“First time”

Mandarin
Ranked #427 of 944 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Was very good, fried rice and sesame chicken and Sweet and Sour chicken, YUM. Enjoyed, very nice setting and great ambience. Next must try sushi.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

We rarely eat Chinese food, and we never go to a Chinese restaurant. But after our visit to Mandarin, I'm asking myself, 'Why did we wait so long?" Mandarin, sandwiched between a coffee shop and a consignment store in Zandale Center, surprised us when we walked in. The atmosphere was much nicer than we anticipated, fancier than you would imagine from the outside. Our server was superb. Because we are fairly inexperienced with Chinese cuisine, we gave her some general ideas about what we like, and she suggested several dishes for us to share. We started with wonton soup, and the wonton had a much richer flavor than I am accustom to. We moved to some pot stickers, again with a richer flavor than ones I have eaten before. The Bang Bang Shrimp was my favorite part of the meal while my wife most enjoyed the Red Devil Sushi. We have lived within walking distance of Mandarin for 10 years. Be sure we will not wait that long to eat there again.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

The Mandarin has something for everyone. Best sushi in town made by sushi chef who is an artist! Try the Red Devil Roll. Great Chinese food as well, and top notch service. Don't miss this dining experience.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

We love Asian food and always look up the TripAdvisor top-rated Chinese restaurant when visiting a new city. So we tried Mandarin and... meh. It's average Chinese food at best that's priced too high for being nothing particularly special. The staff was disinterested and bordering on rude except when dealing with customers who were clearly regulars. When we asked for help choosing sushi for my son's first-ever sushi experience, the waitress had nothing to contribute and acted a bit annoyed at the question. The Red Devil Roll was spectacular (as mentioned in other reviews) but everyone else's entrees were just okay. Overall, this was a disappointing experience and if this represents the best Chinese food that Lexington has to offer, then it's probably best to opt for some other cuisine while you're here.

Reviewed February 18, 2012

Mandarin consistently has good food, competent wait staff, and is a pleasant place to have dinner. We started with vegetarian egg rolls, fried lightly, not greasy, and good. General Tsao's chicken was on the menu, but not General Tsao's tofu, so I asked if they had it. The waitress said they could make it special order, and they did, and it was tasty (there was a $1 additional charge for the special order). The other 3 diners must have liked their entrees as well because there was nothing left on their plates! The wait staff takes care of business, but is not all that friendly - that is my only complaint.