“Good, not great.”

Locust Grove
Ranked #31 of 171 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1790, Locust Grove, a three story brick Georgian home, is the final home of General George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville, and conqueror of the Old Northwest Territory. The house was built by his sister Lucy Croghan and her husband William Croghan who raised 8 children here and hosted their brother William Clark, of Lewis and Clark fame, as well as Presidents Monroe, Jackson and Taylor, Vice President Arron Burr, statesmen such as Cassius Clay, and several artists including John James Audubon. This National Historic Landmark has been restored to reflect the elegance of General Clark's time at Locust Grove. The 55 acres of gardens, fields and woodlands are open for exploration daily.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Elizabeth, IN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good, not great.”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My dad and I went to Locust Grove for Fathers Day, he's a big history buff. Neither of us had been there before and thought it would be meat to check out. We told the young woman who worked in the entrance area as much, and she asked if we would like a guided tour or just walk around the grounds. We wanted to explore on our own, so she provided us with a map and explicitly stated that "all the buildings are open."

We headed out and the first building we came to was the mansion. Beautiful. There was a small sign by the door that mentioned admission tickets, but as we were told "all buildings are open," we went inside to look around. There was a guided tour going on on the third floor, but as I said we like to explore on our own, so we looked around the other rooms and went back downstairs.We couldn't gain much as there was no signage in the house, do we looked around the three story building for maybe ten minutes, then exited the front door.

There we met a tour guide and some of the next guided tour. She immediately scolded us, saying that the house was only for the guided tour. We told her that we were told that "all the buildings were open," as we walked on, but she pushed further asking if we had heard the other guided tour. We replied that we saw it going on but just looked through the house and left. She gave an exasperated sigh and rolled her eyes. All in front of other guests.

This put a damper on the rest of the outing, which had just begun, as the house was the first building we had explored. This woman was very disrespectful to us, as the situation was a misunderstanding of the meaning of "all buildings are open." She publicly degraded us for doing something that was, at the point, moot, as we had seen the house but gained nothing from it as there was no more information provided than two sentences in a brochure.

I will say that the museum featured there is very well done and family friendly.

If you plan to go to Locust Grove, take the guided tour. Or else.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Aloos815
Locust_Grove_Lou_KY, Guest Relations Manager at Locust Grove, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve the experience of future visitors to Locust Grove by identifying areas in which we need to spend more time training. Our visitor center staff has already been instructed to identify which buildings available for self-guided visits more clearly. The passion for Locust Grove that our guides have for the site makes for great tours, but also makes some of us overly zealous protecting it. The guide’s response to our misunderstanding was very rude, and I apologize for the way that was handled.

Please contact me at jjansen@locustgrove.org to arrange a tour for you and your father, or for a visit to one of our special events like the upcoming Antiques Market, or the 18th Century Market Fair later in the year. We would like the chance to make this up to you.

Detroit
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A Step Back in Time”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Locust Grove is a richly historical tour at an amazing price! Our guide Charlie was so knowledgeable. We were blown away at how much we learned about the history of the area. You can stand in the same room as 3 former presidents. Highly recommended.

Visited June 2014
Locust_Grove_Lou_KY, Guest Relations Manager at Locust Grove, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thanks for taking time to visit and review Locust Grove. We let Charlie know that you enjoyed his tour and as a very new guide at Locust Grove, he was thrilled to be mentioned.
Louisville, Kentucky
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Relaxing and Peaceful”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great day trip - loads of fun seeing a bit of Louisville history. Wish they had more events panned through out the year.

Visited October 2013
Locust_Grove_Lou_KY, Guest Relations Manager at Locust Grove, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Thanks for spending time with us, we are always looking for volunteers if you have the time! Our Program Director is working on new programs all the time, so watch the website, www.locustgrove.org , for workshops, trips, lectures and big events like the Antiques Fair coming up June 29, 2014.
Tropicalfire
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nicely restored - Excellent guide”
Reviewed May 27, 2014 via mobile

We have visited many restored historical homes and this ranks amount the best. Not a glamorous home but authentic to its time period and the people who lived there. Our guide was very knowledgable about everything on the property as well as the time period in American history. Highly recommend this if you like American history.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Tropicalfire
Thank you for visiting Locust Grove. I will pass your compliments on to the guides and our Program Director!
Louisville, Kentucky
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Locust Grove Annual Garden and Herb Fair”
Reviewed May 17, 2014

This is about the Annual Garden and Herb Event, not about Locust Grove itself. I live in the area and didn't even know it was there. There is so much history in this one place. I found out about it when I got wind of the Annual Garden and Herb Fair. I attended that this year to see what was offered. 6 bucks to get in and the ticket is good for the whole weekend. The event is friday-sunday and I attended on friday. I got there first thing in the morning and there seemed to be enough parking. I think every greenhouse in the area was there. You can buy anything from good bugs for your yard/garden to plants you can't find at the big box stores and unique items to use outdoors. I was very impressed with the quality of plants and the patience each vendor had with my questions about the plants I was interested in. It seemed to me to be a higher end Fair, not for the cost of the plants, because I felt it was very fair, but because the people that attended really knew a lot about what was in their yard and what plants they were looking for to add to it. I bought 1200 ladybugs for 8 dollars, 2 hanging tomato baskets for 10 bucks each that already had tomatoes on it, and an aeonium kiwi for 8 bucks that I haven't seen anywhere. I will make sure I follow this fair and make it my annual event as well. There was a silent auction too that had quilts and a myriad of things to bid on but I was more interested in plants. It was raining when I went and didn't get a chance to tour the property, so I"m going back to check that out.

Visited May 2014
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

1 Thank trippingwizard
Historic G, Guest Relations Manager at Locust Grove, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
So happy you enjoyed the Gardeners' Fair - it's one of our favorites too. Don't forget to put the Summer Antiques Market on your calendar. It is Sunday June 29, 2014, 10:00-4:30.

Been to Locust Grove? Share your experiences!