“My favorite downtown eatery”

Joe Bologna's Restaurant and Pizzeria
Ranked #12 of 904 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Lexington, KY
“My favorite downtown eatery”
Reviewed February 23, 2009

I have been eating at Joe B's for over 20 years and my husband & I still eat there on a semi regular basis. I love the place. I think the food is consistently good. Their homemade soups are always yummy, my particular favorites are the potato soup and brown bean soup. They also make a great spinach salad. Pasta is always a great choice and so are their sandwiches. I am not crazy about the pizza but it just isn't the style I prefer. The hot Italian sub is so good and their Alfredo dishes are perfect. Yes, it can be heavy and yes the breadsticks sit in a pan of garlic butter. It's ITALIAN! You can get the bread sans butter, all you have to do is ask. And it is still wonderful, hot and fragrant. I can't comment on their deserts because I am always too full to order any. The service is spotty at times. You can tell when new students arrive, new staff is common at those times. So don't go if your in a big hurry although we have rarely had problems and we go often at lunch and supper but mostly lunch and always make it out in good time. The prices are very fair. Joe is precious. The old synagogue is so beautiful and makes a great setting for a meal. I think Lexington is lucky to have Joe Bologna's and I for one would miss it terribly if it were gone.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“No idea why people go here. I went here with high expectations and hearing of their delicious gralic bread sticks. Not...”
Reviewed February 3, 2009

No idea why people go here. I went here with high expectations and hearing of their delicious gralic bread sticks. Not impressed at all. If you like bread on top of a pool of butter then good for you, but it's not for me. The pizza is pretty bad too. Save your money and go elsewhere.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Consistent menu and consistent quality. If you like garlic, get a bread stick. if you do not, get one anyway just to...”
Reviewed January 3, 2009

Consistent menu and consistent quality. If you like garlic, get a bread stick. if you do not, get one anyway just to say you did. The Carrot cake is always good, but be sure to try any "cake" specially prepared by Joe.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“unique and good local Italian - garlic bread is to die for”
Reviewed December 20, 2008

unique and good local Italian - garlic bread is to die for

“*Delicious* pizza, nice...”
Reviewed December 19, 2008

*Delicious* pizza, nice building, decent atmosphere. The other food isn't fantastic, but it isn't bad--just a little heavy. Tries too hard to be too many things: Italian restaurant, pizza joint, sports bar, family restaurant...pick one, already.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook