“Good way to spend a morning”
Review of Locust Grove

Locust Grove
Ranked #34 of 183 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Built in 1790, Locust Grove, a three story brick Georgian home, is the final home of General George Rogers Clark, the founder of Louisville, and conqueror of the Old Northwest Territory. The house was built by his sister Lucy Croghan and her husband William Croghan who raised 8 children here and hosted their brother William Clark, of Lewis and Clark fame, as well as Presidents Monroe, Jackson and Taylor, Vice President Arron Burr, statesmen such as Cassius Clay, and several artists including John James Audubon. This National Historic Landmark has been restored to reflect the elegance of General Clark's time at Locust Grove. The 55 acres of gardens, fields and woodlands are open for exploration daily.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We spent our 4th of July there since it was a free day. My husband and I enjoyed the tour, but our 3y/o and 1 y/o were too young and antsy for a guided tour of the house. Our tour guide was very knowlegdable and answered all our questions. They did much better exploring the grounds (the other buildings and garden) and museum. The museum was an added bonus since I didn't realize it was more than just a room. It was informative and my sons liked being able to touch some of the exhibits. Bring a picnic or snack to enjoy being outside in the environment. Check out their website for special events - like the one in October - 18th Century Market Fair where they have re-enactments. We'll be back again when the boys have studying this time period in school. I think it will be very beneficial after having learned about it in school to see history come alive.

1  Thank nettdun

Reviewed April 22, 2010

I have always enjoyed Locust Grove, it's very peaceful and the grounds are well kept. The house is undergoing renovations and well worth checking out. I really liked what I saw regarding the work done. It is more welcoming than most historic homes, it conveys a more lived in feel. The staff is very informative and eager to answer any questions you may have, they really seem to love what they do. There are plenty of out building to explore on the grounds. The gardens are very nice, I particularly enjoy the lilacs and the herbs. I love visiting when the have the Reenactors on the grounds (generally in April and October) they add so much to the visit. Your average reenactor can teach you more about the history of that period than most college professors. The gift shop carries alot of items for children, but a good selection of books, and lovely items for the home also.

1  Thank REBELGYPSY
Reviewed August 16, 2009

Locust Grove has a terrific hands on museum that walks children (and adults) through the lives of children during the pioneer days. They learn about what chores they would do each day and are able to interact with the exhibit which adds to their learning 10 fold. The grounds and home are beautiful- but the woman behind the counter was very rude and physically headed for him when my son picked up a pop-gun in the gift shop (it had a sticker on it that said "try me") I was standing right with my child and I would have bought the toy for him, but not after that experience. It was unfortunate that after such a nice time in the actual museum, a member of the staff put a real damper on the day for us. i'd give it a better rating if they trained a friendlier staff!

2  Thank 383kellib

Been to Locust Grove? Share your experiences!