“Excellent and poor!”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Radford, Virginia
“Excellent and poor!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Tried the spring rolls. They were excellent with a great dip. The Pad Thai was excellent. The Panang Curry was the worst in the world I have ever tasted! I spent a week in Thailand learning to cook Thai food and this is not Thai! It was white rice with a fair sauce smothered in mushy peas. I would recommend not even trying it! Unless you like a bunch of mushy peas! Service was friendly. I would like to try some of the other items as they do look interesting. Reviews were very mixed. I feel the same way. Take a chance if you like to try something new.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank MartinR4961
thaiorchidcafelex, Owner at Thai Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear MartinR4961:

I am happy that you enjoyed your spring rolls and Pad Thai and that you offered us a favorable rating overall. I am disappointed to hear your comments regarding the Panang Curry, though. Especially the comment that it is not Thai. Our kitchen has a combined 100+ years of Thai cooking experience. As a first generation Thai American, I have been cooking Thai food since I was 10 years old and am excited to bring our family's version of Thai cuisine to Lexington.

While I am pleased you were able to take a cooking class for one week in Thailand, I don't believe that grants you the authority to criticize the "Thai-ness" of our food. Our menu is a mix of traditional and more modern takes on Thai cuisine that my native Thai mother has been cooking for over 60 years. We feel this is the beauty and art of cooking. It is an expression of who we are and our restaurant is how we share our own personal family recipes with friends and customers. I understand if our curry did not suit your personal taste preferences. But I find it offensive that you claim that it is not Thai.

If you would like to continue discussing this matter, my email is info@thaiorchidcafe.net. I would be happy to speak with you.

Kindly yours,
Toa Green
Chef/Owner of Thai Orchid Cafe

“Two Trips in One”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

My family visited Thai Orchid in July after hearing about the Crank and Boom icecream they serve in house. Thai is our favorite cuisine and a real treat. While Lexington has several outstanding and a few pretty good Thai restaurants, this one ranks last. The curry that I had and the pad Thai that my other family members had was the worst we have ever tasted. The Crank and Boom icecream, which was our reason for trying this place for the first time although it is out of our way, was a real disappointment. The bill, for lunch, for 5 people, was $120 before tip. The food was flavorless (which seems like it should be impossible to do with Thai cuisine) and the icecream was full of little hard balls of fat that would melt in your mouth and over your tongue and the roof of your mouth forming a thick fatty paste. Try the Bankok House or Planet Thai. Both are superior. The best part of our experience at Thai Orchid was the service, which was very good. I couldn't bring myself to answer when she asked if our food was good. Not the sweet server's fault.

• Visited July 2013
Wolf, Wyoming
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“cannot believe this restaurant has been so highly rated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I am amazed that this restaurant has been so highly rated. Could not taste lemon grass in the tom yum soup. Sauce in the fresh Vege special was just a very salty soy sauce. The panang curry was lacking both in style and taste. The service was friendly but we ordered a tom yum and a tom ka soup and the waiter did not realize that he brought two tom kas. The suggested paired wine was a local wine but not a good wine so what is the point if the idea is to have a nice dinner? Signs all over describing their partnering with local projects such as a recycler and composter. I felt they were more interested in being "green" than providing a good meal for their patrons. The restaurant was clean, well lit and friendly. Have eaten Thai in many cities and states using Trip Advisor as our guide. This time the guide struck out.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jake b
CMI, IL
“Nothnig Special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is not a real restaurant. The Pad Thai was OK. I had better. The Staff was friendly and willing to help.

Visited August 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“About our favorite restaurant in Lexington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Hubby and I really enjoy ethnic food and Thai Orchid is about our favorite place in town. The food is always excellent and we love it that the owner will come out and talk to us about food-ok we're foodies. The Pad Thai is mmm here but I've tried lots of things and have not been disappointed. Anxious to try the ice cream.

• Visited June 2013