“Derby History & Behind the Scenes Look At Churchill Downs”

Kentucky Derby Museum
Derby City's Distillery and Museum Combo Pass
Ranked #4 of 182 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kentucky Derby Museum, where every day is Derby day! Kentucky Derby Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Louisville, Kentucky has a commitment to engage, educate, and excite everyone about the extraordinary experience that is the Kentucky Derby. When you visit the Museum, you will find yourself immersed in the next best thing to actually being at the Derby! Our exhibits will take you through the journey from the birth of the foal to the winner's circle. Find yourself in the middle of Kentucky Derby week activities and Derby traditions. Or you can take in the view of the track on Derby Day from the middle of the Infield. We are the exclusive tour provider for Churchill Downs Racetrack offering tours 7 days a week. General admission includes two levels of family-friendly interactive permanent & temporary exhibits, "The Greatest Race," a 360-degree immersive sound and visual experience that'll get your heart racing and emotions soaring, Historic Walking Tour of Churchill Downs Racetrack, a chance to meet our resident Thoroughbred and miniature horse, access to the Finish Line Gift Shop, Kentucky fare in the Derby Cafè and much more!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My group was undecided about going to the museum. We arrived at Churchill Downs and pulled into the parking lot intending only to get a snapshot in front of the famous structure. At the last minute we decided to spend a couple of hours (and $14 per person) going through the museum. I was happy that a guided tour of the paddock area and track was included in the general admission. The tour guide was friendly and knowledgeable. I would have liked the tour to include a little more of the outside area - extra tours are available at additional cost. I would definitely take in "The Great Race," a movie in the round that may be viewed in the Great Hall. It is a wonderful feature that summarizes the history of the Kentucky Derby. I found the interactive games (horse betting, horse racing (where you and two others can pretend to be the jockeys), and Kentucky Derby trivia) to be fun for both the young and the old. $14 per person is a little pricey, but I was glad that we spent the money to see some of the grounds and the museum.

3  Thank WindyCityTravelBug
There are newer reviews for Kentucky Derby Museum

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I was surprised by this museum. We didn't really know much about the sport of horse racing until we went there. It was great. We loved it, very interactive in the museum. Nice displays and a really neat tour of Churchill Downs. I learned a lot.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I love my time at the museum, the panoramic cinema part is stunning and you can see all history of horses and how derby become this big traditional event. I have learned lots of things there, about fancy hat and red roses. I think this is a MUST-SEE place in Louisville.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great way to spend a couple of hours if you like Derby history. Also took the walking tour of paddock and down to finish line of the track. Just a fun way to fill in an afternoon. Gift shop was affordable - had some great Secretariat memorabilia.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Hard to explain how moving and interesting the movie was. Nice exhibits. Definitely gives you a feel for the Derby and its history.

Been to Kentucky Derby Museum? Share your experiences!