“Totally worth checking out”

Kentucky Derby Museum
Derby City's Distillery and Museum Combo Pass
Ranked #4 of 176 things to do in Louisville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Kentucky Derby Museum, where every day is Derby day! Kentucky Derby Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Louisville, Kentucky has a commitment to engage, educate, and excite everyone about the extraordinary experience that is the Kentucky Derby. When you visit the Museum, you will find yourself immersed in the next best thing to actually being at the Derby! Our exhibits will take you through the journey from the birth of the foal to the winner's circle. Find yourself in the middle of Kentucky Derby week activities and Derby traditions. Or you can take in the view of the track on Derby Day from the middle of the Infield. We are the exclusive tour provider for Churchill Downs Racetrack offering tours 7 days a week. General admission includes two levels of family-friendly interactive permanent & temporary exhibits, "The Greatest Race," a 360-degree immersive sound and visual experience that'll get your heart racing and emotions soaring, Historic Walking Tour of Churchill Downs Racetrack, a chance to meet our resident Thoroughbred and miniature horse, access to the Finish Line Gift Shop, Kentucky fare in the Derby Cafè and much more!
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children
Indianapolis, Indiana
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Totally worth checking out”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have never been to the Derby nor have I been to Churchill downs until this trip. I learned so much about the derby and horses and the venue. It was very interesting. We did an outdoor walking tour and then an indoor museum tour that was also about 30 minutes. We ended up being there for 2.5 hours and could have stayed longer and learned a bit more. Facility is great. Staff is knowledgeable and friendly. They are passionate about horses and racing. Was a fund time.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Amy W

• Hungarian first
Roselle, Illinois
77 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“And They're Off!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Enjoyed the museum, as well as the "behind the scenes" tours I took, one for history, the other to tour the stables. Now I'll appreciate watching the Derby from home next time, knowing what I now know!

Visited July 2012
Columbus, Ohio
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

The tour guide was AMAZING! We really enjoyed visiting the museum so much, and it really made me want to experience the Derby... maybe one day! :-)

Visited January 2013
Washington, DC
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Exceeded My Expectations”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

When I heard that there was a Kentucky Derby museum, I figured there would be a lot of old photos from a bygone era, but I was pleasantly surprised to find a very modern museum with a lot of high-tech and hands-on exhibits. The video display in the theater in the round was very professional and it gave you a very quick overview of the origins of the Kentucky Derby. There were a number of other exhibits that were hands on, including one were you could take your hand at betting on the horses (without losing or winning any money). The 1/2-hour tour outside was just the right length of time for our visit on a cold January day, but we got to see all of the sites that we normally see on TV during the Derby. We also enjoyed hearing all of the stories about how people sneak booze into the infield on Derby Day - I won't give them away - you will just have to hear the stories for yourself.

Visited January 2013
Columbus, Ohio
“horsy”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

it was a good and clean place unlike alot of other places i went while i was there.
But its onyl most interesting for those with passion of horses

Visited December 2012

Been to Kentucky Derby Museum? Share your experiences!