“Amenities unusable or unavailable.”

Howard Johnson Inn Lexington
Ranked #45 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Amenities unusable or unavailable.”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After booking via Hotwire, I called to request a non-smoking room if possible, and the person I spoke to (Rebecca) was very nice and helpful.

At first glance we were pleased with our room. Though it was very hot until we turned on the A/C ourselves, with a strong "hotel room" smell, it seemed attractive and clean enough, also very spacious. It had a pretty bedspread, a marble countertop in the bathroom, a couch, a coffee table, and an armchair, as well as a table/desk. The TV was an old-school one (which I mention because some other reviewers got TVs with flat screens) with very few channels. There was a mini fridge, which was a pleasant surprise.

Since we intended to use the pool and hot tub, we were happy to discover an external door from our room to the courtyard area, leading out onto an enclosed patio with a gate to the pool. However, this gate was chained and padlocked. Also, one of the nearby rooms had large "playground" type children's toys arranged on the enclosed patio that gave a suspiciously permanent air to that room. We were concerned about noise for this reason, but thankfully didn't notice any.

We called the front desk and explained that our room was one of the ones with an external door to the fenced area by the pool, and asked if the chain on the gate could be removed. The person on the other end, who did not identify herself but sounded bored and bothered by the phone call, said rudely, "What do you mean, your room has an external door?"

I explained patiently once again. She seemed to have trouble grasping the fact that our room had a door leading onto a fenced patio area and that the gate to the pool from this area was padlocked. If she had just said, "I'm sorry, unfortunately we have to leave that gate locked because of XYZ," it would have been one thing. Instead, she said she would call a maintenance man to unlock it. Silly me, I believed her at first.

Nothing ever happened to the chain and padlock, of course, for the duration of our stay. When I decided to go swimming, walking around the hallways to get there instead of going out my door, I was baffled by the main gate to the pool, which was at least not padlocked, but was fastened in several places with plastic zip ties. (?) From the appearance of the gate, it looked like I couldn't get in that way either. However, a young lady sitting at a table just outside the pool area told me she thought the latch at the very top worked, and it did.

No one else was swimming. I soon found out why. Though it was a hot day, one in a series of many hot days, the water was almost intolerably cold. I've swum in the Atlantic when blah blah blah, etc. etc., and I'm serious when I say this pool was COLD. After trying to stick it through for a few minutes, I got out shivering and headed for the hot tub/spa area -- the main amenity for which I chose this hotel! -- only to find a note on the door saying it was out of service.

Unfortunately, that wasn't all. This hotel had THE single most uncomfortable mattress I have slept on in easily 20 years, including hotels with lower star ratings than this. My friend and I both slept poorly and both of us had backaches the next morning. Also, there were multiple cigarette burn holes in the sheets which is just gross, especially in a non-smoking room.

Oh, and since another reviewer said the breakfast was good and varied, let me clarify that the selection was sweetened cereals, waffles, pastries, bread for toast, and that's it. I realize this is (sadly) typical of free breakfasts offered by cheap hotels and is not unique to this hotel, but thought I should mention it in case someone was hoping for more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lillassea
akshayp86, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Lexington, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for taking time to critique your recent stay at Howard Johnson's Lexington. We are sorry to hear that your stay was anything less than excellent. It is reviews, such as yours, that let us know what areas need improvement.

We are constantly evaluating what is offered on our continental breakfast bar in order to ensure that each of our valued guests will be well accomodated. We are in the process of many upgrades and updates to our facility. Some of our rooms still have the old style television set. But, we are working hard to get flat screen tv's in all of our rooms. And, that task should be completed in the not so distant future. Also, as part of these updates and upgrades, we will be evaluating replacing the existing mattresses with brand new mattresses.

We are very sorry to hear that any of our front desk associates were less than enthusiastic and accomodating. We do have several new employees working for the company. It is possible that the new associate was not fully aware that some of the rooms had doors on the exterior that lead straight into the pool. Maybe the possible confusion led the associate to sound less than enthusiastic. Regardless, this issue has been addressed with all associates in order to ensure that this same scenario will not be experienced by you or any of our other valued guests in the future.

Once again, thanks for taking time to critique your recent stay with us at Howard Johnson's Lexington. It is our sincere hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Lexington area. Give us a chance to have you depart saying "Wow!".

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Waynesville
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I got a room at the Lexington HJ because of the price. I didn't really expect much other than a clean bed, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were new, with HDTVs with a few hundred channels, and well kept, and VERY clean. It was nicer than a lot of the more expensive hotels I have stayed in. I would highly suggest this HJ to anyone who needs a place to stay in lexington but doesn't want to spend a small fortune. HAPPY TRAVELS!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

akshayp86, Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Lexington, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thanks for taking time to review your recent stay with us at Howard Johnson's Lexington. We are very glad to hear that you had an excellent experience. It is reviews like yours that let our loyal value guests and potential guests know what upgrades are being made. Thanks again for taking time to review your stay at Howard Johnson's Lexington. It is our sincere hope that you will stay with us each and everytime you are in the Lexington area.