“First stop whenever I'm in town!”
Review of Gumbo Ya Ya

Gumbo Ya Ya
Ranked #20 of 921 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating
Description: Gumbo Ya Ya Fast Casual Cajun Creole is locally owned & operated by Greg and Tressa Todd. Greg started his career in the Cajun restaurant business in 1989 as an assistant manager for New Orleans native Joe Vuskovich (Original founder of Jozo's Bayou Gumbo). Greg worked under Joe V's wing for many years as a prep cook, store manager & co-partner of the original Yats Cajun Creole. After several years in the business, Greg decided to open his own Cajun joint with a “keep it simple” motto & no frills. Thus the chalkboard menu and tax included pricing. The S. Broadway location opened it's doors in January of 2004 and continues to serve up Lexington's finest Cajun cuisine around. Greg takes great pride in knowing every plate of food served in his store is prepared by him using fresh local produce (no preservatives) & that he is dishing up damn good Cajun Creole for a can’t beat it price! So, whether your in the mood for the famous Yatwich, or you need to satisfy your irrepressible urge for Maque Choux, or you just want ya some Red Beans & Rice on Wash day, Ya Ya's has got you covered!
Fairbanks, Alaska
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First stop whenever I'm in town!”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I'm from Lexington but live in Alaska now. Whenever I visit Lex this is the first place I go to. I have been eating at this place since it opened. Since before then. If you're lucky you know what I mean. The Maque Choux (probably sic) is amazing. I once heard an ER nurse at UK describe it as edible cocaine. I think you actually can eat cocaine but no way it tastes as good as this stuff. The White Chili is awesome, the Pazoli Stew is great. You can get them over rice or pasta, I always choose pasta, the Yats way. There are other good things on their menu but I can't break myself from eating the three things I love so much. Oh, and they have Ale-8 1 on fountain!! If you don't know what that is then you're not from Kentucky. Nothing wrong with that, but Ale-8 1 is the perfect companion for these meals. One last thing, a late night Yatwich reheated in the microwave is a great snack. You'll love it.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank StephonFlynn

Decatur, Alabama
“D E L I C I O U S!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband loves Cajun food and this was no exception. All the dishes were great and you can have a plate with a variety of items. Also, you can sample anything you want before you order. We really enjoyed our lunch here. It was a very popular place. We loved the red beans and rice and the gumbo.

New York, USA
“Delish!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

The food is great and the quantity ample. Dine in or take out. Various cajun/creole thick sauces with/without meat and vegetables are served with either rice or pasta. Friendly and knowledgable owner who was also very patient and will give free taste samples to aid in decision making.

Raleigh, NC
“Great Cajun cuisine!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Decided to take the detour from my family's I-64 Eastbound drive to check this place out for lunch, and we were not disappointed! Received samples of the various dishes, and it was difficult to choose - they all tasted great! When you order a large plate, you can choose to combine two items from the menu. We had the Gumbo, Maque Choux and Crawfish Creole. I liked the Choux Choux E'toufee from the sample they gave me and I did not think about ordering an tiem or two for take out - a non-decision I immediately regretted as soon as we were back on the interstate. Service was fast. The food was affordable - you can easily spend more at a fast-food place. If we are ever in Lexington again, we will definitely get our grub here. Highly recommended!

• Visited June 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“This is Not Your Typical Cajun!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Normally I am not a fan of Cajun food, at least not the kind you find here in Lexington, KY, but Gumbo Ya Ya's has redefined my perspective. Most Canjun restaurants that I have been to, including the confusingly popular "Bourbon and Toulouse," serve fare that is not deserving to be served from a Rice a Roni box.

With that being said, I have never been to Louisiana, however I suspect Gumbo Ya Ya is the genuine article (my wife says so, and she has been!). Portions are sized in either large or small servings, with your choice of rice or pasta. Each entree comes with buttered garlic bread.

My wife and I absolutely love the maque choux on pasta. The creamy sauce has lumps of crawfish morsels, and is similar to a thick alfredo.

Aside from a few select beer choices, and your typical soda pop lineup, Gumbo Ya Ya is one of the few restaurants in the region to have Ale 8 One served on fountain (a local Kentucky favorite). King cakes (baby included) are also sold here.

The restaurant itself is colorfully decorated in the mardis gras motiff, and blues music is constantly piped in through the stereo system. This is a fun delicious restaurant!