“Nice Place Overall”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Hotel was very nice, small rooms but great place to lay your head and sleep. The Bar needs a little help in the music area. We were in Lexington for a wedding and we decided to continue the celebration at the bar on a saturday night. Well the music wasnt there at all... Otherwise we had a nice stay loved the grounds and the Hotel overall.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank azinuit

Reviewed July 17, 2006

Stayed here for a week during a church-related meeting. Very nice facilities and amenities. Rooms were nice, though small for the price and slightly dated. The beds were gorgeous, though not terribly comfortable for sleeping to me. They were almost too fancy, with duvets for bed spreads that never seemed to stay in place during the night. Ever complain about too few pillows? Not here -- no fewer than FIVE for each bed in our double room, including a cylindrical one for putting under your knees. It was almost overkill.

The staff was outstandingly superb and very friendly, as would be expected from Kentuckians :-) Food at the restaurants was good, though they still don't know how to make a proper Kentucky Hot Brown sandwich (no *cheddar* cheese and no ham, please!). The grounds were gorgeous, smack in the middle of horse country. The on-site golf course is terrific, though I didn't get to play -- it used to host a stop on the PGA Champions Tour (the Senior Tour).

Internet access is a $9.95 daily charge and hard-wired only. Why resorts like this charge so much for Internet access when Hampton or even Super 8 gives it away is beyond me -- I guess they figure their usual business clientele won't care, so they can get away with it. There are inside and outside pools, a basketball and sand volleyball court (our group wore both out!), and a tennis court -- the latter needs a little fixing up.

Overall a great place, but with a little attention to detail it could be even better.

Stayed: July 2006
5  Thank realkyhick
Reviewed June 19, 2006

My sister and I (with two older children) used my Marriott points for a one-night stay on our way to St Louis June 8th. The hotel is easy to find off I75. We found the room clean and pleasant, with the exception of a dirty mini fridge. Our pool view was not peaceful as some construction was still going on; still it was a pleasant look out the room. Marriott dinged me 5,000 more points for this view; I'll never fall for that again.

The Tempurpedic (sp?) mattresses were extremely nice; I had never tried this type of mattress before and was very impressed. I'm betting this company has created new buyers of their product from Marriott guests at Griffin Gate! Linen quality was very nice also.

On a lighter note, Brian, the waiter at the pool, was a major babe, my sister and I both agreed.

Overall it was a nice place to stay; however, the Embassy Suites (I think that was the name) across the Newtown Pike looked much more impressive on the outside. There are major retail and restaurant options within a 5 minute drive.

Stayed: June 2006
6  Thank debbielynne
Reviewed May 7, 2006

The cons: I arrived at the hotel rather late after traveling all day from the West Coast and was starving. Unfortuately, room service was closed as well as the bar -- for food, but they were open for drinks until 1:00 a.m. Oddly, there was no mini-bar in the hotel room, either. I wished I had asked the shuttle van driver for suggestions, but not having been to Lexington before, I didn't know everything was going to be closed when I arrived. My roommate and I decided to look for vending machines and much to our chagrin, there were no snacks or bottled water available - only sodas. We ended up having to go to the bar for some bottled water -- at over $5.00 apiece!

The pros: The front desk service was very friendly and cordial. They offered to print my boarding pass and were overall accommodating. I also liked that hotel had a coffee kiosk so you didn't have to go to the restaurant and place an order just to get a cup of coffee. The rooms were relatively clean and there were individual coffee makers in the rooms, but with no bottled water, there was really no point. The shuttle service back to the airport was excellent -- even at 6:00 a.m. They were ready early and got me to the airport on time.

I would return to the Marriott Griffin Gate Resort but next time bring LOTS of bottled water!

4  Thank QueenLaDiva
Reviewed May 5, 2006

If you are looking for a place to hold an event....don't have it here.
Complete incompetence and lack of communication by tha staff practically ruined our event.

From the smallest things like our guests receiving gift bags from another wedding being held there to the largest things like they upgraded our room for a night and didn't tell us! Around every corner we were met with an issue of some kind which made for a very unpleasant overall experience. We spent a fair amount of money here with about 20 guest rooms and a large family dinner. With all of the stresses of hosting an event the last thing one needs is for the venue to be so incompetent. To top it off they tried to charge us a fee to take a few pictures on the lawn at the hotel....shame on them for being tacky as well!

2  Thank ostraveller70
Reviewed May 1, 2006

I stayed at the Marriott Griffin Gate while attending the Rolex 3 day event at Hooseir Horse Park in April of 2006. I had originally booked a nearby Holiday Inn at $94, which ballooned to $179 as inventory dwindled. After reading tripadvisor reviews of that Holiday Inn, I booked the Marriott, at a AAA rate of $151. I thought this to be VERY reasonable, considering the 90,000 people that packed Lexington for the event (though many camp). I am shocked at the Priceline rates that were quoted on here, and frankly hope Priceline does not continue to dilute travel products. Once you have guests paying $46...the quality of the product cannot stay the same, and we'll also be conditioned to pay those prices and not accept higher rates where the property can actually make money. Can you tell I've been in the business for over 25 years?

I like Marriott Resorts, and Springhill Suites, and Fairfields...all for different levels of quality/price/value. I have never been as fond of Courtyards, don't have a lot of personal experience with REsidence Inns, and have had client complaints of JW properties.

I didn't expect much from this Marriott - it's not in a resort area or upscale business area. But it has a golf course, so I assume it's about as "resort" as the area gets. There are several other hotels nearby, notably an Embassy Suites - but I'm not terribly fond of them.

