“Beautiful setting, but unpredictable service and overpriced meals” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jean Farris Winery

Jean Farris Winery
Ranked #51 of 116 things to do in Lexington
State College, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting, but unpredictable service and overpriced meals”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I visited Jean Farris on a Sunday afternoon, hoping to do a wine tasting, enjoy some cheese and crackers, and then stay on for dinner. I even called ahead to make sure no reservation was required for the wine tasting and was assured we could just come in to the bar at any time. Upon arrival, the restaurant was mostly empty, but the bar was full. The hostesses didn't seem to know what to do with us and said we had to go to the bar for wine tasting because they could not do the tastings outside or at one of the tables. (How hard is it to bring the wines to a table?!) We stood and waited for some people to leave the bar for about 15 minutes, then took their spots. The bartender didn't acknowledge us for another 10 minutes, and then said my companion could not make any substitutions for the whiskey tasting. Despite this very rocky start, we decided to stay on for dinner, and while the soup and salad were both delicious, they were very overpriced. So, in short, lovely location, but sketchy service and overpriced menu selections.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Susan K

Janesville, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“California Quality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

This is a must visit for wine lovers. The wine bar/ restaurant is very upscale offering chef prepared food and wine made from California grapes. Their cabernet sauvignon is comparable to that of well known wineries. There is seating at the bar, at intimate tables and outside as well.

Visited April 2014
Sellersburg, Indiana
154 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Nice winery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

Stopped in for a wine tasting and bought a bottle afterwards. Nice looking vineyards at the entrance. A beautiful drive to the winery, although you should keep your eyes open because the winery kinda sneaks up on you.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank ManningAvenger
Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rates as one of my worst dining experiences EVER!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Celebrated an anniversary here last Friday evening. The first thing out of the waiter's mouth was, "We are SO busy!" My reply was, "That's OK, we are in no hurry." I didn't intend for that to mean, "We don't want to see much of you the remainder of the meal." We'd been looking forward to eating here all week and wanted it to be a relaxing experience. Our salads came out without detectable dressing. I got all the way to the bottom of the bowl and it was dry. The lettuce was bagged and the carrots were the pre-peeled bagged type as well. How difficult is it to freshly peel and slice a carrot? Additionally, what is the point of placing a bread plate and butter knife on the table if, throughout the meal, bread never makes an appearance? Our entree was not at all as describe on the menu. It was undoubtedly the worst Coq au Vin I've ever tasted. "Fingerling potatoes"? Really? They were huge! There was a reappearance of the pre-peeled, bagged carrots as well. Bland salad, bland entree, no bread...the waiter didn't even refill our water glasses. I didn't complain about anything at the time because this was intended to be an evening of celebration. We cut our losses and went elsewhere for dessert. We won't be going back until the wait staff have been trained on how to properly care for guests and when Jean Farris has hired a new chef. Shame on the general manager. This was an expensive meal by most standards and I've tasted better hospital food.

Visited September 2013
5 Thank Brian19702013
Ohio
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Better in some regards, than California”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

I recommend it and will visit again after my first visit last weekend...kinda surprised I haven't been sooner.
Overall, very nice place and worth a visit. It is a pleasant / short drive out to the winery in the country and you will find an enjoyable wine.

Very nice restaurant and tasting area to start with. The wines are varied in varietals and quality...some very good, some not. Keep in mind, you're in Ky and I was surprised at how good most of the wines were and how well they were described on the wine list...very accurate. I tasted the red wines and only one was not good. The rest were average (what you'd expect) to very good...as good as California.

The appetizers / tasting foods were nice offerings to compliment the wines. This is the part that I thought was better than California...at least they had nice foods to compliment whatever varietal of wine you were tasting. This is not just a "walk in, pay and taste" place. You can enjoy the tasting in a very nice atmosphere with nice foods.

Also better than CA is the onsite restaurant. If you choose to dine (reservations recommended) you have a very nice menu to choose from and it is very good. The inside portion of the restaurant is very nice with an upscale atmosphere. The deck area, while nice, is not memorable like most in CA. The patio view is nice and furniture is fine too...just not "out of this world" nice.

The wait staff is very good and knows their products well. Very accomadating with the wine info as well as the menu. Good job.

I'm looking forward to another visit when I'm in town!

Visited August 2013