“Dependable quality Thai food” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Lexington, Kentucky
“Dependable quality Thai food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

We picked up takeout from Thai Orchid this weekend because I was too tired to cook and didn't feel like going out, but under most circumstances, I want to go sit down at Thai Orchid and enjoy their beautiful, quaint atmosphere and friendly service. I ordered the basil garlic chicken by mistake - I meant to order their sweet chile basil chicken, and let me assure you, in spite of being surprised by my mistake, I was not the least bit disappointed! It was so delicious, and probably lower fat than what I meant to order, so I was really happy. I am the kind of person who really obsesses over particular dishes at restaurants, and have a hard time ordering something else once I've found that one dish, but at Thai Orchid, I am confident that no matter what I get, I'm going to like it. I love their new web site, and highly recommend them! I do wish they would bring back their fresh spring rolls, but their choices are all still good.

Visited September 2012

“I'm ready to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We picked up dinner tonight, which is not our usual habit. We love going to the restaurant to be greeted by name by Cat, who provides fabulous service in their simple, but elegant storefront. Ttonight the three of us passed around three dishes: pad Thai, Coconut Curry Shrimp, and Sweet Chile Basil Chicken. My favorite was the Sweet Chile Basil Chicken, because my husband ordered the curry a bit hot for me! It was delicious, but I usually order it mild. The Pad Thai was also very good, but not my favorite dish they serve. I'm especially fond of their pineapple curry and the Mongolian barbeque. I didn't see the barbeque on their online ordering system, so maybe it's gone. If I have any complaint, it's about the website, which doesn't have a decent menu. It's an odd layout. Small complaint for an excellent place!

• Visited August 2012
Charleston, WV
“Thai? Not really”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012 via mobile

I'm a big fan of Thai food and we were ready for Thai when we saw this listing. The restaurant is small and the waiter was enthusiastic. Unfortunately, with one exception, the food was pretty poor and didn't have Thai flavors.

We started with the shrimp soup which was the highlight of dinner. Great flavors and heat and would be a hit at any Thai restaurant.

We ordered egg rolls which were the fried kind you would find in a typical Chinese-Amrican restaurant. Heavy. I'd skip these.

The waiter recommended the basil and chili dish for me and the three chicken sampler. When the rice came, we were offered chopsticks and I knew we were not going to get what we expected when it wasn't Jasmine rice. The rice was bland and dry and a total disappointment. Rice is the basis for most Thai dishes, not a side dish and I hope they upgrade their rice quickly.

The chicken sampler was a piece of breaded, fried chicken that had three sauces put on to sections. The peanut section was really peanutty and was ok, the sweet chili section had cilantro on it and we didn't care for it and the last had pineapple citrus flavors. None of these had any heat nor did they have true Thai flavors. The basil and chili dish didn't use Thai basil and had pretty bland chili sauce. We had ordered medium heat so there should have been some heat detected and there wasn't.

We really wanted to like this restaurant but the main courses were substandard and didn't show Thai flavors. Compliments to whomever made the shrimp soup. If you are looking for some quick take-out this might be OK but if you are looking to go to a sit-down Thai meal, I'd try to find something more authentic.

1 Thank hodag21378
thaiorchidcafelex, Owner at Thai Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear hodag21378,

I'm terribly sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit to Thai Orchid Cafe. Our family business, based on our Thai heritage combined with our local Kentucky culture, has grown each of the six years we've been in Lexington, so I feel confident that we're serving Thai food that our community enjoys.

Our recipes were created by my mother, who began cooking 56 years ago on the streets of Thailand with the local vendors in her small hometown of Chum Saeng. I was the first in my family born in the US and have been cooking and working in our family restaurants since I was seven years old. I think that our experience and immersion in Thai culture translates directly to our food. While some dishes are our own original creations, I feel we hold true to the principles and flavors of Thai cooking. I am sorry that you do not feel the food is authentically Thai.

Regarding the level of spiciness of your food, I’m sorry you felt your dish was bland. While many Thai dishes are spicy, I don’t believe that spice alone defines Thai flavor. We have spice racks available, as they do in Thailand, so that our customers can customize their dishes to whatever spice level desired. If this was not brought to your attention, then I apologize.

If you visit us again next time you're in town, please ask for me and I will be happy to work with you to create a meal closer to your expectations.

Kindly yours,
Toa Veerasethakul Green
Chef and Owner
Lexington, Kentucky
“Very Lovely restaurant serving great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stop in to the restaurant for dinner tonight. The Thai food was wonderful. We tried the egg rolls. They were very hot temperature and full of flavor. The other dishes we had were the Thai Fried rice which is a house favorite and shrimp Pad Thai. They were both delicious and we left hardly anything left on our plates. They also had home made peach and honey ice cream but we were too full to try it. They use food from the local farmers market also. The servers were very friendly and gave good service. Other wait staff even stopped by the table to chat and be sure we had everything we needed. We will definitely go back.

• Visited July 2012
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fresh, excellent service, great random gem in Lexington.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Visited this weekend for the first time with my parents visiting from out of town who were new to eating thai. It was a great experience, and I will definitely go back. Without having the experience to confirm its Thai authenticity, I still felt that it was was excellent food. It was fresh, without being overwhelmed by oil and grease. We shared lettuce wraps, chicken pad thai, chicken pad see ew, and the special which was roast port bao sliders. The service was superb. All items came quickly, and the waiter was excellent and anticipating our needs without being smothering. I will say that the spice levels are pretty mild, I chose "hot" which is in the middle of the scale and I could have gone higher without compromising flavor.

I've driven past the place a million times without thinking twice, and finally went per a glowing recommendation from friends. I will return, and I will spread the word.

• Visited July 2012