“Good cajun food fast!”

Ranked #14 of 962 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Gumbo Ya Ya Fast Casual Cajun Creole is locally owned & operated by Greg and Tressa Todd. Greg started his career in the Cajun restaurant business in 1989 as an assistant manager for New Orleans native Joe Vuskovich (Original founder of Jozo's Bayou Gumbo). Greg worked under Joe V's wing for many years as a prep cook, store manager & co-partner of the original Yats Cajun Creole. After several years in the business, Greg decided to open his own Cajun joint with a “keep it simple” motto & no frills. Thus the chalkboard menu and tax included pricing. The S. Broadway location opened it's doors in January of 2004 and continues to serve up Lexington's finest Cajun cuisine around. Greg takes great pride in knowing every plate of food served in his store is prepared by him using fresh local produce (no preservatives) & that he is dishing up damn good Cajun Creole for a can’t beat it price! So, whether your in the mood for the famous Yatwich, or you need to satisfy your irrepressible urge for Maque Choux, or you just want ya some Red Beans & Rice on Wash day, Ya Ya's has got you covered!
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Great, inexpensive fast food. You can choose between small and large portions. Each dish is served either over rice or pasta, your choice. My husband loves the crawfish creole. I love the maquechoux ("Mock Shoe") and the chicken creole. They also have hot sauces available if you want to add a little spice or heat. I would suggest the cajun power garlic sauce.
NOTE: This review pertains to the S. Broadway location.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

Why eat Cajun in Kentucky? Just because. We were on the road and stopped overnight in Lexington. It was a long day and we wanted something fast, but not a burger. For the price, this is a great place! We had the jambalaya and the chicken etouffe and shared them. Both were great! My husband thought the jambalaya was the best and I thought the etouffe was the best. Both were spicy and tasty. You can order a small plate or, for about a dollar more, you can get a large plate. (The large plates are $6.50 or $7.00.) My husband was very pleasantly surprised to find he could get a beer that wasn't the standard Bud or Miller. He had an Abita Ale "Turbodog", a Louisiana beer and said it was very good. You won't find much atmosphere here, but you will find good food.
NOTE: This review pertains to the S. Broadway location.

Reviewed February 15, 2010

I'm not big on hot & spicy food & I was glad to sample B4 ordering. I loved the maque chouy & the succotash . My friend loves hot & spicy so he was in heaven. He tried the white chilli & the gumbo & loved it. The prices were great for the amount you get. The food came to us fast & hot. The staff was great & friendly. I also liked that the resturant is local owned.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

I eat here once a week--this is clearly the best cajun/creole in Lexington. Very reasonable prices, huge portions, funky atmosphere...
Maque Choux is the star, but the Jambalaya is great, and feel free to try one of the rotating specials.
Also, you can split a dish--try two entrees. Great way to sample multiple dishes!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 31, 2009

I'm from Cajun Louisiana, so I have my own biases--turkey jambalaya? and it wasn't seasoned well, needed help from tabasco (which I hate doing).

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook