“Nice Hotel for Meetings”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed February 22, 2008

I stayed at the Galt House Hotel for a conference. My room was a spacious suite, which gave me plenty of room to work and prepare for meetings. The room was very clean and comfortable.

The food was good -- I ordered room service a few times and the staff were always friendly and efficient. One night they messed up my order but corrected it and gave me a free dessert so I can't complain.

The location is good -- there are many shops and restaurants nearby. The shuttle to/from the airport was prompt. There is a great fitness facility on the top floor. They also offer massage, which I took advantage of and greatly enjoyed. Very relaxing!

I would certainly recommend this hotel for conferences and meetings, but would I stay here if I were traveling for leisure? Probably not. I'm sure there are other places in Louisville with more personality and atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (4,234)

Reviewed February 13, 2008

Notice: I have never wrote a complaint about a hotel before! I am a very mild person who is not easily worked up, but I wouldn't stay here again! We booked two executive suites in November before we came to a conference in February. Upon arrival, we were informed that they had already 'given out' all the executive suites and mentioned that they overbooked on a regular basis!We were then asked if we would like to stay in a regular room, and were advised to show up right at 11am the next morning to 'See if they might have a suite available!?! for us to move to. So, we agreed since we weren't offered any other options. (Like an upgrade for the inconveinice, maybe?) Upon arrival to our rooms, we noticed they smelled very stale, and the windows were sealed shut so we couldn't get any fresh air. The shower has to run for 10-15 minutes before you get any hot water; I finally decided after 5 minutes I wasn't getting any hot water and had taken a cold one when the water finally started warming up. And, to top it all off, our beds were very uncomfortable and so hard! Another small thing, one of our towels had a big worn spot in it. Small thing, I know, but once you're disppointed in a place, it's adding insult to injury! Again, I am not one to complain, and the company we work for paid for our rooms, but I wouldn't stay here again, regardless of who's paying!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank wannabetravelin2
Reviewed January 13, 2008

My girlfriend and I have stayed at the Galt House on two seperate occasions. Both times I booked through Priceline, so I basically didn't have much say in the choice of rooms. The first time I stayed there I could not have been more pleased. My room was in the newer tower. I would describe it as a miniature suite. There was basically a sitting area and a king size bed. We also had a fridge in the room.
The second time I stayed our room was in the older tower. It was basically what I would consider a standard hotel room. We had two full
size beds, a television, and a couple of chairs. There was dried up food on one of the comforters and my girlfriend discovered a fingernail in the bed. The lobby and bar area are very nice. We ordered room service on our second stay and it was pretty bad. We both
got pancakes which were the worst I have ever tasted and a pot of coffee which was worse than the complimentary coffee that they supply in the rooms. The bill for the room service was over thirty dollars before tip and wasn't worth half that. None of the food in the restaurants are worth the price. They also charge twelve dollars a day for parking regardless of whether you need it or not. On my first visit, I paid to park before checking in only to discover that the hotel was going to charge me again. Upon informing the person checking
me in that I had already paid to park, I was basically told "too bad."
I guess they would even charge a parking fee if you didn't drive. On the plus side it is in an excellent location and very close to lots of things to do. Our room was reserved through Priceline and an excellent deal. However, all the extra fees kind of ate into our
"deal". These include the parking fees and a 75 cent per local call fee, which I was not aware of before making those calls. Overall, I would say that it was a pretty good hotel for the price. It would not be for someone reserving a room at the hotel's standard rates. Expect
to pay an extra twenty dollars per day for the deceptive fees that are
tacked onto your bill that you are not made aware of until you get there. Also, the newer (not sure if it's just newly renovated or actually new) tower is much nicer than the older one. Don't eat in the
hotel either as the food is overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andyfurlo
Reviewed November 30, 2007

Was here for 4 nights in November for a conference. Not a great stay- but ok. I was in room 2125 in the west tower.

Pros-
*The location was great- a few minute walk to 6th Street Live and many good places to eat (not chain places) around the corner from the hotel.
*The fitness club was ver nice- although not free- and worth checking out.
*The room service chow I had was not too overpriced, and tasty.
*The place has a ton of space, and the employees were very nice.

Cons-
*Housekeeping. When I arrived to my room at midnight, I pulled back the covers and there was a large amount of hair and stuff stuck on the sheets in both beds. GROSS!!! Housekeeping had to come, so I didn't get to settle in until 1am. The woman who came with new sheets was very nice, equally disgusted, and says that this happens all the time.
*Also, (and I always leave a tip for the housekeeping staff)- they always forgot to replenish the coffee, cups, toiletries, etc. By the 3rd day I gave up, and just hung the do-not-disturb sign on the door.
*I didn't care for the coffee shop in the hotel- although others at the conference liked the food.
*There was a musty, moldy smell in many of the conference rooms.

All in all- it wasn't horrible- but I can imagine there are better places to stay in Louisville for the price.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank Ladyleah
Reviewed November 14, 2007

Some of my family and friends stayed at the Galt House on September 22. We were in town for a night on the town. We had reserved two deluxe suites. There was plenty of room for six people in each suite. The rooms were in the east tower and were equipped with up to date amenties. Was really pleased with the whole experience. 4th Street live is about a 3-5 five minute walk away with an abundance of restaurants and bars. Would definetly stay again and I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Waydonnat
Reviewed November 11, 2007

I stayed four nights at Galt House. The hallways and West Tower reception still need renovation, but my room in the West Tower was as nice as an average Marriott, so above average. I paid $50/night for my room on Priceline when my colleagues were spending $130/night four blocks away. They charge $9/night for parking, which isn't too bad.

There were a few issues. My room service food was not good (except for the cheeseburger, which was above average). But the service itself was very pleasant. The service was friendly and professional. On the last night they never cleaned my room, despite leaving at 9:30am and not returning until after midnight.

All in all, this is a decent stay for downtown, and I'd stay here again under similar circumstances. I do wish they'd renovate some of the halls and lobbies, improve the room service food quality, and work on housekeeping organization.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank gravitas
Reviewed November 7, 2007

I arrived in the hotel at midnight for a conference. The room was dirty. The bathroom was filthy! There was hair on the floor and in the shower, and the toliet was filthy! I had to clean the toliet and around the rim myself. The beds are very hard and uncomfortable. The rugs were dirty and hadnt been really vacuumed in a while. The restaurant in the hotel was very expensive. The gym costs $5 every time you use it, or $10 for the week. At one point during my 5 night stay, my room didnt get cleaned or beds made up. I called housekeeping and the front desk after the phone rang over 20 times, and was told someone would come to my room to clean it, and they didnt. I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business