“Best nights sleep”

Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Indiana, United States
“Best nights sleep”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This was by far one of the nicest, friendliest hotels I've ever had the pleasure of spending the night at. The grounds are beautiful and if you play golf, that's a bonus. The room was exceptionally clean, very nice décor and all the staff were helpful and polite. Was actually worried the rate I was quoted was a huge mistake. The bed was lush and exactly what we needed after a day on the road.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 3, 2013

arrived late in the evening on Saturday of Labor Day - about 10:30pm as a wedding was departing and still rec'd great service from the valet & bellman (they were very busy). Was offered a bottled water upon arrival, front desk was outstanding with referring things to do (HINT: research the area as there is not a concierge & the desk was busy so took us a few times to get answers).

room was nice - large enough for 2 ppl in a King, enough room to put down a pallet if you need to on the floor for kids. bathroom was tiny - no more than one person. great shower though & nice pressure for my long hair.

pool - indoor & outdoor was very nice. fire pit & hot tub near each other. there was no pool side service, but there was a tiki bar and we did spend $10 per drink that was yummy & actually worth the price.

HINT: do not get a room by the elevators - 3 hallways come together & it can get very loud!

spa looked nice, but we didn't use it.

overall - i would stay here again if i was in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Suffolk County< NY
Reviewed August 28, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. We came into town for a wedding that was being held at this location. Upon our arrival we were greeted by the bellhop with a very friendly hello and welcome! We immediately felt right at home. Our room was clean and very nicely decorated. The room had a gel mattress that was heavenly to sleep on. (I am now buying one for my home) The grounds are lovely, although we did not have time to use the pool or spa it looked very nice. Everyone at the hotel was very helpful and pleasant. We are now planning a trip back for The Rolex in the spring and will definitely stay at this hotel!!!

Room Tip: From what I did see, several family and friends rooms there is not a bad location. We truly loved th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Interiors2
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We come here every year for a convention. Since last year, they have remodeled. The rooms are very nice compared to what they were in past years. The carpet is attractive in the rooms and in the halls. The elevator that I had issues with in 2011 no longer smells badly. The staff is exemplary from the front desk to housekeeping. Kudos to Hazel in housekeeping. Very friendly, personable lady. ALL of the waitstaff during the conference banquet were very attentive, friendly, and accommodating. (Thank you). The food this year was the best it has been in years. All the people at my ten top table at the banquet were pleased with the food and commented to the lady in charge of our convention that it was very good this year.

The bathroom in the room had indirect lighting around the mirror which made for less glare when putting on make-up. The shower head is adjustable to your liking. Hot water came quickly after turn on which is a big plus for me! Nice TV with many channels. Bed is very comfortable, I got a good night's sleep.

I was well pleased this year. Only two complaints keep me from giving this hotel an excellent rating. Internet is STILL $12.95. Internet has been "pay for use" all the years I have attended the convention at this hotel. This is a complaint from many posters to tripadvisor. I still don't understand why Marriott charges for internet in 2013. This is a HUGE negative for me. The other issue is no pillow cases on ALL the pillows. Some of the pillows on the bed have shams on them. My husband and I use more than one pillow to sleep. Three pillows had pillow cases, and two had only shams. I did not realize this until I woke up at night and went to take a pillow out of the shams and they had no cases on them! Needless to say I did not use them. It was too late at night to get up and change and go down and get some pillow cases. Maybe they expect you to use the pillow with the sham on it but it just seemed unsanitary to me to do so. These are the only two complaints I have. ALL pillows need cases and corporate Marriott needs to allow this hotel to give free internet access to all rooms. (It is free in some parts of the hotel). There's always next year....

This is a very nice hotel otherwise, if you don't mind the pay for use internet and rem. to ask for pillow cases if you use more pillows. Thanks to all the staff for a great weekend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BudNLily
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Generally speaking this is a good hotel, not great. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the past 20 years. We used to live in Lexington and still have family there we like to visit. Because this is a "resort" there is an expectation of a higher level of service and overall quality, but unfortunately Griffin Gate doesn't deliver. The grounds are beautiful. If you plan on golfing you will be happy. But, if you don't plan on golfing or walking around the property, its definitely not worth the price of admission. The rooms are clean but nothing special. The service is fairly good. JW's restaurant is seriously overrated and over priced. The hotel is not near any nice restaurants or shopping. To find those you need to drive about 20 minutes away and there are equally nice hotels next to them. This hotel seems to fit a certain demographic--over 65, financially secure, and go to a Marriott because its a Marriott. If that fits you, great. If not, look at other options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travel_A_L0tt0
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our resort. Our team prides itself on providing great service, great room and and a fantastic experience to all of our guests, so we were very disappointed to read about your most recent experience. Please accept my most sincere apologies.

We recently renovated all of our guest rooms and will begin work on our lobby, JW's Steakhouse restaurant and lounge at the end of this year. This renovation will introduce the new Marriott Greatroom concept to our property, which create a dramatically different experience for our guests! We hope you will return again and see these improvements.

If I can be of any further assistance to you with any future trips you have to Lexington, I hope you will not hesitate to contact me.

Warm Regards,

Dan Sirrine
Director of Operations
dan.sirrine@marriott.com
(859) 288-6128
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our 8th anniversary. The staff were all extremely friendly. We received a free room upgrade to an amazing suite. The grounds are all beautifully landscaped. We loved the outdoor pool , hot tub, and fire pit. We were able to relax and pamper ourselves in true resort fashion. I would highly recommend this resort/hotel to couples and families. We will be back for sure. The only thing I would change is the memory foam beds... Not a fan o them. We still loved every minute of our stay and are planning a return stay already.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank aliciajr81
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We called ahead to make sure the hotel was wheelchair friendly and we were told it was. We came from wi. Well that is my only complaint....the elevator by our room was down for a day so we had to go across the hotel, limited handicapp parking with zone lines made us have to park very far away to be able to get wheelchair out, and the indoor pool was only accesible through the spa elevator which wasn't available the same hours as pool and was not organized or ready for us...felt more like an obligation for us...we could not also access the fire pit or spa without stairs....and let me add we were with a parapalegic..so they are able to move and get in and out of chair...this hotel otherwise was friendly, clean, and great value.

• Stayed July 2013