“Nice updates, HARD as a ROCK bed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
KY
“Nice updates, HARD as a ROCK bed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I recently stayed at the Marrott Griffin Gate for business. I stay here annually for a conference. I needed help with my bags but one bellman was helping someone else and the other one was watching the Superbowl. The rooms overall are quite nice in a beautiful area of Kentucky set well off the road so a beautiful view of the grounds. The bathrooms are very small, but typical for an older hotel. The hotel does update the furnishing every few years and has many nice areas to sit and relax.. In fact, they are currently renovating. I got to see both an updated room and non-renovated room. I was first put in a room with 2 double beds ( I had requested king) on the 1st floor which resembled a dungeon. The light was not working when I entered the room so I could barely see until I poked around trying to find a lamp. I then went to the window to see the view. NO view except for a concrete wall with a peek of shrubbery toward the top. Tried to call the desk, but no one answered. Lugged my bags back to the desk and requested a different room which they quickly accomadated. I got the bellman who was helping the other person that time as the other guy was still watching the Superbowl.This room was newly renovated with nice furnishings and extremely nice black lamps with many outlets in the base and a fantastic reading lamp attached. Loved the lamp! The bathroom lighting is MUCH improved with lighting all around behind the mirror!!! Great TV with an excellent picture and wide range of channels. Rooms and bathrooms are very clean. Now for the bed. Marriott has Temprepedic mattresses which are like sleeping on a rock to me. It is difficult to turn or get out of the bed, they are so firm. Since the new rooms have new mattresses, these were especially HARD! I have a sleep number bed at home, so this mattress was a board compared. I slept very little the two nights I was there. The staff except for the bellman, or lack of bellman, were great. As I left, I needed help with my bags and no bellman in sight again. He mysteriously appeared when I re-entered the hotel after dragging my bags to the car. I did get free internet as a Marriott Rewards member which would have otherwise been $12.95 a day. Overall this is a very nice, clean, consistent hotel. Get rid of the mattresses and hire some bellman that are not watching the Superbowl or hiding and it would be grand!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the grounds. Also, ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Slm1206
GriffinGate, Manager at Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for the very thoughtful review, Slm1206. We certainly appreciate all of our compliments regarding our newly renovated rooms. All of our rooms will be completed in just a few short weeks ahead!

I would like to apologize for the less than exemplary service you experienced from our team. We take great pride in providing outstanding service and I'm sorry you did not experience this. We will follow up on your feedback and make this an important "teachable moment" with our team.

We appreciate your feedback also regarding our new Tempur-Pedic Contour Select beds. We understand the importance a good night's rest. The great folks at Tempur-Pedic - along with several of our guests who own Tempur-Pedic mattresses - have assured us that in a very short amount of time these new mattresses will fully "break-in" and not feel as firm as what you experienced. In the meantime, our team has begun offering additional pillow-type type padding when guests mention this to us.

Thank you again for your review, and please let me know if there is anything we can do to assist you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Dan Sirrine
Director of Operations
Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Tinley Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

The family and I stayed at the Griffin Gate Resort during Fourth of July 2012. The rates were reasonable, the property had a lot of nice amenities. The staff was very friendly, and it showed from large gestures to small: showing us two different rooms and let us pick which one we felt best accommodated the four of us, to sharing the best place to watch the fireworks. The gesture for which I'm most grateful? When I forgot some items of clothing in the closet, and they shipped them back to me - without charging me for my mistake.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were part of a large group that stayed there at christmas. The room rates are very reasonable. The best thing was; my daughter left her camera behind and I contacted them and they mailed it back to me in Canada. That sort of honesty and devotion to customers doesn't exist anymore. I say when you find a place that treats you this right ; stick with it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Liberty Township, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Just want to congratulate this Marriott on delightful improvements!
The lighting is bright and cheery, especially an improvement in the bathroom, which made for much better make-up application! I have to say even the shower curtain added to the light flow, allowing light to be evenly distributed throughout the bath/shower area, a major light improvement!
Colors are peaceful and relaxing.....the desk chair......a hugh difference during my few hours of desk work.
Appreciate your attention to excellence.
Always a pleasure to stay with Marriott.

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel frequently over the past 5 years and for the past 2 nights I stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms. Major improvement in the size of the bathrooms! The room was large too and nicely appointed with a big flat screen TV, great desk chair, and new lighting with updated options. I always enjoy the Griffin Gate but this renovation made the rooms much nicer. I had a corner room which may be larger than others but great updates in general. This property also has a nice restaurant and bar, a golf course, great outdoor pool, a spa, as well as a Starbucks and gift shop in case you need to buy meds, toiletries, or specialty KY items. The staff is friendly and always accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers and families. Try the KY Butter Cake on the restaurant or room service menu. It's yummy. My only complaint was specific to the drilling noise that was going on at 4:30pm which was very disruptive and I had to go to a different part of the hotel for a conference call I was hosting. Not sure when the renovation will be complete but I will continue to stay there because of the staff and great past experiences.

1 Thank Lori C
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been staying at this property for some time. While there are many other good options in Lexington, KY (Hilton, Hilton Suites, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, etc.) I keep coming back to the Marriott Griffin Gate due to the people at the front desk, in room keeping, in the concierge, and in top management.

They make my many stays feel like I am at home. They are proactive before my stay and when I have needs or question at other locations, they help connect me to the right people to address my needs.

Good people, a revised and revamped building, and a great grounds. I will keep coming back.

Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was the first time staying at this hotel for a conference. It is definitely a business hotel instead of one that I would stay with family. The hotel was under renovations, but I ended up getting to be the first person to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms. Here are the positive/negative items of my stay:

Positives:
* Friendly and helpful staff
* Free parking unless you do valet, which is $20. Honestly, you are better off parking the vehicle yourself and saving $$ as the valet parking was right beside the free parking.
* Bath & Body Works bath stuff was used
* Hotel requests for extra pillows/towels and fridge were met without any trouble
* Air conditioning/heat system was digitally adjustable and the room was comfortable.
* Several restaurants and gift shop/Starbucks available. If you left something home or need medicine, they have it available at the shop. If you need something of Kentucky, they have it too. Bottled pops are $2.25 whether you buy out of a machine or at the gift shop.

Negatives:
* Dimly lit parking lot for the back lot spaces. Beware of your surroundings.
* Tempur-Pedic beds were horrible and stiff. I wasn't able to get much sleep on the new bed. When I asked about any rooms without Tempur-Pedic beds, I was told there were none.
* Room smelled like fresh paint, only to find out it was due to the beds "airing out."
* Bathrooms are way too small. Beware if your neighbor is using the shower, you may not have hot water or much water pressure while taking a shower. At one point during my shower, I was surprised with scorching hot water.
* Hotel charges $12.95 for Wi-Fi internet.
* Beware of $25 per day "incidental fee" if you use a debit card. I was not told this when I checked in. They charged my entire stay plus $25/day on the first day. I discovered this when looking at my bank statement online.

Because of the very uncomfortable beds, I probably will not stay at this hotel again. The staff was friendly from the front desk to housekeeping. The rooms were very clean, yet small. If you are planning a convention or meeting, be sure to have enough chairs in the breakout rooms as many of our meetings had people standing in the back. Also, be sure to ask what floor they are renovating so you can make sure to not be above/below it while they are working on it.

There is also a spa on site that you can use even if you are not staying at the hotel. Prices are online for the various services offered.

Room Tip: They are renovating rooms, so be sure to ask what floor they are working on.
    • 1 of 5 stars