“Good burgers with friendly service”
Review of Sawyer's Downtown

Sawyer's Downtown
Ranked #51 of 949 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We come to Lexington every year for Scarefest and always have lunch at least once at Sawyer's. The waitress remembered us this year! The menu is small and the focus is on burgers. Basically you order a burger with or without cheese, with or without bacon, choose fries or chips then sit back. Our orders always arrive quickly. You take your burger up to the fixings bar where you have many options, from sauteed mushrooms or onions, to fresh onion, to lettuce, and just about anything else you can think to add to a burger. The burgers are handmade and fresh. They're located next to Starbucks, not far from the Rupp arena. Oh, they have great potato salad, too (also on the fixings bar).

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Had the opportunity to visit Lexington twice last month. During both visits, I had lunch at Sawyer's. I'm a vegetarian and they have excellent veggie burgers, as well as regular burger's (according to my friends.) :-)) The service we received was great as well. I apologize for not knowing the waitress's name but she was very friendly and had a wonderful southern charm that made us feel welcome.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I went in for a late night snack and ended up with one of the best burgers I have EVER had! The counter staff and cook were very friendly and went out of their way to take care of me even through it almost closing time and they were cleaning up for the night. A defiant must experience with visiting Lexington.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I frequent sawyers at least once a month in which they have a pretty good cheeseburger. The best part is the burger bar for toppings and the atmosphere which is right on main street close to Rupp Arena.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

After several days of staying in downtown Lexington, KY, and without a vehicle, I've become a little more desparate to find someplace new for dinner each night. I read up on some local reviews and decided upon Sawyer's. Upon arrival, I was immediately met with a warm greeting and directed to the limited, but sufficient, menu to peruse from. At first glance, you're hit with this old time feel of a cross between a parlor and a NY cafe of sorts. The ambience is reminiscent of something from the 20's or 30's as evidenced by wood pillars throughout the floor and in between the tables boasting coat hooks for the guests. The decor is mostly cherry wood and marble tops, and they've wisely created two sections to sit in: full service via the tables or bar area in the back, or self service tables towards the front (after ordering of course). However, there is also a modern flare in that music from the 80's is heard overhead, but not too loudly so as not to ruin your visit or conversation with others.

While some of the local reviews touted this as "THE" place for the best burger in town, others equally wrote about their sincere disdain and disappointment. I ordered a cheeseburger and baked potato (I know....just didn't want french fries for a change). It's not that the burgers are really "all that," but more so that they are HUGE! I likened them to the same kind of smashed beef patties your mother cooked in the frying pan on the stove top during the 70's; only thicker. The taste wasn't necessarily outstanding nor was it disappointing- just average.

There are ample desserts to choose from including the "Mile High" chocolate cake that can reportedly feed two or three. I spotted this cake on my way out, and I'd say their description appears to be "spot on." While I wouldn't necessarily make it a point to return here, I wouldn't hesitate to drop in either. Perhaps one of the most enticing aspects is the fact that the menu items are very reasonably priced compared to other local eateries. This is a perfect spot for the budget minded traveler. Burger, potato and a drink cost me right at $11.