“Definitely worth the drive!”
Review of Maker's Mark

and up
Full-Day Bourbon Trail Distillery Tour to Makers Mark, Four Roses and Alltech
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Loretto
More attraction details
Owner description: Watch a sour mash ferment in giant cypresswood vats on its way to becoming that heavenly Kentucky bourbon at this distillery.
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Definitely worth the drive!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stopped by Maker's Mark distillery while on a recent trip to Lexington. Although it was quite a drive to get there - it was a beautiful ride, albeit we were out in the middle of nowhere with spotty cell service. I would recommend reviewing your directions before leaving - our GPS was spotty as well.

The tour was only $7 per adult. The main house where we purchased tickets was great fun to look through - be sure to catch the 'talking' picture frames in the office and taste the Maker's coffee in the kitchen. There is also an interactive old phone in the library - very cool!

Our tour guide was great - very laid back in his delivery (much appreciated for those of us casual bourbon drinkers). He answered every question that was posed to him thoroughly.

The tour itself was lots of fun. The scenery outside is breathtaking. The bourbon-making process on the inside was very cool. We even got to taste the mash! Although there is walking, the tour is very limited in the area that it covers, and I would imagine would not be a hardship for anyone not in a wheelchair (the may have W/C accommodations that I'm not aware of though).

At the end, we had a guided tasting - something that someone like me REALLY appreciated. I will never drink bourbon the same way again! The tour ends as you walk into the gift shop - which has a wide variety of T-shirts, glasses, housewares, etc. The coolest part of the gift shop, though, is the ability to dip your own bottle of Maker's in wax to seal the top. Although the process was great fun, and I think it's a great idea to share with tourists, the process was a bit confusing - we didn't know where/when to purchase our bottle. Where to stand in line. Who can take pictures and how far back they had to stand. However, the staff was very nice and it was lots of fun.

I definitely would recommend this tour to anyone (bourbon drinker or not) who is in the area. Of the 3 distillery tours I've been on (Woodford and Maker's Mark in KY and Jack Daniels in TN) - Maker's was definitely my favorite!

• Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
“Worth your time to visit”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is one of the best tours I've been on. The dedication of the employees and the Samuel's family for their product is contagious. I especially appreciate their long-standing tradition to their recipe and how they make the bourbon. I used to have a beer when I went out with my friends/family. Now , I prefer a Maker’s Mark.

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The Distillery to See”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Let me start by saying this is a walking tour of a working distillery. No "bourbon experience"--this tour is the real thing. Loretto is a bit off the beaten track--maybe 45 minutes from Bardstown, but the route is well marked and it's a wonderful drive through the Kentucky country side. The distillery has been carefully restored, and the grounds are just spectacular. As other reviewers have said, they take you all the way through the process, from the grinding of the corn and other grains, to the cooking of the mash, fermenting, distilling, aging, and bottling. You get to experience it close up, all the sights and wonderful smells, and tastes--as one other reviewer said, including dipping your finger in the fermenting mash for a taste.

Our tour guide was fantastic. Full of information, answering all the question, and volunteering interesting facts about not just Makers Mark, but the Bourbon industry in Kentucky. The tasting at the end included tastes of not just the Makers Mark Bourbon and Maker's Mark 46, but the white dog (brought down to 90 proof) as it comes off the still. Our guide walked us through how to taste, and helped us really understand their whiskey.

In the gift shop after the tour, you can also buy the white dog--it's not sold commercially anywhere else, as well as their bourbon. And, as an extra treat--if you buy a bottle, you can hand dip it yourself in the wax.

Definitely a "must stop" on the bourbon trail.

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“First time to a distillery”
Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Yes, first trip in my life to a true distillery and it was very educational. Our tour guide ,Catherine was superior and enjoyable. We enjoyed the tour and the process of making whiskey. All Maker Mark employees were friendly and helpful. We had a great time!!!!

Danbury, Connecticut
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great tour”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I loved the tour of the distillery and the tasting and the grounds are beautiful. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly. It's amazing that Maker's Mark can create so much product from that small operation and I was never aware that so much was done by hand. The whole tour is informative but to me the most interesting part of the tour was the bottling process. Watching the bottles being filled and then hand dipped in to the red wax and finally put into the cases by hand was impressive. Of course the tasting was a great way to end the tour. By the way if you get a chance, stop at the Toll Gate Cafe at the entrance to Maker's Mark for a great pulled pork sandwich.

Visited September 2013

Been to Maker's Mark? Share your experiences!