“Southern hospitality at its finest!”

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I attended a meeting held at Griffin Gate this week. At the conclusion of the meeting, I inadvertently left my reading glasses, which I didn't discover until the next day. I called right away and the lady who answered the phone said, "Why, yes, I have them right here!" I was amazed that I didn't have to go through a whole string of people to find them. Not only that, she said she would send them FedEx (at no charge) for delivery the next day. I even got a call from the fellow who mailed them giving me a tracking number in the event the didn't come as promised.

Even while there, all the staff was extremely polite and helpful. Had lunch in the cafe, which was excellent. Even though I didn't actually stay in a room, I will be making arrangements for a little get-away with my wife very soon. I am very appreciative of their kindness and professionalism. Great job, Griffin Gate!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed April 28, 2014

First the positives:
You can't beat the location of this hotel for events at the Kentucky Horse Park. The hotel is attractive and has well maintained exterior and public spaces. The rooms were small but clean and quiet and had very good lighting. The rooms have two queen size beds and flat screen TVs. The memory foam beds felt hard at first but were actually quite comfortable to sleep on once they conformed to your body. The bathroom was very small but clean and well lit.

Room for improvement:

(1) A hotel of this caliber should provide free wireless internet and not be charging guests a fee. Most of the 2 and 3 star hotels in the area provide free wireless internet. It seems tacky to nickle and dime the customer who is already paying top dollar for a hotel room. A premium rate should come with premium services and amenities.

(2) Towel were thin and worn through in places. I had read in a previous Trip Adviser review that the bath towels were thin but I didn't expect to see my bath towel so worn out that I could see through it. The last day of my stay I used a towel that had a large 7" wide spot that was so worn down that I could read through the towel. This did not meet my expectations of a four star hotel. Guests expect that a four star hotel will provide better quality towels (and other amenities) than at 2 star or 3 star hotel. This Marriott falls short in this category.

(3) IMO, it's a bit tacky to leave two bottles of water in the room with $3.50 price tag on each. I think it would be better not to leave any water in the room rather than finding bottles with price tags on them. Better yet, why not exceed your guests' expectations and offer them two complimentary bottles of water in the room! If you were hosting a guest in your own home you might not think to leave a bottle of water in the guest room for them but you certainly wouldn't leave water with a tag on it letting them know they would be charged for drinking it!

The Griffin Gate Marriott is missing opportunities to impress their guests. A guest that pays more for a hotel stay should leave feeling like the room was worth every penny they spent. Don't give guests a reason to question the value of their purchase. The hotel has so much going for it - location, facilities, service. Pay attention to the details and you'll have guests raving about your hotel instead of questioning whether it was worth the extra price they payed.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank akehcmbf
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed here during all of the hustle and bustle of last day at Keeneland AND the Rolex 3 day event at Kentucky Horse Park.

Service was excellent at check in even though they were very busy. We are Marriott Gold members so were greeted extra special. Front desk made us feel very welcome and special. Loved our room with an open deck, chairs and table for sitting outside.

I have to say.....Liz from the Concierge Breakfast lounge was the best ever! We were told the first evening that breakfast was from 6:30 - 10 am. We showed up the next day around 9:10 am after not rushing from our room.....relaxing....and found out breakfast had ended at 9 am. Liz felt so bad she had us get free breakfast in the dining room that day. Then the next day, when we did make the lounge early to eat the breakfast, she visited and talked with everyone there like family. We will always remember Liz and here great service!! She is a gem!

Nice Pool here and like that it is indoor and outdoor. They have done nice renovations in the lobby. Lobby bar and restaurant was very busy so hard to be judgmental but service was not very good either time we were there.

We have been here before and will definitely be back when we are in the area. Great location too for horse country. And, a very easy on and off from both I-75 and I-64 which is a real plus when traffic is busy from all the events happening.

Well done, Griffin Gate!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

The hotel updates are very pleasing! The staff and premises are inviting and make you feel comfortable right away. I had my granddaughters with me and the staff took time to recognize them which I appreciated, made them feel "special". Great place to stay!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

I've been going to the Kentucky Horse Park for decades as a competitor and spectator. Whenever I arrive it feels like I'm coming home. The staff are efficient, pleasant, and of the highest quality. Rooms are immaculate and the grounds are exquisite. Go. You'll love it, and so will your dog.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Stayed here since it was the HQ hotel of the Run The Bluegrass half marathon a few weeks ago. Parking is plentiful, but don't be surprised if you have to walk a good bit to get to your car. Check-in was fairly routine. Standard rooms are just that . . . very standard. A bit on the smaller sized, and you had to make sure you were COMPLETELY in the bathroom in order to close the door. Not sure what mattresses they have switched to, but they seemed rock hard when we first sat on the bed. Sleep was OK, but I've been more comfortable at other locations. If we had been paying the standard rate for the room (vs. the discounted rate since this was part of an event), I would've felt ripped off. I know this resort has gotten some rave reviews and maybe if I utilized all of their services I would've felt differently, but it just seemed very average at best.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Thank you KYMark for your review - and we hope you had a terrific experience running in the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon! Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and for your thoughtful comments. We are in the process of upgrading all of our resort's mattresses to a new TemperPedic Cloud Supreme model. We current have these in over half of our rooms and will have 100% of our rooms fitted with these mattrresses very soon. The feedback has been outstanding as these are noticeably softer than the mattress you most likely had in your room. During our recent room renovation, we replaced all rooms with two double beds with larger queen beds. We believe we are the only full service hotel in the area that has 2 queen beds (vs. 2 double beds). The minor consequence of installing these wider mattresses is that is has taken a small amount of space from the rooms' seating area. And as you reported, our standard rooms do have smaller bathrooms. We hope that you will considering staying with us again and enjoying some of our resort's other features. We have just opened our outdoor pool and whirlpool - one of our more unique warm weather features. Thank you again for your review, and we hope to have you back again for next year's race!

Dan Sirrine
Director of Operations
Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
dan.sirrine@marriott.com

Reviewed April 19, 2014

White fenced property with ample green grass and stately grounds sets the mood for comfortable stay. The reception was efficient. The Concierge lounge was as good or better than most with excellent service and food and sufficient drinks. (In response to critics, the lounge is not supposed to be a restaurant, but only provides snacks). The rooms were comfortable and quiet. The fitness facility was top notch. I would definitely stay here next time I visit Lexington.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple