“Much improved over the OLD Galt House”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #27 of 96 Hotels in Louisville
Southeast
“Much improved over the OLD Galt House”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Remember when the Galt House had old matted shag carpet and looked like 1970's Goodwill?? Well, they have now moved into the 1990's (with the decor that is). I used to hate this hotel, now I like halfway like it. You get a huge room or suite with views of downtown, the suites are enormous, the food is average but edible. I have been impressed with the improvement in the attitudes and numbers of the service people that go out of their way to serve you (room service and bellmen in particular are exceptional). The Rivue restaurant is top notch, one of the finest dining establishments in the city. Jeff Rubys and several other restaurants are in walking distance (Z's, another fantastic dinner place and Spaghetti Factory if you want more casual family friendly, and others). The valet and bellman are eager to help and very attentive and friendly, one of my favorite things (they make it easy to get in and out quickly, unload and re-load and they go out of their way to make you happy doing it). Check-in is usually fairly quick and painless. I always have to get my room key re-keyed several times (usually every time) I try to use my key, which gets annoying. I stay here frequently and it gets annoying when carrying heavy bags to a very long walk to the room. The breakfast buffet at the (Magnolia?) restaurant is good and I like the casual atmosphere. The Christmas festivities do not rival Opryland (not even close) but they try and it's good for what it is. I do like the Xmas decorations in the bridge between the 2 towers with the location appropriate Santa's on race horses and the gingerbread area (smells good). If you plan to eat or drink in this area be warned that service is extremely slow. I won't be doing that again. There is no indoor pool only outdoor. And it is cold in Louisville past September. I valet park here because I do not feel safe in the underground parking lot - it is large, very dark, and creepy so I avoid it. I wish they had updated the hotel to a more modern style when they renovated because even the renovations seemed already outdated to me when they were new. It is very old style traditional. If you like super modern and luxe, this probably isn't the place for you. If you like traditional, southern river boat style decor, you will love it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
We thank you for your very honest review. We appreciate your continued patronage of our hotel!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (976)
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ok this time I stayed in the revue tower.. WOW mistake! I always stay in the suites but this time I pricelined it and got a good rate. PAPERTHIN walls . Heard street noise ALL NIGHT long . The hotel is old PLZ update your rooms. But staff still great. Won't stay here again. But will go back for a drink at the cool 3rd floor bar...
Rooms are best western at Best! 1 night is ok but more then that NO

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
We're sorry your stay did not meet expectations. We appreciate your staying with us and value your feedback.
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We went for a family wedding. 1300 rooms we understood which were all filled. It was a busy weekend with 500 guests in our party alone. Didn't seem crowded or strained. Hotel itself is worn but offers all amenities. Concierge staff helped resolve an auto issue in stride.

Room Tip: Tower side is away from main center of action - would request river view when making reservations.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us. We hope you had a great time at the wedding and enjoyed being in the Heart of Louisville.
Lexington, Ky
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Great location to museums, convention center, and restaurants. Nice and clean, but the noise from the interstate made for very disturbed sleep, even using ear plugs. Stayed here because of a package deal for the Princess Diana exhibit at the Frazier Museum. The deal included one night stay, free parking at the hotel, and untimed tickets to the exhibit. Good deal, but lousy sleep. If I stayed there again, I would request a room facing downtown instead of the river.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback.
Covington, Kentucky
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The location, room size, view, staff hospitality, & value can't be beat. I was there for a convention and every part of the experience from the hotel stay to the meeting rooms to the dinner in the cafe were excellent. Had a surprise fireworks display occur on the river right outside my hotel room window to start the weekend with a blast literally.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 26, 2012

My wife booked a room at Galt House through one of the services (can't remember). We were booked in the newer suites tower. Although the view wasn't the best overlooking the new arena we found the overall experience to be excellent. The room was monstrous, we wish we could get a similar-sized room when we have our kids, particularly a suite-format. The overall hotel was a little dated but was very clean. Help staff was extremely attentive at check in and during the overall stay. We went to the bourbon bar in the older tower and it was crowded, the observatory bar was loud and didn't suit us. We did like the Cafe Magnolia for breakfast. Again, very clean, large room. Perfect location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll visit us again soon.
Chicago
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Stayed here for the 3rd year in a row (my company's choice, not mine) recently. I really struggled with what rating to give. There are several things I like about Galt House, and several that I hate. I'll do my best to explain:

* Location - A short walk to all the downtown places (YUM Center, Convention Center, 4th Street Live and many bars and restaurants). And unlike most of the other downtown hotels, it's not right in the middle of the action. Less crowds and less noise from late night bar hoppers.

