“Four Star...Are you kidding?”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed March 14, 2009

We have stayed a this property many times because the rooms are nice, they accept pets, and the location is convenient for the Keeneland and Fasig-Tipton Sales. The grounds are also attractive. By no stretch is this a four star facility, however. Housekeeping is inconsistent and feels no reservation about taking things from rooms that are not their property. Management is indifferent and has a 'take it or leave it' mentality. Food is mediocre and overpriced, except breakfast which offers many options. On different stays we have had trouble with items in room like clocks, coffee maker, TV and lights. This indicates to us that nobody checks for obvious problems. Still one of nicest hotels in Lexington, which is unfortunate. We are hopeful that new Westin at KY Horse Park is going to actually happen someday.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Equiluck

Reviewed February 15, 2009

I had my wedding this hotel and although I was very happy with the setting, I had numerous problems. I will list the major issues I had and hopefully it will save a future bride some grief:

1. We were mislead about the costs. If you don't ask specifically if something will cost extra, you will not know about it until you are reviewing the contract. MAKE SURE TO READ THE CONTRACT CAREFULLY!

2. If you are planning your wedding from out of town (as I was) don't expect to taste the food. The Marriott only does 4 tastings per year and they are on a weekday night. The food ended up being average.

3. Don't expect anyone to return your emails or calls. Demand to speak to someone when you call if you want an issue resolved.

4. Don't expect the wedding coordinator to be present on your wedding day. I saw mine twice. Once to unlock the mansion (later than expected) and once to ask for my credit card number. This is despite numerous problems that occurred during the wedding/reception.

5. One problem was that the rose garlands I paid $500 for were not brought to the ceremony by the wedding coordinator. My husband is Indian and these were very important for the Hindu ceremony. Eventually I got the Marriott to deduct this amount from my bill.

6. My wedding coordinator told me I could pay for the wedding after the honeymoon so I could review the contract. This was a good thing because there were about 5 charges that had to be removed (tables, sound equipment, etc...) for items we never used. However, she continually contacted me by email during my honeymoon to settle the bill. I refused to give her authorization to charge my credit card until all the issues with the bill were resolved, so she took it upon herself to charge my father-in-law for the ENTIRE wedding, without his permission. She blamed it on the accounting dept., but I'm pretty sure it was her fault. It took 4 months to get the billing issues resolved! What a nightmare!

After all these problems, the manager of sales at the Marriott sent us a card in the mail apologizing for the problems. Enclosed was a $50 gift certificate for the Marriott. After this experience I never plan to redeem that gift.

Beware of holding your event at the Marriott Griffin Gate!!!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank EAV333
Reviewed February 15, 2009

We stayed at this hotel on Valentine's day. I can' t not say enough good things about this hotel. The staff was one of the most helpful and friendliest staff of any hotels that we have stayed at before. The hotel was beautiful. The indoor pool was clean, and had big towels available. The hot tub was very large and just the right temperature. We had a room on the 7th floor the furniture was impressive, plenty of drawers. The beds and pillows were very comfy. The TV had many channels to choose from. The bathroom was large with a dual sink and a very deep tub with a rain shower head. The toiletries were nice, they provided the normal soap and shampoo but also a sewing kit, q tips, cotton balls and make up removers. Again I want to mention the staff. Everyone was extremely helpful and very friendly. We will stay here again

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 25, 2008

This is a large hotel with many amenities including a restaurant, bar, exercise & spa, pool and gift shop. The bar area was a decent place to unwind at the end of a long day. The exercise room was very good for a hotel and had a good variety of equipment. There is a large breakfast buffet at a typical hotel price of $17 including tax & tip.

The room appeared to be recently upgraded and was of average size. No complaints but nothing really stood out either. Service was good at times but I did have a couple of situations that could have been handled better.

There are also better locations in Lexington. There isn't much in the immediate vicinity as far as restaurants or shops and it is a ten minute drive to downtown. It is immediately off I-75 however.

This full scale hotel was fine but there are definitely better values in the city.

Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank rjc260
Reviewed December 11, 2008

Decent location, great grounds, nice facility. Check was fast, friendly, and accurate. The hotel restaurant and room service were great and the mansion restaurant was excellent.

It is convenient to Kentucky Horsepark, the Lexington countryside, downtown Lexington, and the airport.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2008

we were in Lexington Ky for the Georgia vs Kentucky football game. We really enjoyed our stay. What a nice hotel Staff very friendly. Room was very clean. LOVED the bed!!! So comfortable.
Will stay here next time we come to Lexington.

Reviewed November 3, 2008

Stayed at the hotel after attending Keeneland racing. Very easy to get to from the track. Beautiful, landscaped facility.

Check in was very easy and quick. Room was basic but just fine although we did miss not having a coffeemaker in the room.

Hotel is quite attractive and has a great pool area for summer use, although we were not able to use it in October.

Ate at JW's steak house. It was very good, although alittle pricey for what you receive. It was enjoyable just the same.

Considering it is a large facility, not much options for lite fare, just JW's or Starbuck's for food. The golf facility was not open when we were there.

We did pop in at the concierge breakfast area, however at 9 AM they were already closing up. Food was almost gone, service was quite rude actually with coffee running out and the workers looking pretty disgruntled overall. We should have just headed out to a nice breakfast stop in the area.

Overall, the hotel is very attractive and service is good. Nice location near Keeneland race track and Kentucky Horse Park.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple