“Great brunch”

Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: W Second St and Upper Street
Description: Regional Redefined Cuisine in Historic Downtown Lexington, Located Inside the historic Gratz Park Inn
Reviewed June 1, 2008

Had Sunday brunch here with family. Really excellent food and setting . Highly recommended.

Reviewed May 5, 2008

The food and service were both big misses. When 30$ entrees are on the menu, customers expect quite a bit. I found the pork chops to be over seasoned and inedible and presented in a tired bland fashion. Many of the dishes that came out of the kitchen were cold. In an effort to expedite the dinner I chose not to send my plate back. When everyone was finished with dinner I handed the server my full plate and told her it was inedible. She made no effort to assuage my feelings and failed to comp the 30+$ entree. The menu presentation was weak and for the most part of the dinner we sat with empty glasses. If a restaurant wants to charge in the 30$'s. The quality of the food and service has to be greatly increased.

6  Thank selliot1958
Reviewed April 13, 2008

I would HIGHLY recommend this restaurant.

The restaurant is inside the Gratz Park Hotel. I would suggest making a reservation. Although we did not have one, we were able to be seated upon opening for dinner at 5:30. They have an a la carte dinner menu, (i.e. we were very under dressed in our blue jeans)!

For appetizers the waiter suggested the fried oysters on a creamed corn base and the Bison. The oysters were OUTSTANDING, originally from Florida I've eaten plenty over the years but NEVER any this good. The Bison was good also, but a little too garlicy for my taste. Hubby had the dinner special of Pork Chop served on a bed of grits topped with spinach and a purple onion marmalade. He was in heaven. He also said the grits were the best he'd ever had. The portions were very generous, the staff very professional and efficient, and a great atmosphere. I plan on going there again and again.

1  Thank Ducky_In_Kentucky
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Too expensive and not that amazing.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed March 5, 2008

I have been to Jonathan's three times. Once for a birthday and once for an anniversary, and once for Sunday Brunch. Everytime, I was very happy and very impressed with the food and the service.

The first time, I had the fillet mignon, which was superb. It was on-par with J. Gilberts in Glastonbury, CT--previously the best steak I've ever had. I would say it's better than Morton's--a gold standard by many.

The second time, I had the bison, an apparently seasonal item, which was I think even better than the fillet, which I had not thought possible. What really made the dish were the scalloped potatoes in whole-grain mustard sauce. I'd never had anything like it, and it absolutely perfect with the other side and the bison.

To top off the second visit, we had the same waiter, who actually remembered he'd forgotten to give a free birthday dessert on our last visit. Just incredible service.

The third time, was for Sunday Brunch, which, was just as incredible as the dinner. The brunch is somewhat unique. You can pick from a list of three courses for a single price. Around 20 dollars per person, this is amazing baragin.

Wine wise, the Dry Creek Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon is the best thing on the menu. It is now our favorite wine.

The appetizers and desserts are as good as the meals. I highly recommend the Burgoo, a traditional Kentucky Stew, to travelers. And the ice creams are hand-made in-house. They are amazingly creamy and flavorful and change regularly. The ice cream is probably my favorite, though I've been told the pound cake is even better. A word about the Creme Brulee. It has a thick bourbon-based glaze and the flavor is strong. I happen to love it this Kentucky-twist on an old favorite, but the average person may not.

If I have one complaint about Jonathan's, it's that the web-site isn't very up-to-date. You should just call and ask what's on the menu right now, as several items rotate.

I do want to comment on another review--I see the reviewer has said that Malone's steak is better. I've eaten at both places, and my experience has been that Malone's steaks are poorer cuts and on the dry side. That maybe a personal preference or experience, but I would heartily recommend Jonathan's over Malone's any day of the week. For essentially the same price (around 30 a plate for steaks and bison) you get a "meal experience" at Jonathan's where all your food blends perfectly and completes each other. It is important to mix or follow your meal with your sides. In my first trip I had initially thought the mashed potatoes too salty, but once I followed it with a bit of the fillet, it was to die for.

The next time we go back, we might stay overnight in the Gratz Park Inn (a national historic site) where Jonathan's is located, just to eat dinner and then get up for brunch the next day. Yes, it's that good.

Please note, this is a fine dining establishment, so kids are only allowed on Sundays for Brunch. Which maybe a plus for you. The need for a babysitter is the only thing that keeps us from going regularly, but we are very happy to eat a meal without our children or others' making a fuss.

1  Thank Arghtastic