, tp holder is a stretch! It seemed odd for a hotel of this size that there is no indoor pool, also there is a charge for the workout facility. Room service breakfast was extremely good - from the server taking my order to a surprisingly quick delivery by a very professional server (and the food was good and served at the correct temperature). Minor negatives include no guide for the television channels, very dim room lighting, curtain pull rod was missing, curtain hook was off (I corrected this easily myself but no one had bothered to fix it). The mattress seemed a little old as I kept rolling to the center of the bed.

The Galt House seems like two different hotels with one tower being a step up from the other. Based on listed prices and other reviews, I suspect the Rivue tower has not been renovated recently. Glass enclosed connector on third level is a busy place. We had a GroupOn discounted room and at check-in (included parking) and I felt as though i got the same level of attention and service as those paying regular rates. There was even a pre-printed welcome letter for GroupOn guests. For the price I paid, I was happy but not sure it would be worth the full listed price. I can see how the hotel would be a very busy place if full because of a convention or YUM Center event.

The location is very good for exploring the downtown area (though not connected directly to the YUM Center) and parking is relatively convenient. The hotel is noted for it's annual Christmas event which was starting the day we checked out. The Christmas decorations in the public areas are great and the description of the ticketed event seemed family friendly would be worth taking the family to sometime.

Room Tip: Choose the Suite Tower, not the Rivue. Stay off of the third floor as it could be noisy because of...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KYJman

Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate all your feedback and hope you'll visit us again soon.