Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lexington- Downtown / University
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Lexington
Erie, PA
“College Parent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2007

Our daughter is a soph at UK and we've visited her several times over the last year and a half. We've stayed at different hotels but the Holiday Inn Express is by far THE most convenient!! The indoor pool and hot tub are great. Lexington is pretty easy to get around, but HI Express is SO convenient to campus-a BIG plus! The hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly. There are some reviews complaining about the train noise, but we didn't notice it. We will definitely stay there again on our next visit!!

• Liked — convenience to UK campus
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Indonesian first
Redlands, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2007

A friend and I stayed there for Derby weekend and it was much better than staying in Louisville for our purposes. Its new and clean with spacious rooms and the desk staff were very pleasant. It is situated in a bit of a mini-wasteland--not much in the way of facilities right near by--but we really didn't notice the trains (we had separate rooms so we had two chances to hear them). Sure, it has no personality but I found no negatives and I would certainly stay there again--in fact next time, I think I'll watch the Derby at Keeneland! At least I could see something!

Stayed May 2007
Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2007

I stayed here for 2 nights due the proximity of the hotel to the University of Kentucky Hospital. It is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Chandler Medical Center. The rooms were nice, clean and updated. Bathrooms were large. The pool area was nice. Front desk was nothing but helpful. The lobby area was nice with a fireplace. Elevators worked wonderfully.

During the night you could here some trains. However if the air conditioner was on it was not an overwhelming sound what so ever. They didn't wake me nor did anyone traveling with me complain about them. I could see where placement in the hotel could possibly make a difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. (However I'm hoping I don't have to since I was there because of a family medical emergency.)

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank cruiserkaren
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2007

We stayed at this hotel while in town for the NCAA tournament. We walked to Rupp Arena, which is downtown, without a problem. It's a decent walk (1 mile or so) and certainly not scenic (it's a busy road), but it is still a convenient location for the price. The hotel itself is new, which gives it an advantage in cleanliness and modernity of decoration. Breakfast was pretty good for a continental,
with a large selection of healthy and unhealthy items.

• Liked — It's new
  • Disliked — Location could be better, but price is the offsetter
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
1 Thank spoon.17
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

We'd read the earlier reviews and what they say is true. This is a new hotel with good rooms, nice facilities and the staff were friendly. It has the usual holiday inn express standards and also a small internet office (free) as well as wifi (free). The breakfast is fine but very basic continental stuff (many free breakfast now include some hot items - and I don't include a warm pastry as a hot item).

There were two issue that disappointed me :

The trains - the hotel is literally next to the tracks and big noisy trains run through the night.

The hotel is located close to UK but this is a short drive from the centre of Lexington.

• Liked — New hotel and good facilities
  • Disliked — The train noise
  • Tips/Secrets — Find somewhere quieter
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Challenger07
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2006

We recently had the pleasure of staying at this property. We are in Lexington VERY often but this was our first stay here. I admit the attractive $89 per nite rate - even during Keeneland - and the location (close to downtown and UK but also just a short drive to Keeneland and the horse farms near Versailles) were most attractive at first...however AFTER staying there we discovered many other reasons to recommend this hotel.

First, the room was like new and very neat and clean with comfy beds. The only drawback is that the room did not have a microwave and we wish there would have a few more channels - TVG, please? The staff was helpful - we had to call for directions as they are a street or two off the beaten path - we noticed other people calling for directions when we were at the front desk checking in, haha. FYI, just follow Broadway out of downtown going toward the Red Mile and the Campbell House. Turn LEFT onto Virginia. This is just across from the Red Mile. Export St. runs right off Virginia. There is a Shell station on the corner.

Now, the best parts of the stay - the indoor pool - warm, easily accessable even for those with mobility issues and when I went in at 10 PM, I was the only one swimming. A real treat! There was also a very nice AND NOT BLISTERING HOT - whirlpool which was a heavenly way to end a LONG day out in the cold, pouring rain. The next morning, we were treated to a nice continential breakfast. Not just bagels and muffins. There was yogurt, all sorts of beverages, specialty coffees, juices of all kinds, toasts, muffins, bagels, fruit, etc...and the BEST warm cinnamon rolls - YUM. These were great! The breakfast room was large and inviting with plenty of tables and chairs for all.

Also, they have free internet access and I needed to print an invoice for business reasons but the printer was acting up so they kindly ushered me into the back office and I was able to use the main computer. I am sure this printer issue will be fixed soon, but it was nice of them to step up and help. So, for value, you cannot beat this newer, clean, accomidating hotel. Bring the swinsuit, even in the winter - it's an indoor pool and save room for those cinammon rolls! Just make sure you mapquest first!

Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2006

I stayed for $80 for one night...could do better on priceline. The hotel staff was very friendly, the room was very clean, and it was within walking distance of UK. I would stay here again. The rate was maybe a little too much.

• Liked — new and clean!!!
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends