“Room renovations are really nice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa

Griffin Gate Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Charleston, West Virginia
“Room renovations are really nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel frequently over the past 5 years and for the past 2 nights I stayed in one of the recently renovated rooms. Major improvement in the size of the bathrooms! The room was large too and nicely appointed with a big flat screen TV, great desk chair, and new lighting with updated options. I always enjoy the Griffin Gate but this renovation made the rooms much nicer. I had a corner room which may be larger than others but great updates in general. This property also has a nice restaurant and bar, a golf course, great outdoor pool, a spa, as well as a Starbucks and gift shop in case you need to buy meds, toiletries, or specialty KY items. The staff is friendly and always accommodating. I would recommend this hotel to business travelers and families. Try the KY Butter Cake on the restaurant or room service menu. It's yummy. My only complaint was specific to the drilling noise that was going on at 4:30pm which was very disruptive and I had to go to a different part of the hotel for a conference call I was hosting. Not sure when the renovation will be complete but I will continue to stay there because of the staff and great past experiences.

1 Thank Lori C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been staying at this property for some time. While there are many other good options in Lexington, KY (Hilton, Hilton Suites, Embassy Suites, Hyatt, etc.) I keep coming back to the Marriott Griffin Gate due to the people at the front desk, in room keeping, in the concierge, and in top management.

They make my many stays feel like I am at home. They are proactive before my stay and when I have needs or question at other locations, they help connect me to the right people to address my needs.

Good people, a revised and revamped building, and a great grounds. I will keep coming back.

Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was the first time staying at this hotel for a conference. It is definitely a business hotel instead of one that I would stay with family. The hotel was under renovations, but I ended up getting to be the first person to stay in one of the newly renovated rooms. Here are the positive/negative items of my stay:

Positives:
* Friendly and helpful staff
* Free parking unless you do valet, which is $20. Honestly, you are better off parking the vehicle yourself and saving $$ as the valet parking was right beside the free parking.
* Bath & Body Works bath stuff was used
* Hotel requests for extra pillows/towels and fridge were met without any trouble
* Air conditioning/heat system was digitally adjustable and the room was comfortable.
* Several restaurants and gift shop/Starbucks available. If you left something home or need medicine, they have it available at the shop. If you need something of Kentucky, they have it too. Bottled pops are $2.25 whether you buy out of a machine or at the gift shop.

Negatives:
* Dimly lit parking lot for the back lot spaces. Beware of your surroundings.
* Tempur-Pedic beds were horrible and stiff. I wasn't able to get much sleep on the new bed. When I asked about any rooms without Tempur-Pedic beds, I was told there were none.
* Room smelled like fresh paint, only to find out it was due to the beds "airing out."
* Bathrooms are way too small. Beware if your neighbor is using the shower, you may not have hot water or much water pressure while taking a shower. At one point during my shower, I was surprised with scorching hot water.
* Hotel charges $12.95 for Wi-Fi internet.
* Beware of $25 per day "incidental fee" if you use a debit card. I was not told this when I checked in. They charged my entire stay plus $25/day on the first day. I discovered this when looking at my bank statement online.

Because of the very uncomfortable beds, I probably will not stay at this hotel again. The staff was friendly from the front desk to housekeeping. The rooms were very clean, yet small. If you are planning a convention or meeting, be sure to have enough chairs in the breakout rooms as many of our meetings had people standing in the back. Also, be sure to ask what floor they are renovating so you can make sure to not be above/below it while they are working on it.

There is also a spa on site that you can use even if you are not staying at the hotel. Prices are online for the various services offered.

Room Tip: They are renovating rooms, so be sure to ask what floor they are working on.
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank thekentucker
richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stumbled across this hotel while we were traveling across country from Virginia to Missouri....we were stuck in a snow storm and could not make it to our destination. We stopped at this hotel for one night....had a delicious meal in the restaurant and then relaxed in the amazing hot tub at 11:00pm at night. The beds were fantastic and the room was very comfortable....gorgeous hotel and we did not even see the surroundings.

We would definitely stay at this hotel again in the future!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We chose this hotel because they have a spa. We wanted to have a relaxing weekend visiting my daughter and son. The hotel is not to far from the airport and major freeways. The staff was excellent, especially Derek in the spa! We will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the past three years. I love the tempurpedic mattresses and the great pillows and bedding. However, the lack of free wifi is inexcusable, especially in a hotel for business travelers. It is ridiculous that this hotel wants to charge $13 a day for wifi when you can get free wifi at any Fred's Flop a Bed off the interstate. The only other complaint I have is that there was no ventilation fan in the bathroom, but I can't give more than three stars to a hotel without free wifi in 2012. It has become standard, and I wish the Marriott would get with it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank est097
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

As you would expect this Marriott has nice rooms and is very clean. What suprised me was how extra nice the staff was. I needed a conference room...they offered up the private dining room, it was raining they gave me an umbrella, I forgot my pants in the room and they shipped them overnight to me...free of charge. Business travel can be tough...the staff at the Griffin Gate made my the hotel stay a very pleasant!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business