“Favorite Spot for Japanese”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Sugano Japanese Restaurant - CLOSED

Sugano Japanese Restaurant
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
United States
“Favorite Spot for Japanese”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

I've tried most of Lexington's sushi spots, and Sugano still ranks number one in my book. Some would call it a 'hole in the wall' or a 'dive', and it's kind of both. It's located in a strip mall in an area where some people I know probably wouldn't get out of their car, but that's their problem. I love this place and would go every other day if I could. I love the atmosphere. Simple, to the point, no razzle dazzle. No need. The food speaks for itself, and it speaks to me. The sushi and sashimi are particularly delicious - unlike any other in town - and other items I've tried have always been delicious, too.
It's not a romantic atmosphere per se, but I still find it to be a great date night spot. There's a nice vibe when you go in, like walking out of Lexington and into Japan, into a discovered spot on the Travel Channel - you know, where the host says to get there now because after the show airs it will be hard to get into. Still, it seems Sugano remains undiscovered enough to have the perfect amount of patronage - you can still easily be seated on a weekend night but have no concern about the future of the place.
It's a small spot and never too loud, so I don't think I would go with more than three people.The staff is nice enough, not super friendly, but I don't need to be pampered here. I just need the chef to keep doing what he's doing and I'll be forever happy.

• Visited March 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“imitation crab in sushi combo?!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

We ordered the large Chirashi Sushi and we were very disappointed. Not only the quantity was small for the price, two of the pieces were some sort of egg concoction and two were imitation crab!! It also smelled like somebody was smoking...

• Visited February 2013
“Very Good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I went there with my sisters and a friend of mine. The outside view of the shop looks shabby but the inside looks japanese. I ordered katsudon and my sisters ordered ramen. It was good. Price is abit high though.

Good if you like authentic japanese food.

RBC, AL
“Authentic Japanese Food - TripAdvisor WINS again!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I work for Honda and was in Lexington with a Japanese associate who had only been in the states for about 1 year. He requested Japanese food, now I'm originally from Lexington and had no clue where to go. Again I put my trust in the TripAdvisor AP on my phone and based on the reviews chose this place. When we walked in, there was japanese writings on the walls and a very old dude running the sushi bar. My Japanese co-worker stated this looks promising, after the food arrived he reconfirmed the food was very good for taste, quality and presentation. I had another american co-worker with me too, we were both pleased with our selections, even if they were on the safe side ( nothing raw ).

The place is kinda in a older section of town, not sure about the "bad section" comments, but it is difficult to located due to the limited signs. Its not a fancy place either, but Its worth it.......just keep looking you will find it.

• Visited September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
“Super fresh and delicious sushi at hole in the wall restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Here is a restaurant that you probably would never know existed unless you did you research, spoke with an informed local, or were one of the knowledgeable Toyota business travelers from Japan. This place is a hole in the wall and the first time I went there I had trouble finding it. The owner is a gentleman from Japan and his skills are amazing. The sushi is just absolutely fantastic and so incredibly fresh. He explained how the sushi is ordered/transported and that they cannot keep it more than 2 days for the most part. What I especially loved was the traditional character of the restaurant, from drinking sake in the aromatic wooden cups to delicious ramen. A must visit...you won't be disappointed.

• Visited August 2012