“OK Place”
Review of Breckinridge Inn

Breckinridge Inn
Ranked #71 of 97 Hotels in Louisville
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This is a nice middle of the road hotel that looks as though its best days are behind it. The hotel was clean and well maintained. This hotel is older but nicely decorated. The late night hotel staff was not very friendly but the morning staff was. This hotel looked like it was a show place at one time but the glory days has passed it by. However, it served our needs very well and was nicely priced. The continental breakfast was standard and there was a guest hotel which I really like.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Breckinridge Inn

Reviewed September 10, 2009

We went over the labor day weekend and we stayed two nights.It was very quiet and in a great location.My kids really enjoyed the pools.The rooms were very clean and you dont have to worry about bed bugs like some other hotels.They was renovating the place making it look even better.I didnt notice any smoke.It was a great hotel and everytime we go back to louisville we will be staying there.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I only paid $50 a night through Hotwire. It was rated as a three star hotel by them. I would not rate it as high. It's old and is pretty dreary looking. It's hard to find an elevator in the place. The upstairs hallway had no air conditioning and was suffocating, while smelling of smoke, even though the place is supposedly non-smoking.

All that being said, the room was clean, which is the most important thing. For the money, it was a decent place. I just wouldn't call it a three star hotel. I'd say it's more of a two star. I doubt that I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2009

We stayed here two nights. The king room was very nice, though basic. Comfortable bed with good pillows, good lighting, good view of the pool. To correct some previous reviews--the seasonal outdoor pool closes at 9:00pm, the indoor pool/hot tub closes at 10:00pm. Their fitness center DOES sell memberships to utilize their facility. We have stayed here several times and have never had problems "sharing" the pool with members during workout sessions. Their breakfast is basic cereal, doughnuts, muffins, bagels, juices, coffee, and toast, open during the specified hours. Parking is ample and secure. We have always found the staff friendly and helpful. The first floor halls do have ramps as well as steps. Internet was slow. We used a travel coupon and our stay was less than $60, which was a very good deal.
I would not hesistate to recommend this to friends/family. No frills, but a very good value!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Staff was nice answered all of my quewtions since im from out of town they gave me ideas on where to go and how to get there. room was nice had a ice view of the hugh outside pool. i loved it i will stay here when ever i go to louisville

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed at this hotel ( this week) for 3 nights. We were in Louisville for a conference and since I was late in getting reservations, I didn't have a lot of places to choose from that still had vacancies. Upon checking in, I overheard the female clerk talking to an elderly gentleman who seemed to be having a problem understanding what she was telling him (perhaps he was just hard of hearing) and I heard the frustration in her voice which immediately turned me off. She could have been friendlier, especially with an elderly guest. For the next 3 days, every time I was in the lobby when she was working, I never saw a smile on her face or heard a friendly word spoken. On the other hand, the evening clerk (young man) who checked me in was very friendly. We had a king room and it was very nice and roomy. The bed was filled with pillows, which was a very nice touch, because I usually have to ask for additional pillows. I immediately went to work on my laptop, but could not connect to the internet. A service man brought a small fridge (which I had to pay an extra $15 for...it was so tiny, I could barely get my bottled water in it) and I asked him about the wifi and he said the router was right outside of our room and he would check on it. After about 15 minutes, I finally got a connection, but it was very tempermental the entire time I was there. If I tried to use the laptop anywhere other than on the desk, I couldn't get connected. The room could have been cleaner. There were dirty Q-tips in one of the drawers and the bathroom could have used a more thorough cleaning; so that was a turn-off. The bed was very comfortable and the TV had plenty of channels to choose from. Our first morning when we went down for the continental breakfast (5 minutes early) , we planned to have a cup of coffee and look through the newspaper. There was no coffee maker in the lobby and the clerk (in a somewhat rude tone) told us we would have to wait until the breakfast was ready. I think this is the first hotel I've ever stayed in that didn't have a coffee maker in the lobby going 24/7, and we travel quite a bit! Also, most hotels GIVE their guests a free copy of USA Today, but when my husband asked about a paper, the clerk told him it would be $1, and I told him he could forget it. Finally the doors open for the breakfast. There was coffee (thank goodness!), juice, 2 or 3 cereal choices, bagels and 2 types of powdered donuts (the kind that comes in the box from the bread shelf at Kroger!) and that was it. No fresh fruit, as the website says. Later, when I went to get ice (1 ice machine on each floor) I met another guest with his ice bucket and he informed me that he had been there for 3 days and the ice machine had not worked during that time. We had to go to the first floor to get ice, and it was a long walk from the elevator to where the ice machine was located. Later (about 10 a.m.) I decided to go to the pool and I was amazed that so many people were there and chairs were limited (there were plenty of chairs, but they were almost all taken). There was a group of about 5 elderly ladies and their instructor doing water aerobics in the pool, and they pretty much took up the entire pool. Little kids were sitting in chairs with looks of longing in their eyes, but not able to get in the pool due to an aerobics class! These ladies were not guests of the hotel!! I find out that the majority of the people at the pool were NOT hotel guests!! The hotel obviously sells pool memberships to local residents. Am I wrong in thinking that the hotel pool should be reserved for hotel guests? There was also an indoor pool that looked nice, but the room seemed dark and uninviting. This is obviously an older establisment and I'm sure that it was a super nice place at one time, but the public areas really need updating. I saw a lot of peeling paint and the hallways (which were long and winding) could use a fresh coat of paint. Note of warning: If you have a lot of luggage and your room happens to be on the 2nd floor, don't bother getting one of the hotel luggage carts to transport your luggage to your room. We got a cart, so that we wouldn't have to make two trips to and from the car with luggage. As soon as we stepped out of the elevator and went around a corner, we were faced with steps (going down) and there was no way we could take the cart down those steps without losing everything. So, my husband took one load to the room (which seemed a mile away!) while I stayed with the cart and our remaining luggage. During our stay, several times we saw luggage carts in that same location. I don't understand why the clerk (who waited on me and knew where our room was located) did not warn us about the steps before we got on the elevator (which was directly across from the front desk). He could have easily told us that the cart was a waste of time. There was no MAJOR problem with this hotel, but sometimes a lot of little aggravations can add up for an unpleasant stay. Rude and unfriendly staff (hey! this is the south; we are SUPPOSED TO BE known for our friendliness!); housekeeping did not show enough attention to detail; NO COFFEE; dull continental breakfast; spotty wifi connection; nickel & dime you for extras like a newspaper & tiny fridge; broken ice machine; sharing the pool with the neighborhood residents. Again, the real plus for this hotel was the guestroom itself. It was large and our king size bed was very comfortable and we LOVED the extra pillows. Good television reception with plenty of channels to choose from. A small recliner. The only negative about the room was the bathroom. The tub was old and stained (no way would I SIT in that tub for a bath. ONLY shower!) and the sink faucet leaked; very little counter space. Will we ever stay here again? It's doubtful. I'm sure I will look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed June 3, 2009

Kori at the front desk was terrific. We booked online, but were given a coupon at the KY welcome center. You are not allowed to use a coupon if you pre-book, but since it was late on a Sunday night and they were not booked, we got the cheaper rate. The elevator and halls smelled of cigarette smoke, but the room was very nice and quiet. All staff we encountered were very friendly. We arrived late after a long day, so if you want to sleep in until 9:00 AM, be sure to leave out the 'do not disturb' sign, because the maids come early.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple