“Noisy!”

Ranked #26 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Lexington, Kentucky
“Noisy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

The room was nice but I was on the 6th floor facing the other tower and the interstate traffic was loud. It woke me up a few times. The walls must be thin or I had some loud girls next door because I could hear most of their conversations! The room was clean and up to date!

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

We had a very pleasant stay at the Galt House. The room was large and clean. The beds were comfortable. And, the room service was very good. Our room had a terrific view of the Ohio River.

I learned a few things about the Galt: It's a bit of a party hotel at times; nice and quiet during the week, but plenty of people during the weekend. There are a few things that I'd have expected to be included and free, but you will have to pay extra, for example, there is a $5 dollar charge to use the fitness room (which is very well equiped by the way) and if you do not bring your own laptop computer or tablet PC or whatever, you will have to pay by the hour to use the computer. And, no complementary breakfast.

The location is super. It is near lots of restaurants, museums, and very interesting architecture.

We enjoyed our stay very much at the Galt House.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

We booked through priceline for july 4 long weekend. Hotel is adjacent to KFC Yum center and close to Mohammed Ali center.Parking is $12/day for in and out facility. If you are traveling over weekend, you can park a block away for $ 5-7/day.
The only complaint I have is that Al carte breakfast & dinner order takes forever. I ordered Alcrate on both the days and the average wait time was 45 mins. Not that the restaurants were that crowded but just that they were slow to react.

Plymouth, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

I would not have a problem staying here again with friends.
My wife would never stay here again.
That, is the problem with this property.

I loved the history, the great view of the Ohio River, the Jockey Silks Bourbon Bar.
She hated the dust bunnies on the ceiling, the slightly musty smell, the red fingernail polish on the tub and bathroom counter.

We both thought the door hinges could use a little oil. The walls are paper thin, be prepared to hear everything going on around you at night. I'm a sound sleeper. She's not.

He loved it... she hated it.

So, if I'm going to head to Louisville by myself or with friends for a weekend on 4th street or to Churchill Downs, I'll have no problems staying here again. I'll even go as far as highly recommend it.

If I'm going with my wife, not a chance on staying here again.

Oh... don't let the $12 parking fee catch you by surprise. You would think that would be included. Yes?

Room Tip: Don't put me next to unspervised teenagers!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I found the Galt House a mixed bag when my husband & I stayed here in May. We were in a suite for 6 days while he attended a conference. The suites are very large with 3 rooms - a bedroom, bathroom & living/dining area. Our room was on the 6th floor so it did not have a good view of the river.

After checking in, I did not have a good impression because the hallways outside the rooms always had a fragrance smell. Our room also had that smell like something was being covered up. So I awoke the first morning with a stuffy head. Since we had 5 more days to go, I did speak to the concierge about this issue and she put in a request for no fragrance. Of course, the hallways always had this smell. The living room area was always dark since it didn't have any windows. The furniture needed updating. We sank into the couch when we sat on it, so it should be replaced. This room did have an updated "bar area" with a sink & refrigerator. The bathroom was large for a hotel but had an odd layout. The wall with the toilet paper roll was located about 2 feet from the commode. Not an easy reach.

The bed was comfortable with what seemed like small pillows. The concierge staff was terrific giving me good suggestions for a tour of Louisville & local site to visit as well as directions. I found the overall service from the hotel staff to be very good. Housekeeping did an excellent job except on the weekends where only half the job was done.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dousman, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We loved this place - the room was clean, the hotel itself is beautiful, and best of all - it was easily the biggest room we've EVER had. There are 5 in my family and we are used to packing into standard size rooms and suites - this queen double suite was so big we could've invited 10 more of our closest friends in for cocktails. Location is also great - we walked to the Louisville Slugger plant, the 4th Street Live area, and to dinner right on the river. I would definitely stay here again if I ever get back to Louisville.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

i will make this simple.

1. Not family friendly. Drunks in the pool throwing beers to each other. Lifeguard (Linzie) not watching anyone and went into hiding to call ppl on get iphone, texted the whole time she was "on duty". She was borderline worthless and more worried about flirting with the men. Men trying to drop cases of beer into the pool from the 15 story balcony. Women floating on blown up sex dolls in the pool offering to flash men for beer.... Totally awful if you have a child. 10+ women and children left or didn't even enter bc it was so gross and uncomfortable.

2. Mold. Our AC didn't work on the day we arrived. I called for repair. Man came, removed filter.... Gross! Looked like it had never been changed! No air was able to come into our room bc it was so densely packed with mold. See pics.

3. No pillows. I don't get it. How do you not have extra pillows to offer guests? Also, rude staff that answered phones... When I called down to request extra pillows, staff was curt and unapologetic. There was a convention with hundreds of kids here during our stay. The kids were so misbehaved and obnoxious. Maybe staff had their patience tested.

Overall, not worth the money. Not friendly for families. Not clean.

We had three suites and no one was happy with the hotel.

• Stayed July 2011