The trade-off is that the soundproofing at the Galt is junk. I could hear people walking down the hallway, hear noises from the rooms next to me and, even though I was on an upper floor, the traffic noise was loud enough to wake me a few times.

* Room - I've had an Executive Suite all 3 times that I've stayed at the hotel. All were very spacious. Each I would classify as clean, but noticeably dated.

The big negative this year was the bathroom. It was oddly small for such a large suite. Just a standard 5 foot cast iron tub, a single sink with a small counter-top (and walls on each side - I had to step back from the sink to brush my teeth or my elbow would bang the wall!), and a toilet. Add to this the fact that the tub had pieces of the porcelain chipped away and the wallpaper had stains in it, and it's hard to see how they can feel justified in calling this a "luxurious bathroom."

* Staff - The hotel employees were friendly and helpful. The desk staff was polite and efficient, The bellman who brought my bags to my room was very pleasant, and greeted me by name each time that I saw him. Twice I asked for assistance from the Concierge desk and both times I was very impressed by their attitudes and the extent of their efforts.

On the negative side is the valet service. I'm guessing they use a 3rd party company to handle this, but that doesn't excuse the poor service. Three days in a row I attempted to phone the valet from my room (they recommended that I do this for faster service), and all three days the phone just rang and rang. I didn't bother trying again after the 3rd day - I just went down to the valet desk and waited. First I waited for one of the attendants to acknowledge me and look at my ticket, then I waited some more for them to actually bring my car. Two of the five days I waited over 15 minutes in total. Totally unacceptable. Also unacceptable was the fact that the valet left something open or on one night and completely drained my battery. I had to take a taxi to my meeting that day.

* Dining - I had breakfast at Cafe Magnolia twice. Nice presentation, good service, average food. I stopped at Thelma's three times for morning coffee. While they refer to it as a deli, it's really just a coffee bar with a few bland, overpriced, pre-packaged snacks. The coffee was decent, but the wait was long. After the 3rd day I discovered that there was a Starbucks down the street and went there instead.

Oh, right next to the hotel is Jeff Ruby's steakhouse. I ate there one night and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, even though it's listed on the Galt House web site (on the Dining page), I don't think it's associated in any way. At least that's what the waiter told me when I asked if I could charge dinner to my hotel room.

* Drinking - I visited both bars at Galt. I wasn't too fond of Al J's. It's in a 3rd story walkway between the two towers - lots of foot traffic that's a bit distracting when you're trying to have a conversation.

I am, however, very fond of Jockey Silks. It's a fairly intimate bar with comfy leather couches and, most importantly, roughly 150 bourbons in stock (I'm fond of bourbon, also). In past years, I was waited on by a lady (I think her name was Jean) with an infectious personality and something like 40 years of bartending experience - her knowledge of bourbon is amazing. However, she wasn't there this time (on vacation? retired?). While the bartenders that I met this year were all very nice, they were painfully slow and their knowledge of bourbons was no better than you'd find at any other bar in Kentucky. I still give it a thumbs-up, however. In fact, I wanted to buy a Jockey Silks t-shirt (one was on display behind the bar), but the bartenders weren't sure where to find them.

* Fitness Club - I have only positive things to say here. Great views, good, well-maintained equipment, friendly staff - all at a reasonable fee. Spent many mornings sweating out the bourbon consumed the night before :-)

So, adding up all the pros and cons, I think 3 stars is about right. Not a bad hotel, but capable of being so much more.

1 Thank 630Steve
Thank you for your very honest review. We appreciate your feedback and thank you for staying with us.