“Great Place to stay, would do it again!”
Review of Galt House Hotel

Galt House Hotel
Ranked #28 of 95 Hotels in Louisville
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“Great Place to stay, would do it again!”
Reviewed June 7, 2011

Beautiful, and historic, awesome views, friendly staff. Walking distance to just about anything you would want to do. The fitness area should be listed as an attraction all in itself. If you stay there it is a must visit even if you aren't going to exercise. Anyone that had been there will know what I mean, the views from there are exceptional! :) We didn't eat there but there are several options with an impressive Bourbon Bar. We will be back. One thing that could use improving is the pool, it is small and there is no hot tub.

Room Tip: Use Priceline to get amazing prices.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
Tullahoma, Tennessee
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We stayed while our daughter had orientation at U of L. The check in was quick and staff was very friendly! I simply asked if we could have a room with a view of the water and she made it happen. The room is large, beds comfortable and view amazing! We had dinner at AL J's at hotel and the burger and chicken ques. were great.
I booked this hotel on priceline and got this $150+ a night hotel for $65 a night. Parking is $12 for self parking and $18 for valet.
We will stay here again!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I met a friend for breakfast in the hotel coffee shop early in the morning on the day I was to check out. About 45 minutes later, I got very sick to my stomach. (No question that something I ate at the restaurant made me sick). I was supposed to hit the road that morning to drive 3 hours south to Nashville, but after an hour of violent illness, I decided to lay in the bed to rest before I left for my journey. At this point, it was about 10:30am. I called the front desk and explained to them that I had gotten sick from something in their restaurant and requested a late check out so I could rest for an extra hour or two. The woman on the other end of the phone flat out refused to grant me even one extra hour to check out. She said "We are 100% booked tonight and I've been told that under circumstances am I to give anyone a late checkout. " I pleaded with her, asking if perhaps the cleaning crew could just put my room off until slightly later so I could stay in it for a little while longer. She said, "Ma'am, I'm not going to repeat myself. Goodbye!" And she hung up on me. I called back and asked to speak with a manager. I explained the situation to the manager and he reluctantly allowed me to stay in the room until 12 noon (1 hour past the regular 11am check out time). I told him that it was unacceptable for his employee at the front desk to have hung up on me after a simple request. The manager said, "Well, we are very busy today." I said "thank you" and the phone call ended.

There was no apology from the manager for the woman's behavior; no apology that I was sick after eating in their restaurant. No concern for me whatsoever. I did not matter at all to this hotel. They just wanted me out of the room and were not interested in providing an ounce of consideration, customer service or compassion.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 24, 2011

BAckground on visit:
I spent a week here for a conference shortly after the Kentucky Derby. I was in the Rivue Tower, not the Suites tower, which apparently is nicer.

Pros: -
My room had a lovely view of the Ohio River & Falls of the Ohio (when it wasn't too foggy/raining to see).
- Sicne I got the conference rate, the stay was reasponable for what I would expect in a mid-sized city
- the location is great. I did not rent a car and there were plenty of places to eat in walking distance. The conference did nto allow time for shppoing or sight-seeing, but the location should have been good for either.

Cons:
- my room had a terrible smoky/musty odor that I did not grow accustomed to in the entire week. I asked housekeeping to freshen it, The said OK, ok, and practically hung up the phone before I could also ask themt o fix the slow-drainng shower, then they did hang up. The shower got fixed, but the room still reeked.
- the food for the conference was horrible. I know banquet meals are usually bad,m but these main courses had everyone asking what it was.
- the conference facilities were not well managed - they did not provide the speeakers with microphones until late morning on Tuesday in the concurrent session rooms. These rooms held easily 100 people and the presetnters were really having a hard time speaking loud enough to be heard over ongoing renovations.
- the conference staff were downright rude. During one presentation a member of the staff kept treating a presentation room as if it was a corridor - entering thruoguh a door immediately behind the speaker, walking through the room & eixting at the back, then reversing the trip. The room/corridor
layout of teh conference area is awkward, btu there is no excuse for staff to be interrupting ongoing sessions repeatedly.
- the wireless internet was very slow.
- the rooms were very average. nothing that makes them stand out. No refridgerator or microwave. Althouhgt that's not required, most chain hotels in this class wold offer it.

Bottom line, I wish I had stayed at the Marriott a couple fo blocks away where some folks who were too late for the block of rooms for the conference stayed. It was about $20 cheaper per night & included breakfast. Yeah - chain hotels are boring. I don't stay in them on vacation, but for business travel you knwo what you are getting & I know I would have been happier. And gotten rewards points...

Room Tip: the suites tower is apparently nicer than Rivue T
New Orleans, LA USA
Reviewed May 23, 2011

I stayed there along with my husband and 9 month old daughter for a weekend trip to meet up with some relatives. We got a very low rate on priceline so I wasn't expecting anything fabulous. I was very pleasantly surprised! There's something special about the Galt House. It's not just another chain hotel. The quality level is comparable to a Hyatt or Marriott, but with a lot more character. The hotel is divided into two towers, one with the suites and the other with the regular rooms. Our room was on the 10th floor in the latter. Everything was standard and clean. The view was fantastic! The hotel sits right at the end of 4th Street on the bank of the Cumberland River. Our window didn't face the river directly but we could still see the bridge in the distance, steamboats, and the river walk area. We went for a walk at night and it was magical. There's an outdoor terrace that surrounds the pool area, leading into an outdoor cafe seating area. There's plenty of stroller-friendly walking to do! Just beyond the hotel perimeter is a square with lovely fountains and statues leading up to the riverwalk.I thought our tower was prettier - less modern, but nicer decor. Also the outdoor pool, which looked nice, was in our tower but hadn't yet opened for the season. The other tower with the suites has a conference center. Connecting the two towers is a conservatory skyway with a bar and deli inside. The staff were all extremely nice, granting us a late checkout and answering all our questions. Parking was $12 overnight - not bad, actually. In order to get a luggage cart, you had to get a bellman, so that's something to consider if you have a lot of luggage (allow for the expense of tipping them.) The elevators could be slow at times and were often crowded. There were definitely a lot of people partying in the nearby rooms (high schoolers on prom night, it sounded like,) but nothing outrageous. The downtown area is only a few blocks away on foot. There's a section of 4th street which (like Bourbon St) is geared toward clubgoers and barhoppers. At night the street is closed to vehicle traffic, so it's all pedestrians, like a street party. ID's are checked at either end of the street so that you must be 21 to enter the street party. A few more blocks away, on 5th st and Jefferson, we found a hole in the wall pizza place with new york style slices to go (everything else in the street party vicinity was pricey and/or didn't offer takeout.) The bed was fairly comfortable; excellent down pillows. If I ever go back to Louisville I will make a point out of staying at Galt House again. It reminded me of a Vegas Hotel. Lots of energy, late night happenings, and the sense of time passing you by.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Houston
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Here's the good: very nice people and friendly service. The rest is summed up as: not worth a penny. The "steakhouse" had an extensive and highly overpriced wine list, and the steak was absolutely abysmal. Rooms were Holiday Inn quality. Internet (after tech support reset the router) was a miserly 0.9 Mbits. This hotel has the conference center and a great customer support team. The rest is a pricey joke.

PA
Reviewed May 17, 2011

The Galt House is a first class hotel in many ways. The suites in the suite tower are very spacious and comfortable. The service is amazing and the food is second to none. It was expensive due to Kentucky Derby weekend but it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple