“I wish I lived in Lexington!”
Review of Gumbo Ya Ya

Gumbo Ya Ya
Ranked #17 of 918 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Description: Gumbo Ya Ya Fast Casual Cajun Creole is locally owned & operated by Greg and Tressa Todd. Greg started his career in the Cajun restaurant business in 1989 as an assistant manager for New Orleans native Joe Vuskovich (Original founder of Jozo's Bayou Gumbo). Greg worked under Joe V's wing for many years as a prep cook, store manager & co-partner of the original Yats Cajun Creole. After several years in the business, Greg decided to open his own Cajun joint with a “keep it simple” motto & no frills. Thus the chalkboard menu and tax included pricing. The S. Broadway location opened it's doors in January of 2004 and continues to serve up Lexington's finest Cajun cuisine around. Greg takes great pride in knowing every plate of food served in his store is prepared by him using fresh local produce (no preservatives) & that he is dishing up damn good Cajun Creole for a can’t beat it price! So, whether your in the mood for the famous Yatwich, or you need to satisfy your irrepressible urge for Maque Choux, or you just want ya some Red Beans & Rice on Wash day, Ya Ya's has got you covered!
Columbus, Ohio
“I wish I lived in Lexington!”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I had an indifferent relationship with gumbo until I visited this restaurant. My husband and I split dishes that included Gumbo, Jambalaya, and Red Beans & Rice, and I loved all of them. The flavors are complex without being overwhelming, and the spice level is good for those of us with more sensitive palates. My husband spiced his up with the Spicy Garlic sauce. I am now obsessed with finding similar gumbo recipes but fear they won't be like Gumbo Ya Ya food.

Richmond, Virginia
“Fast, cheap & tasty Cajun/Creole”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

A few miles off the interstate, this place is definitely worth the drive. Don't expect table linens in this storefront eatery but don't expect to wait either. After ordering and paying at the counter my food was ready before I sat down. The Alligator Piquant and Maque Choux were delicious. What a surprise to find quick Cajun in Kentucky!

Duluth, Minnesota
“Just what we wanted”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

After almost 10 hours of driving and fast food for lunch, we needed something tasty for dinner on out way to TN. We are a family of five with three young children. We ALL loved the food!. Service was fast and friendly and restaurant was very clean. Booths accommodated ou game of UNO after dinner. Thanks for a wonderful meal. Note- we all love spicy-, so we found it perfect for our taste. Worth the few miles off the highway.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
“Taste of New Orleans in Lexington”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I've been to New Orleans multiple times, so I was excited to find this place in Lexington while visiting. The portions were huge but really cheap; I got a plate with 2 different dishes (chicken creole and red beans and rice) that came with toasted bread, and a drink for under $10. They have good options, with many dishes that are spicy and some with just a hint of Cajun seasoning, so there is something for everyone (my friend isn't a big fan of spice but loved her food). Also, the atmosphere is fun and authentic to New Orleans. Also, relatively close to UK campus. A great, cheap lunch spot!

• Visited July 2013
Frisco, Texas
“Wonderful last minute find”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Of course we were getting hungry, leaving Cincinnati at 6:30pm, on the way to Asheville NC. Best way to find cajun or creole at 7:30..tripadvisor, or course...at any rate the joint has a real southern feel, with blues playing in the background, kitchey stuff on the walls, all around. OverLl its the kind of place I would love go have in my backyard..Staff helpful, friendly and took a few minutes to cover the essentials. Simple really. About 10 different itme on the board at a time,including etteaufe (?), gumbos, red beans, which the explain whats in them, etc...very nice. Oh and they will give you a sample spoonfull of anything to try ! Fantastic idea here...Ok so, the offer a small and large serving size plate;of which the large offers choice of two items on a plate, served with a smallish chunk of warmish bread. Then, he offers a rather odd choice as I ordered jambalaya and red beans and rice....he asks to serve over pasta or rice....hmmmm....things that make you go hmmmm.....ok so my date had gumbo..all in all, real good food, great space, helpful staff. This is why we go out to eat guys...check it out...

• Visited July 2013