“Can't beat the breakfast!”

Winchell's Restaurant & Sports
Ranked #67 of 944 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

The beauty of a neighborhood place is that it feels like home and this is certainly the case with Winchell's. Food is consistent and the menu has something for everyone. Breakfast is wonderful with lots of specials. The service is good and always attentive. One of our 'Go To' places in the 'hood.

Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Hot brown best I've ever had. Better than Brown hotel. Great place to eat before the Cats play. Plenty of TV to keep up with all the games plus the breeders cup. We'll be back

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Family friendly sports bar serving high quality home cooked food. I had the best shrimp and grits ever (having eaten them in Savannah and New Orleans) and my husband enjoyed his chicken cordon blue. The servers wore sports jerseys from a variety of teams and friendly smiles. Was happy to have an option of sweet tea, a staple of the south. Noise level was low even though several football games were on, so did not interfere with conversation. Diner meets sports bar. Worth a drive. Will return next time we are in town to try the country fried steak and fish and chips. Other interesting items included Kentucky Hot Brown and rainbow trout. Open seven days a week. A great stop before going to Keeneland for the races.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having been to Winchell's before to watch NFL football on a Sunday and greatly enjoying the experience, I was really looking forward to trying their breakfast as I had heard it was quite good. My dad and I stopped in around 9am on a Monday morning, and there couldn't have been more than 10 people in the restaurant. The breakfast menu is not extensive but they do have some good options(french toast, waffles, pancakes, omelettes, etc). While the prices are not as cheap as you might expect for breakfast, each item comes with 2 side portions that are quite sizeable. The side items are very interesting as well, including grits, biscuits, bacon, sausage and a few others. I got the french toast with biscuits and homefries, and was very satisfied and couldn't even finish my whole meal. My dad was also happy with his meal. The only minor issue was the service was fairly spotty, especially considering our waitress probably only had 1 other table besides ours. On one occasion my dad's three drinks(water, coffee, OJ) were all empty, which is really something that shouldn't happen at an uncrowded restaurant. So if not for that this would've been 5 stars for sure, and even so we will certainly return. Recommended.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The main reason I like Winchell's is because I want to try most everything on the menu. I chose it for my birthday meal knowing everyone in our group would be pleased with the selections. So far I can recommend the Makers Mark Marinated Pork Chops. 2 large and tender chops. I had to do the Funny Farm -Country fried pork chop topped with country ham, bacon, a fried egg and pepper jack cheese. Served on a toasted Kaiser roll.
I cannot wait to go back and try other dishes. Robust food in a cafe with a definite feeling of a neighborhood diner.