“Good food, mediocre ambience”
Review of Gumbo Ya Ya

Gumbo Ya Ya
Ranked #19 of 942 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Gumbo Ya Ya Fast Casual Cajun Creole is locally owned & operated by Greg and Tressa Todd. Greg started his career in the Cajun restaurant business in 1989 as an assistant manager for New Orleans native Joe Vuskovich (Original founder of Jozo's Bayou Gumbo). Greg worked under Joe V's wing for many years as a prep cook, store manager & co-partner of the original Yats Cajun Creole. After several years in the business, Greg decided to open his own Cajun joint with a “keep it simple” motto & no frills. Thus the chalkboard menu and tax included pricing. The S. Broadway location opened it's doors in January of 2004 and continues to serve up Lexington's finest Cajun cuisine around. Greg takes great pride in knowing every plate of food served in his store is prepared by him using fresh local produce (no preservatives) & that he is dishing up damn good Cajun Creole for a can’t beat it price! So, whether your in the mood for the famous Yatwich, or you need to satisfy your irrepressible urge for Maque Choux, or you just want ya some Red Beans & Rice on Wash day, Ya Ya's has got you covered!
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My kids and I, and one of their friends, ate here on October 4th. My kids are especially timid when it comes to trying new foods and this was no exception. The staff, however, was very friendly and obliging, and served my daughter a bowl of plain pasta, which is not on the menu. The boys both tried gumbo, but weren't crazy about it, but I didn't expect them to be. At least they tried it. I on the other hand, enjoyed both the gumbo and maque choux. Both were a little light on meat, but had a good taste, and the price was very, very reasonable. I don't have a lot of experience with cajun food, but I have had a variety of jumbalaya, etoufee, and gumbo over the years. This was not the best, nor the worst, but was a solid choice compared to fast food. The ambience could use a bit of work; the restaurant is in a small strip mall, and the decor and furnishings remind me more of a cheap pizza joint, but it was clean and comfortable on our visit.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

The food was excellent and the place was easy to find. Everything was clean and the staff were very friendly. My husband loved the ettoufee and the gumbo was awesome. The food was spiced just right and so were the prices. A must go!!!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you happen to be staying in the Springhill Suites on S. Broadway, this place is really close to you, and well worth your time to visit them. I'm a big believer in TripAdvisor restaurant reviews while I'm the road, and this restaurant lives up to all the positive reviews it's garnered. Cajun YA YA is a small place pretty close to Buffalo Wild Wings, but, your food experience will be better at Cajun YA YA. I ordered a large jambalaya ($6.75), and it was ready in less than 3 minutes. It was a healthy sized portion, and included garlic bread. I was extremely pleased with the flavors, the amount of spices, and the freshness of the ingredients. The seating area isn't terribly spacious, but it had a comfortable feel to it. I did notice a steady stream of take out customers, and they were in and out in a matter of minutes, and clearly big fans of the place. I will definitely be revisiting Cajun YA YA anytime I'm in Lexington.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Would never have found this witout trip advisor-but glad we looked for it. The servings of the small plate were way more than enough for me-I am not a spice or heat person, but the food here was flavorful without the lip burning that comes with many creole/cajun dishes. I went with the pasta but I think the rice would have been a better choice. Clean from the door onward-and well worth bypassing the BW3 in the same plaza.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I visited Gumbo Ya Ya during my weekend in Lexington based upon the Trip Advisor reviews. I was not disappointed and really wish I had a place like this to visit at home! It would add nice variety to the mediterranean and Thai food I usually choose. I appreciated that they had vegetarian/vegan options available and my meat-eating friend enjoyed her meal as well. Really great value for the price.

1  Thank Stephanie P