“If you depend on internet service, this place is not for you”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Bay City, Michigan
“If you depend on internet service, this place is not for you”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

This is now the second year that I stayed at Galt House. Once again, I stayed on the 9th floor of the Suite Tower, and while I was told that I had an executive suite at check-in, the room was not a suite, which was a bit disappointing. It appears that the room was recently updated. I had no issue with the decor or the cleanliness. There were two main areas of concern I had with the room 1) internet access and 2) the bathroom. I found the internet situation to be even worse than last year when I stayed here. I never had reliable service. Both my colleague and I were continually bumped off and at times it would take us more than 20 minutes to get any kind of connection. On the second day of my stay, I called the front desk and explained the issue and was told that, well, there are just a lot of people trying to use the internet, so it will be slow. I find that answer to be unacceptable. In a modern hotel that seems to cater to conference crowds, it should be expected that there will be many people staying there, wanting to use the internet. The system needs to be upgraded. The second issue is in the bathroom. We had a shower stall only. In the shower stall, there is a small dish in which to put soap, but there is no place to set a wash cloth, shampoo or anything else. Everything else had to be put on the floor. The same is true with clothing. There's not a single hook in the bathroom to hang anything. Also, the design of the shower leads to a lot of water pooling outside of the shower.

I visited the bourbon bar twice while there. The first time, I waited 15 minutes without even being acknowledged by the server, who had only one other table in the bar. That's not acceptable. I wanted to leave, but my colleague suggested moving to the bar, where the bar tender was helpful and took care of us. The second night I visited it, there was no issue at all, even though it was much busier.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. While we have just upgraded our WiFi to an extremely robust system, we are finding that there are gaps from time to time. I can assure you we have experts who are actively working to correct these problems. We are sorry your WiFi was impacted. We appreciate your opinions and will use them as constructive criticism to improve our future customer experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
chicago,il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at the Galt House for a Church Conference. The hotel is huge and shows signs of wear and age. The staff was accommodating and helpful and went out of their way to be helpful. The suite was spacious and seeminly newly remodeled with flat panel tv's tile bath and refrigerator, no microwave though which is little strange, fridge but no micro which would have been nice. The bed was the hardest I have ever seen, it was almost impossible to sleep on. The food in the Magnolia cafe was very good. The banquet food at the conference was delicious. Parking is $$$$ Overall it was a good experience. The hotel has seen it's best days tho.

Room Tip: Nice shopping, in Lewisville (?) Indiana. The front desk had directions printed out for all shoppin...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
We thank you for staying with us and are sorry to hear that the matress did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback will be forwarded to the appropriate departments. We hope you'll give us another chance in the future.
Rayland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

This was our 8th year in a row staying at The Galt House over the Memorial Day weekend and was a very good experience. Check-in went very smoothly as well as every aspect of our whole stay.

Room Tip: When we go we usually stay 6 nights so we get the executive suites and they are very nice and roomy.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your loyalty in staying with us. We are so glad to hear that your stay went well. We'll see you again next year!
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed at the Galt House during a business trip to Louisville. I did not encounter any of the issues with the parking garage or the check-in being in another tower that some others did. There was plenty of parking (although the key reader was "touchy"), and the lobbies are only a few feet from each other via a covered walkway. The staff was very friendly, and the location can't be beat - you can walk anywhere downtown in just a few minutes. Also, being a runner, it was a bonus to be right along the Riverwalk - a 5 mile path along the water, with parks, benches, and marinas along the way.

I was in the Rivue Tower, and my room was clean and quiet. The only thing that I found odd was that I was in an interior room (228) which was on the shopping promenade - closed and quiet at night - and my window opened up to the escalator lobby. That meant that I really could never have my window open, unless I wanted everyone coming and going to have a full on view of what was going on in my room. I did like being on the 2d floor, as that meant I could walk up and down the stairs or take the escalator to the lobby/garage, and did not have to wait for the elevators, which seemed to take quite a long time.

I would stay again, but would ask for a suite and a widow to the outside - river or street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has a window to the outside. And, just so you know, the rivue tower rooms have...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nattitude
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad you had a good stay and were able to enjoy being in the Heart of Louisville. Come back and see us again soon!
Andrews, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

Just completed my annual trek to Louisville to attend Abbey Road on the River Beatles festival and as usual stayed at the Galt House due to it's proximity to the event. This is the ninth year that my buddies and I have stayed at the Galt House in conjunction with the festival. As usual, check in was a little chaotic due to the number of people doing the same thing at the same time, but went off without a hitch. The only minor issue was that we wanted to stay on the third floor to avoid the elevators but had to settle on the fourth floor instead which meant climbing one flight of stairs (not that big of a deal). When the hotel is full the elevators can become a challenge since there are only four of them to each tower in the facility. However, the rooms are spacious, pool is nice, and the maids were accomadating to our wishes when cleaning the rooms. Really, my only complaint is the lack of a microwave in our room. The parking garage was under construction which caused some minor problems as well but I guess they are working to make it better so cannot complain about that. All in all things went very well and with four splitting the cost of one suite, it was not that expensive.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
We thank you for being such a loyal guest! Glad to hear you had a great time at Abbey Road on the River. We appreciate your feedback and will hopefully see you again next year!
Mobile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2012

I stayed at the Galt House last week for a conference and was very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendliness of the staff. My only issue was that the hotel bar, AJ's, employs bartenders that do not know how to make an Old Fashioned, which, along with the Mint Julep, is a Louisville standard. Of course, these were daytime bartenders, so perhaps therein lies the explanation...

Room Tip: Stay in the Rivue tower in an east-facing room if you want to have a good view of the Ohio River...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
We're so glad you had a great stay! We hope you'll come visit us many more times in the future! And you're right about the Old Fashioned's... we'll get that worked out for you next time!
Cookeville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2012

Nice hotel, though prices shoot thru the roof during big event weekends (no different than anywhere else) We enjoyed the close proximity to downtown and the ability to walk to 4th St. Live (a Must Do in Louisville) Clean rooms, friendly staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Blayne79
GaltCustomerCare, Public Relations Manager at Galt House Hotel, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
We thank you so much for your kind review. So glad you had a great stay and we hope to see you again soon!