Our stay: I stayed with two teenage girls. There were a lot of convention activities when we arrived, and I couldn't find a parking space, so I opted for valet ($9 day). It took a long time to give my car to anyone, and a very long time the next day to retrieve it. I decided not to use it again the next night. Check in was lightening fast. Lobby was nice. Someone mentioned the chlorine smell and it IS strong, but I liked it. The outdoor pool was being renovated but the girls swam in the indoor pool each evening. It was very clean and there were lots of chairs and towels. A nice spa as well. The workout room was well equipped, and I saw people cleaning the machines and the pool area numerous times. There is a sauna inside a gorgeous restroom in this area, with shower, lockers, etc. It serves the workout room and pool. There is a discreet entrance to these areas so you don't have to parade around the lobby in your "cover-up", trainers, sweats, etc. The stone wall in the elevator area was beautiful. There was a nice large gift shop with local souvenirs (Keeneland, Maker's Mark, etc.) and those forgotten items. There was also a hat shop in case you were there for the derby and forgot your hat! Lots of convention facilities, but we were visiting as leisure travelers. The room was beautiful and spotless. I HATE to sleep in hotels and I HATE hotel beds. Theirs was wonderful! a soft padded cover over the mattress felt like a cloud. Tons of pillows. Nice pillows! The bathroom had Bath & Body works products - my daughter was delighted. The best part of the stay was the food. I was amazed to read reviews like "overpriced" breakfast and bad food/service. We ate at JW steakhouse twice and had the breakfast buffet both mornings. The buffet was only $16. Now, if you stay in hotels you KNOW that a $16 buffet at a Marriott is a BARGAIN. And it was such a value! Yes, there was also a little Starbucks stand. But if you'll pay $4 for a coffee...for $16 you get a huge table of fresh fruits and lovely berries: PERFECT raspberries and blackberries, blueberries, bananas, apples, oranges, croissants, danish, toast, oatmeal, cereal etc etc. Another table held steamer after steamer of dishes like eggs benedict (eggs benedict, on a $16 buffet!?), biscuits & gravy and much much more. Still another area had an eggs-to-order chef, plus waffles, cheesy/peppery hash browns that were delicious, the requisite scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, etc etc. Room service breakfast prices were very reasonable too. Having just returned from England where a croissant and coffee in my room was 20.00 pounds ($40)...a $10 room service breakfast is a delight! Maybe they do it to compete with Embassy Suites who includesa full hot breakfast with their room rate. JW Steakhouse...what can I say? The service our first night was not great. We weren't given the off-menu specials and didn't get bread, that type thing. But it was much better the next night (we went back because it was SO tasty!). Three of us shared a crab cake. It was good, not great, but much better than the overbreaded, overfried "where's-the-crab" crab cake I'm used to in a hotel. The kids split a shrimp and scallop scampi with angel hair pasta dish both nights. They devoured it. I had a salad that was nothing to write home about. But then I got a Sea Bass that was only $23 and it was HUGE and "to die for" - not over or undercooked. When was the last time that happened in a steakhouse? In a hotel! My grocer doesn't even sell sea bass anymore because of the price. The next night, when I had a chance to hear the specials my mouth watered when they mentioned a Kobe rib-eye. Ok, fine, it was $56. But it was so huge that all three of us had some and we couldn't finish it! It was OH MY GOODNESS so good. Then...butter cake with whiskey sauce. Don't try it unless you are a glutton for punishment. It's as rich as it gets. But, with three of us to share, and having walked miles and miles all day - we indulged BOTH nights.

So, as you can see, I was OVERLY impressed with the food. The carpets in the hall look newly laid. The room carpet/drapes/linens did as well. Perhaps previous posters stayed before the hotel might have been updated. All I know is that I'll be at Hoosier Horse Park for many things over the next many years, and I'm going back to the Marriott as often as I can.

6  Thank wanderer1
Reviewed April 6, 2006

We won this hotel with priceline, bidding the same day of our stay for 46.00 + fees (aprox $60, the going rate was 189.00). I was extremely happy with our stay. I have not stayed at a Marriott for some time and was happy with some things I discovered. There was a wireless keyboard with web TV in the room (10.99 for 24 hrs), free connection if you have your own computer. There was a coffee maker with all the necessities available in the room. I really appreciated the electrical outlets on the desk lamp. What a great idea, no more searching for a outlet that may be behind the heaviest piece of furniture. Bath and Body works products were supplied in the bath. The room was recently updated, with nice flooring and wallpaper. But by far the best feature in the room was the bed. It was FANTASTIC! Linens were high quality, pristine white, soft with not a wrinkle in them. Both beds were covered with down comforters and pillows. The room and bath were very clean. The bathroom was small. The shower spray was great.

We did not use the pool, spa or restaurants. The interior halls and exterior of the hotel is somewhat outdated, but acceptable. The hotel is also currenly constructing a new outdoor pool area (the plans are on display in the lobby).

My only concern was with two issues involving safety if you are traveling with small children. First, there is a huge waterfall in the lobby area. I has a stone wall around it to prevent falling in. However, the wall is about only 3 1/2 feet tall. Kids could easily be tempted to climb on it and in one area, if they fell in it is aprox a 15 foot fall into water. A little parental supervision can prevent this. Second, I was extremely suprised that the window on our 5th floor opened out all the way with no screen. It did have 4 latches on it, but could be opened pretty easily, and you have to lean out to push it open. Could be dangerous for kids. Again, parents should not leave them unattended.

The location of the hotel is very close to the interstate, and easy to locate. Based on this stay, I would stay here again.

5  Thank Sharon F