“A nice surprise!”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I are frequent business travelers and I wanted to try this place. We are VERY hard to impress. It's a small, quaint restaurant in a small complex off of Nicholasville Rd. Yes, the decor could be updated, but it was clean and pleasant. The booth seats are half-booths, which I am not a fan of, as one person sits in a chair, the other in the booth. They also have tables. That could be changed easily. The waiters/tresses wore white shirts/black pants and were able to make menu recommendations. I tried a chicken dish and was VERY PLEASED. My husband went with a traditional lasagna dish as he said it was good. The meatballs were great. The wine was reasonable and bread was also fantastic. The decor reminds you of an older, Vegas Italian place, but the food was very tasty. Services was prompt and unobtrusive. There were no children in the restaurant and it was very quiet, which was wonderful, even though it was moderately busy. We will likely be back when in the area and try additional dishes. They made my cut!

There are newer reviews for Paisano's Italian Restaurant

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We are a family who likes to try new places and this was one we had been meaning to try for months. It looked like a cute little restaurant and in our experiences with restaurants, we have found that these little "hole in the wall" establishments usually have pretty good food. Paisano's proved this theory wrong. Our waiter was fine and we had no real problems with customer service (other than the fact that they were really slow considering that there were only 3 tables other than ours dining in the restaurant). We all ordered the ravioli as this is our favorite dish. For 11 bucks we got 4 ravioli noodles. 4!!!!! And the quality of those 4 ravioli noodles was of the frozen food section variety. I could have gone to fazoli's and gotten the same quality food and to be honest it probably would have tasted better. So just a word of advice, if you are on nicholasville road and looking for a good italian meal, don't eat here! Olive Garden is better than this establishment!

1  Thank Travelgirl0321
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This was our 2nd visit to Paisano's, and will gladly return on our next trip. It's very difficult to find authentic Italian anywhere south of Mason-Dixon line, but Paisano's is the real mcCoy! Great sauce on the pasta dishes. They serve rolls in lieu of Italian bread, but this is an upside, as they are delicious. I had Chicken marsala, which was a generous portion at a very reasonable price. My wife has eggplant parm, which she raved about. Beer prices very reasonable for this semi-classy place. There was no wait on a Friday during racing season,which means Paisano's is a Lexington's best kept secret!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We decided to give this place a try for our early Valentine celebration. The location was easy to get to, and the atmosphere was quiet, and inviting. Total cost of our bill was around $37.00.

When we walked in, we noticed that for a resteraunt in Lexington at 7p.m. that there were 4 patrons in the establishment. This is highly unusual for Lexington at the peak of dinner hour for most places.

The hostess was friendly, with a warm welcoming smile. The bar area was complete, and inviting, with the exception of one major feature, the bartender. Also unusual, considering the bar is right off the front door.

As the hostess sat us at our table, I noticed some shreds of lettuce on the carpet, below our booth/small table for two. The dining area was compact, but gave off that cozy dimly lit 90's coffee house feel.

Our waitress greeted us with a smile, and served us the entire night with a pleasant attitude, and consistant timing. The waitress appeared to know the menu, and offered suggestions when asked.

Our first order was the fried artichoke hearts. The menu did not specify whether the artichoke hearts were fresh or not. It was clear, that the artichoke hearts had been pickled and brined prior to it's bath in its battter, and deep frying. The texture of the artichokes were tender, yet chewy inside the tampura batter. However the taste of the artichoke was over shadowed by the salty tempura beer batter. It was clear, that this dish was meant more for the "bar", as it would have been served well with a good strong ale. Cost of the dish $7.95.

The salads that came with the dinner, were child size. My husband ordered the Ceasar Salad, which cost a $1.00 more than the normal salad. After removing all of the tomato's from his plate, he was left with two bites of salad. The dressing was clear, and runny, with little to no flavor. I ordered the regular salad, with a side of ranch dressing. The ranch dressing was thick like tartar sauce, with flecks of green.

The rolls that were served with the dinner, were exquisite. The rolls came to the table freshly made, and warm. This was the highlight of the entire meal. The outsides of the roll were golden, with a slight crunch. The middle of the roll was light, and chewy, There was no need to use the butter with these rolls.

My husband ordered the "Grilled Sausage and Bell Peppers". The menu description of the dish was as follows: Homemade sausage sauteed with onions and fresh bell peppers, tossed with penne pasta in olive oil and a tangy garlic sauce. The penne pasta was perfectly al dente. The vegetables in the dish were well cooked. There was no hint of a tangy garlic sauce. Instead, it tasted like a traditional butter and black pepper sauce. The dish was so dry, that the penne almost stuck together. The sausage, while were assured by the waitress was homemade, was grey and bland at best. Cost of the dish $11.95.

Playing it safe, I ordered the Penne Alfredo, after all you can't go wrong with Alfredo right? Wrong. The dish description was as follows: "Penne pasta tossed in our homemade alfredo sauce, ganished with pecorino ramano chesse". My penne was perfectly al dente, wtih no garnish of Pecorino Ramano. The alfredo sauce, was soupy, and barely recognizable as an alfredo sauce. While homemade, it was not made with butter or cheese of any kind as in a traditional recipe. Instead, the alfredo sauce did not stick to the utensil, but instead dripped from the fork like water. The flavor of the sauce was similiar to powdered milk. I added a quarter of the cheap bottle of parmesian cheese that was at the table. Typically, this addition would help to thicken the sauce, however, in this case it did not. This is a good indicator that little to no butter, or milk was used in the base. The cost of the plate $10.95.

We ended up boxing up our food, to which the waitress made note to us. We were cordial, because while the food was horrible, her customer service was stellar.

Unfortunatley for us, this is NOT a place we that we dine again. There is no way that we would recommend this establishment to family, or friends. It was an absolute waste of our money, and Valentines dinner.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We ate here early on a Saturday evening. We were seated immediately and then were lost in the shuffle. Drink order took forever. We made the mistake of ordering a sala which only delayed our meal by an unreasonable amount of time. The restaurant was filled but not full. I don't understand the terrible service. By the time my food had arrived I was just ready to pack up the meal and leave. The food was good but not worth the wait and the lack of attention from the staff. We actually considered getting up and walking out.