“HIghly Overrated!”
Review of Jean Farris Winery

Jean Farris Winery
Ranked #57 of 122 things to do in Lexington
Reviewed August 7, 2011

While visiting Lexington on business, we wanted to try something different and found the Jean Farris Winery had good reviews online. I can't imagine what there is to like. From the moment we walked in the door at 6:30 and were told we had to be out before 8:30 for the second seating, we were treated like we were lucky to be there. We had to ask three times to sample the wines before ordering a bottle; the waiter wanted us to take his advice instead of trying for ourselves. The portions were TINY and the prices were higher than New York City! Neither the food nor the wines were anything special. The wine is reasonably priced, the food is laughably overpriced.

11  Thank TornadoJohn
There are newer reviews for Jean Farris Winery

Reviewed August 19, 2010

I have tried for months to work things out with Jean Farris so that I didn't have to write a negative review. It hasn't worked. We have had two bad experiences at Jean Farris. We selected Jean Farris as a place for an employee Holiday Party. The service was so slow that people were ready to leave before they were served the first course. When we complained to the management/owners, their attitude was "too bad." The second disappointment was when I purchased a $100.00 gift card for a friend. She had a Valentine's Day dinner with her husband, and when she handed over the gift card, the server came back and said that the magnetic stripe wasn't working and they would have to pay for the dinner themselves and they would work out the problem later. When my friend called to complain, she finally credited her but the manager had at best an indifferent attitude. When I talked to the owner, Jeanie, about my embarrassment over the situation and the lack of caring for customer service, she looked at me with a puzzled glance and said, "what do you want, something for free?" No, Jeanie, I just want a restauranteur that appreciates and values her customers and expresses a desire to make it right when things don't go well.

24  Thank lastminutetraveler98
Reviewed June 12, 2010

After a day of hitting a few wineries, we ended up dining at Jean Farris Winery. Great food and service. Very friendly staff. Food was all very delicious!! Would highly recommend for anniversary or such... but for us it was a great time of girls weekend away.

1  Thank dolphsdals
Reviewed August 2, 2009

If you love food and love wine, this is the place for you! My husband and I have been taking weekend trips to Lexington for the past 4 years and we have found a couple good wineries, but nothing compares to Jean Farris. I don't typically write reviews but I couldn't wait to write this one. Every wine we tasted was great, not your typical sweet or fruity "local wine", it is made with true talent and could compete with any winery on the Pacific Coast. But, it isn't just the wine, the food was a true experience. The flavors were incredibly matched and exploded in your mouth. We had an opportunity to meet the chef, Javier, and compliment him personally (but I don't think we were able to put into words how much we enjoyed it). Our server was equally great, very attentive, perfectly timed our meal and had great recommendations, so if you go be sure to ask for Celeste. Then to top off the amazing meal, we were invited to sit around with the owners, their friends, the chef and a musician to enjoy a nightcap with them. And that is what great food and wine were created for....sharing! We will be going back frequently.

2  Thank KYwinegirl
Reviewed July 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I took an overnight trip to Lexington to visit a few vineyards and stumbled upon this treasure of a place. We had found it online before our trip and honestly hadn't decided on going until multiple people recommended it. What we got was a real treat!

We initially went just to do a wine tasting and leave. We didn't go anywhere else for the rest of the night. We started sampling their "Classic Whites" (6 samples for $7). As we progressed through the samples, each one was better than the last. The staff was very knowledgeable and eager to discuss wine. We also ordered a cheese plate (which came with a few other goodies) that was outstanding.

After our tasting we ordered a few glasses of wine ($4/glass) and discussed which bottles of wine we were going to purchase (none of the four bottles we purchased exceeded $20...a great value!). We took a look at the menu and decided to stay for dinner. We both got Chicken Chardonnay and Crème brûlée and were blown away by the meal.

We live in Cincinnati and will most definitely be visiting this winery again as soon as we can make a trip!

Recommended to any and all wine drinkers.

1  Thank TeddySwoze