“A History buffs dream!”

Locust Grove
Ranked #31 of 174 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1790, Locust Grove, a three story brick Georgian home, is the final home of General George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville, and conqueror of the Old Northwest Territory. The house was built by his sister Lucy Croghan and her husband William Croghan who raised 8 children here and hosted their brother William Clark, of Lewis and Clark fame, as well as Presidents Monroe, Jackson and Taylor, Vice President Arron Burr, statesmen such as Cassius Clay, and several artists including John James Audubon. This National Historic Landmark has been restored to reflect the elegance of General Clark's time at Locust Grove. The 55 acres of gardens, fields and woodlands are open for exploration daily.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Middlesboro, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A History buffs dream!”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I am a huge Lewis & Clark fan and this house has ties. It was the first brick house in Kentucky. The personally guided tour of the well preserved house was wonderful. And, it is right in Louisville near the river. Beautiful!

Visited February 2012

NC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wonderful Events at Locust Grove year round”
Reviewed November 19, 2011

This is a historic site worth visiting. The home of General George Rogers Clark is set in the east end of Louisville on rolling hills (great walking spot as well!) but more importantly, the events held there are fantastic. Look out for the antique fair, the encampment weekend, and more. Beautiful in fall and spring.

Visited October 2011
Georgetown
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Historically Correct”
Reviewed October 23, 2011

This museum/historic home is well a well organized, beautiful, and quiet respite within the city of Louisville. The tour guides/dosants are knowledgable and friendly. Wether you see the property with a guide or self direct your visit this is a good choice for seeing the best of the city.
Regular and periodic festivals and events take place on the well manicured lawn. These are great times to make a day of your visit.

Visited September 2011
KyMom1
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Lovely Locust Grove”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Locust Grove is the former home of historical figure George Rogers Clark and his family. My nine-year-old son and I visited Locust Grove for a school project of his, and both of us found it to be quite interesting. My son had never been there before, and it had been many years since I had visited Locust Grove, and I was impressed with how much the tour includes.

We started out by touring the exhibits in the visitors' center and got a great picture of what it was like for George Rogers Clark and his family to live on the original plantation in the 1700's. There were several examples of clothing worn by the family and other period items. My son enjoyed trying out a revolver and a butter churn that the family could have used. We also saw a map of the original plantation and information on various famous people who visited Locust Grove, including Aaron Burr, John James Audubon, Andrew Jackson, and James Madison.

Then, a tour guide took a group of us and showed us a short video about life at Locust Grove. Afterward, the guide took us for a tour of the main house. I especially enjoyed seeing the office of William Croghan, George Rogers Clark's brother-in-law, on the first floor, which had a kind of a secret entrance to it from his bedroom upstairs. The entire house has been restored so that it has paint and wallpaper very similar to those used when the Croghan family lived in it.

After touring the main house, we walked around the grounds for a little while and got to see such buildings as the dairy house and the woodshop. There was also a small gift shop in the visitors' center.

Overall, Locust Grove is a great place to visit, and I look forward to going back to learn even more about George Rogers Clark and his family.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank KyMom1
Louisville, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good way to spend a morning”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We spent our 4th of July there since it was a free day. My husband and I enjoyed the tour, but our 3y/o and 1 y/o were too young and antsy for a guided tour of the house. Our tour guide was very knowlegdable and answered all our questions. They did much better exploring the grounds (the other buildings and garden) and museum. The museum was an added bonus since I didn't realize it was more than just a room. It was informative and my sons liked being able to touch some of the exhibits. Bring a picnic or snack to enjoy being outside in the environment. Check out their website for special events - like the one in October - 18th Century Market Fair where they have re-enactments. We'll be back again when the boys have studying this time period in school. I think it will be very beneficial after having learned about it in school to see history come alive.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank nettdun

Been to Locust Grove? Share your experiences!