“Fun, inventive dinner and drinks”
Review of Brasabana

Brasabana
Reserve with OpenTable
Brasabana is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 934 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Cuban
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Brasabana features Cuban cuisine that is naturally scented with the flavors of Latin America and the Caribbean (think plantains and slow braised pork). It will draw on the talents of Chef/Owner Miguel Rivas who hails from the Dominican Republic and trained as a culinary artist in New York City before locating to Lexington to be near family. It is a story of today’s global, mobile -- yet local reach -- that defines Brasabana.
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Three of us came for an early dinner to this attractive restaurant in a small strip shopping mall. We weren't sure what to expect from a Cuban restaurant in Kentucky but we were all delighted we came. It was definitely Cuban with touches of the Caribbean. The cocktail list was fun and my Cuban mojito was delicious. We enjoyed looking at the vibrant artwork decorating the walls while waiting for our food. We shared an avocado salad, which was so tasty we wished somebody would come to our house and serve this up every day. The carnitas and the Pork Havana were also very fresh and yummy. One of us is a vegetarian, and while there wasn't a specific area for vegetarians on the menu, the waitress said the chef likes to make up a special plate on request. It was great! We ended with two desserts, the Tres Leches, which was quite nice, and the Cuban Cigar, a flour less chocolate cake that was spectacular. Our only quibble: the menu is so
Busy it's hard to read. Our waitress, who was very attentive, said there is live music some nights, and the bar area would be a great spot from
Which to enjoy that. Can't wait to go back later this month when I'm in town!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife suggested Brasabana for dinner one night after she had ventured there with friends previously for a girl's night out. I said I've never had Cuban food before and she said it's kind of like Mexican food. At first I was hesitant as I did not feel like another taco or chicken chimi but I am glad I changed my mind. We pulled in the parking lot of a little strip mall type setting in a not-so fancy part of town but when we entered the environment was very classy and NEW. We ordered the Island chips for an appetizer. This is a platter filled to the brim with fried chips of plantain, sweet potato, and yucca served with a fantastic rendition of guacamole. I must say it was very delightful and filling. The plantain was very tasty as was the sweet potato. I didn't find the yucca chips as pleasant because it was just a bit too thin which made for a taste resembling Asian rice wrappers. My main course was the Pork Carnitas while my wife ordered the Pork Havana Nueva. I must say that the presentation was different but essentially these two entrees were almost identical in ingredients. My Carnitas came with savory tender hunks of meat fried slightly to allow a crisp texture on the outside but not taking away from the flavor on the inside. It was sided with a pyramid of white rice with sweet onions and a bowl of black beans which was well seasoned and quite delightful. I found it best dumped on and mixed with the rice. On the other side of the plate was a small slightly fried plantain to finish the meal. It was tasty but at that point I had consumed plantain for several people. My wife let me taste her meal which she described as, "the best pot roast"...to which I proclaimed, "except it's pork." I realized that her rice and beans were already mixed together and shaped into a pyramid on her plate. I can only assume this is to show a variety in plating. Our server was very friendly and provided great service. Unfortunately when she asked about dessert, we were so full we had no room. All in all, it was a great meal. Definitely not over priced for the portions because our tab including tip for an appetizer, two entrees, and two glasses of wine (for my wife) came out to $57.

Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went with friends on their recommendation. We shared appetizers with the Camaro being the better of the two.
My entrees was the Arroz con
Pollo with a side of Black Beans. The chicken was over cooked, the rice tasted like it came out of a can and the black beans had no seasoning at all and no taste. Having lived in South Florida I have had this dish many times and this was the worst.
My wife had the Peruvian Chicken and although it had some good flavor the chicken was very dry and tough.
Our friends were reasonably satisfied, but I for one will not return nor recommend this establishment. It is a shame since we know one of the chef/owners and were really hoping it would be good.

1  Thank Don C

Been to Brasabana? Share your experiences!