“Great pastries but Service is erratic”
Review of magee's bakery

magee's bakery
Ranked #3 of 11 Bakeries in Lexington
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This bakery is a long time treasure of Chevy Chase and has wonderful breakfast and lunch offerings. The bakery products are superb! But the service is so erratic in the mornings, oftentimes very long waits in line (20+min) and the storefront seating area needs some cleaning of the floor, tables, dusting, etc. It sort of looks run-down and maybe some simple interior organization and 'facelift' would be very noticeable improvement. Great delicious pastries and sandwiches but wouldn't hang out and eat there. It could be so charming and inviting with its wonderful architectual historic building.

There are newer reviews for magee's bakery

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Watch out for horse! Easy to bump into. We shared a good omelet. Coffe choices good. I like the fill it yourself

Reviewed July 20, 2013

This was my wife and I's first visit to Magee's Bakery. It's located in an old warehouse near the edge of town. We split the triple threat crescent that had bacon, asiago cheese, egg, and choice of country ham or sausage ($6.63). My wife had a double mocha which was a little pricey ($5.53) and I had a water. We both agreed that the crescent was one of the best we have ever had and the breakfast sandwich was more than enough for both of us. There was ample egg and country ham on our crescent and the ham was not too salty. We ordered 2 plain to take home with us. We also tried a couple of their pastries and donuts which were fresh and very good. The place has a nice vibe and is very open. We cannot vouch for all the food, but we will be back to update you on some of their lunch sandwiches and other breakfast items.

Some tips and complaints...
Get your coffee when you first come in and then order.
Some of the pastries were a little too sweet for my wife.
The egg on our sandwich could have been heated more.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

FORGET THIS PLACE...unless you want to support a local bakery that has been here forever, offers wonderful bakery items, and holds a special place in the heart's of many UK graduates and locals.

Did I mention their "Mallow Bar"?

Every time we visit Lexington on a leisurely schedule, the car always knows to take us to Magee's just to touch base. And get a "Mallow Bar." From a nostalgic point of view, I liked the place better when it was a simple bakery. In fact, we never eat there. We just get a "Mallow Bar" and drive off. (For years we called them "Tin Roof" and thought everyone else did, but the newer employees claim they have never heard them called that).

By the way, a "Mallow Bar" is a chocolate teacake, topped with buttercream, and smothered with homemade chocolate fudge icing. Small in size and a tad expensive, but has an unparalleled taste, richness, and quality. If this weren't a family site, I would use the word "orgasmic."

1  Thank ForgetThisPlace
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Bland uninspired Sysco muck served by sweaty angry looking people. Coffee was OK. Omelet was greasy and rubbery. Pancakes were not good. Didn't have any other pastries but they didn't look too special either.

I won't follow the recommendations of sites like this anymore because I have been disappointed every time.