“Fun getaway in the heart of downtown Louisville!”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #31 of 102 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Just back from a mid-week getaway with our parents for the 4th of July holiday. Got a great rate via Hotwire, so we were prepared for and expecting the worst rooms in the place with no good views. Instead, we were given adjoining rooms on the 12th floor of the Rivue Tower (about midway up) with a perfect view of the river and fireworks! (My husband perched himself on the window sill when we got there, and I wasn't sure we were ever going to get him to move.) I would not describe the hotel as modern and flawless, but I would definitely say that our expectations were exceeeded. Some of the furnishings and elements of the room were a little worn and dated - but they were clean, spacious and comfortable. There was an extra sink/mirror outside of the bathroom, which I think is worth a million bucks as far as being able to get ready without tripping over each other in the bathroom. We slept fine but the bed/mattress was not anything special - it was a huge king bed, but not super comfortable like the beds at some other hotels like Marriott or Sheraton. The rooms did get a little outside noise mainly from the expressway (didn't bother us, but might bother someone who's super sensitive to noise), but personally I would expect a little noise staying downtown in any city. I also have to mention that we had a great room service experience - it was very fast and none of us could believe how hot the food was.

As far as the hotel in general, check-in/check-out were both quick and painless. Self-parking was $12/day which, while still high, we thought was reasonable compared to what we've paid in the past at other hotels/other cites. We had a great time hanging out at the bar located in the atrium skywalk that connects the hotel's two towers (great views of the river and downtown). 4th St. Live and plenty of restaurants are within walking distance (there's also a skywalk that runs from the hotel up to the convention center and 4th St. Live, which we used to avoid the 100 degree heat). If you want a FUN place to stay and are okay with a few imperfections, you'll be happy here!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for staying with Galt House Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you had a good time staying in the Heart of Louisville. Please come back and visit us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,233)

Reviewed July 5, 2012

The Galt House is a little dated in appearance including lobby and rooms; however, we got a great price for the room on priceline and we LOVED the view we had of the Ohio River so that made up for the lack of modernism. Overall the room and hotel was clean and the front desk people were very friendly and accomodating. We ate at the restaurant on the 25th floor and loved the view from the rotating room. We were there for the 4th of July and could see the fireworks from there and it was great. I would recommend that the hotel look at some of the very dated cheap pictures on the walls especially on the 3rd floor. Those just give the place a cheap feel. The hotel is near the KFC Yum Center, 4th Street Live and the Ohio Riverfront. I would come back again to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the Ohio River...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

We're so glad you had a fun Fourth of July. Thank you for choosing Galt House Hotel!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

We came to Louisville for a weekend convention, and decided to stay an extra day. The staff was friendly and checking in took literally 3 minutes. The valet promptly took our car, and when we called for it, it was ready in minutes. Overall, this is a nice hotel, with several dining options onsite. There were multiple elevators, and we never had to wait long on one.

We stayed in a suite with two queen beds. It was clean, and included a refrigerator and coffee maker, along with a hair dryer and multiple tvs. The carpet was a little dated and had some stains on it and the sofa could use replacing, but the beds and the bathroom were both great. Our room was on the fourth floor, directly over the convention, but noise was never a problem.

For the price that we paid, the hotel was a perfect fit for our needs, with many offsite dining options within walking distance easily.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Galt House Hotel! We are glad you had a good stay and hope you'll come back and see us again!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I recently stayed at The Galt House in Louisville, KY for a horror film fest convention, and was originally delighted to see the rates were reduce nicely for those of us who were part of the fest. However, even at $129+ taxes a night I was severely disappointed in the quality of the room, the restaurants and the service.

Upon entering the suite I walked into either a massive dust web or spider web. I more or less blew it off figuring maybe the room hadn't been used in some time, but as I began to get settled in more and more quality issues began revealing themselves.

The living area had a 3 cushion couch with a fold out bed, and on the center cushion was a stain that I can't describe in detail do to my graphic image of what IT MIGHT be. It bothered me until I look at it closer and it appeared to be a bleach stain, but still this is something the housekeeping and QC folks at the hotel should recognize as an issue and possible complaint.

Upon further examination of the room, everything else seemed OK. Comfy pillows, comfy beds. So I decided to take a nap... I mean I did drive 600 miles through the night and was exhausted so any rest I could get before the festivities started would have been great.

