“Bad Experience, Good Potential”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed July 4, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights here in early July. Though the visit ended up OK, there were some problems and frustrations.

Although we arrived well after check-in time, it took nearly two hours for the hotel to get us in our room. When we arrived, we requested a room with a balcony; when we arrived at the room, it had no balcony and bird excrement was smeared on the outside of the window. We called the front desk to explain the mistake, and they indicated they would try to find us a new room and would call us back in ten minutes. 25 minutes later, we still had not heard from the front desk. I called them again and they indicated that they were working on a room and would send a bellboy to us in less than 10 minutes to give us new room keys and help us with our luggage. After about 25 more minutes, we still had not heard from the bell boy.

Finally, they let us in a new room. This room did have a balcony -- one that looked out over a parking lot and was covered in dirt. We went down to the desk to complain and one of the associates was helpful, apologetic, and accomodating. About two hours after arriving, we finally were given an acceptable room.

Needless to say, this experience created much tension and frustration, so it is probably difficult for me to give the Griffin Gate a fair and reasonable review. The grounds were fairly nice, and both the outdoor and indoor pool areas were reasonably nice. My sense was that the details one typically associates with Marriotts were lacking here -- I saw evidence of ceiling tiles out of place in the indoor pool area and paint that was peeling or chipped away in a few places.

I might stay here again and give it another chance, as the hotel has some potential. Still, there are some flaws here that the Griffin Gate can fix to improve itself and I remain skeptical. On balance, I tend to view the Griffin Gate Marriott closer to ordinary than extraordinary.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 13, 2009

When recently staying at this hotel for a business meeting, my co-workers and I were aghast to find that not only was there no wireless internet , it would cost $12.95 a day to connect to their internet service using the one cable provided in the room. And we won't even get into the sheets with black spots on them, or the dead bug that was revealed when a throw pillow on the bed was moved. What a disapppointment! About the only nice thing I can say is that we liked the soap they had in the bathroom.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 27, 2009

Stayed at this hotel for an overnight to go to the Keeneland races with my wife. The hotel is well located off the main highway, and about 5 minutes to the Keeneland horse track. The hotel grounds seemed very well maintained, but the entrance into the hotel ,starting from valet, seemed cold , more like a convention style hotel. It lacked to me the"southern charm" that I thought would be more present at this establishment. check in was fine, easy, and the staff was more than helpful. Service throughout our stay was excellent. Our room was on the 4th floor, and our window overlooked at out level with the airconditioners and about 10 pigeons and nests. Not a big deal, we just never opened the curtains fron that point forward. Hotel room was that of a typical Marriott, 2 double beds( all that was available at check in). The room was clean, nothing special. The shampoo and such were of the upper end products. I forget the name. Looked at the hotel service book, and wife got a massage.I called to book a dinner at the White Mansion they advertise in the hotel service guide. Seemed very nice, southern style and upper class, however, I was informed they no longer have dinner or tend bar there as only for weddings. Big disappointment. Decided to enjoy an evening at the hotel bar , and not travel to downtown Lexington. Staff at bar were so good, and Megan was on top of her game. Met others there and ended up having a blast. Wife went into the designer hat store and looked at hats, but decided none were what she liked. Wife stated the spa experience was nice. All in all service was wonderful, but the coldness of the business style hotel was disappointing. would stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brent a
Reviewed April 22, 2009

I reserved two months ahead of my stay requesting a room with two double beds for myself, husband and two teenagers. When I called two weeks ahead to inquire about something else concerning my reservation, they told me they could not give me two beds anymore. They had given those rooms to a soccer league.
That would leave us three to a bed. Hmmm. We went to another hotel.
I would have definately expected more of a Marriott, especially one as expensive as this one.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank AgniWay
Reviewed April 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed one night at this hotel. The room was minimally cleaned with stains and dirt evident in the bathroom. The bed was brick hard although the linens were clean. The food in the restaurant was good but the overall experience was disappointing. I would not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2009

I was there one night for business and all of the people were very friendly. We had dinner at the hotel and the food was magnificant. It will probably need to be updated in the near future. It was very convenient, as it was right off of the highway as you get near Lexington from Louisville.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We have stayed a this property many times because the rooms are nice, they accept pets, and the location is convenient for the Keeneland and Fasig-Tipton Sales. The grounds are also attractive. By no stretch is this a four star facility, however. Housekeeping is inconsistent and feels no reservation about taking things from rooms that are not their property. Management is indifferent and has a 'take it or leave it' mentality. Food is mediocre and overpriced, except breakfast which offers many options. On different stays we have had trouble with items in room like clocks, coffee maker, TV and lights. This indicates to us that nobody checks for obvious problems. Still one of nicest hotels in Lexington, which is unfortunate. We are hopeful that new Westin at KY Horse Park is going to actually happen someday.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business