Upon waking up I decided to jump in the shower only to find hair on the wall tiles and floor tiles of the shower. Since I shave my head bald and these were dark brown and 8+ inches long I assume it either came from the staff cleaning the room or a previous guest. Still it was gross and it pretty much made me at that point say something to management.

No one offered to switch me rooms, they just took a note and said it will be taken care of, well by the end of my stay, that hair was still on the wall, same with one on the floor. So much for communication.

As far as the staff, the valets and concierge were great, front desk personnel, especially the night shift, very snotty. Please don't even consider the fact my stay was almost $350.00 for two nights, customer service must be a low priority at this property.

Restaurants associated or within hotel were awful. The Cafe Magnolia, the food can best best described as THE BEST Laxative ever produced. Runny eggs, luke warm items, warm OJ, cold coffee. YIKES

Thelma's, a mini quick deli/coffee house was ok, pricey, but at least better than Cafe Magnolia.

WiFi is $10.00 a day and crappy. My 3G iPhone was blazing faster than their so called High Speed access.

When conventions are held at this hotel they only have 4 elevators and you end up waiting for what seems like hours to get on an elevator to go to your room or the event you're attending. The elevators are not properly ventilated so when filled, you break a sweat just taking the ride.

Hotel hallways are also stifling hot, and of course I was in attendance during the June 29th Heatwave weekend, so that wasn't much help.

Consider they want to think they are a 4 star hotel, they are far from it. I have stayed at HoJo's that were cleaner and nicer and better maintained than this place.

While I know I am going to next years convention, which is being held at the same spot, I am opting to stay at the Courtyard Marriot across the street.

This is a stay at your own risk venue. While suites are roomy and the beds are comfy, the cleanliness factor and staff response to this issue turned me off completely.

NOT RECOMMENDED.

Room Tip: Stay at Courtyard Marriot across the street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Gary U
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

We apologize that your stay did not meet expectations. We strive to provide excellent customer service to our guests. We will address the concerns you’ve raised and appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We got a great rate on this hotel through Hotwire. The room was very nice and the hotel was courteous although not overly friendly. Being able to walk to 4th Street was a real treat. The beds were just ok and the decor could have used some sprucing up. We enjoyed the use of the pool but the workout facility was $5/day/person and was closed at 7pm.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank cctravelerCctx
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Thank you for stay with Galt House Hotel. We appreciate your feedback and hope you'll visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights for a romantic getaway. We won this hotel on Hotwire for $65 per night. Parking is an extra $12 per night, no getting around it. The hotel is clean, and comfortable.
The only real complaint I had was the pool. It is on the balcony on the 3rd floor. It hoovers
overlooking a busy freeway. All you hear is engine noise from the passing traffic. It is not peaceful or even pleasant. So don't go there hoping to enjoy the pool. You will be disappointed.
We had a room in the Non-suite tower- It was spacious and quiet.
You will not be disappointed if you get a good deal price wise.
This is a big property, be prepared to do alot of walking. There are 2 towers of rooms connected by a walkway over the road. Inside the walkway is a nice lounge and deli, some shops, and a gathering place.
This is a big convention hotel that has some wear and tear. If you are picky, you may find it to be a little grungy in the public areas. The Hyatt a few blocks away - we walked thru it, had a much nicer appearance in the lobby.

Room Tip: Take a fan with you to drown out the freeway noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

We're glad you enjoyed your stay in the Heart of Louisville. Please come back and see us again soon!

Reviewed July 2, 2012

Our stay at the Galt was awesome! Thanks to the nice man at the front desk we had a great room with an incredible view of the river. I truly marveled at it every time I opened the curtains. The room itself was spacious, clean and classy. The double sinks were good for getting ready in the morning and I loved relaxing in the comfy chair and watching the flatscreen television with lots of channels.

The only bummer part was the loss of my mom's iPad. We discovered it was missing the evening after we checked out and returned. She knows she left it in the room by the side table and so far it it has not been located. Housekeeping did take the time to go and check the as it had no guests that evening. Security did take my report but they honestly didn't seem very concerned about our loss and said they would mail it back if it was found. I can only pray and hope that an honest person will turn it in so it can be returned. It was an amazing weekend that ended on a sour note.

Room Tip: Avoid 24th floor as the restaurant had a wedding there with a loud DJ until 11PM.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

We are sorry for negative end to your stay. I spoke with our Security Director, who says they are investigating. Hopefully it will be turned in and then we'll ship it back to you.