“Real food, best homemade basic normal food ever!”
Review of Ramsey's Diner

Ramsey's Diner
Ranked #5 of 944 Restaurants in Lexington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We asked at our hotel for a good local restaurant, not a chain, reasonably priced...they told us Ramsey's. Once you get past the parking (you would think parking was the first turn after the restaurant but it actually is the second left turn...and even then read the signs and be careful so you don't get towed), you will find a really cute restaurant. The menu is not too big, not too small and everything is recognizable, nothing fancy. Service was excellent. They quickly filled your glass and kept it filled. Local beer is good. I went with a basic fried chicken, fries, coleslaw. It came with corn bread. Others in my group had fish and other veggies. We were all pleasantly surprised, absolutely loved the food. There was a blackboard with desserts listed from Missy's pies---oh my, what pies! We had a fantastic peanut butter brownie pie that was to die for. We were so impressed that we returned the next day to enjoy another extra delicious meal. This time I had a lemon yogurt charbroiled chicken (which was perfection), green bean casserole and that really delicious coleslaw. The manager recognized us from the day before and even though they were super busy, he stopped by to check on us. The restaurant is deceivingly larger than you think. I frankly am looking for a reason to return to Lexington, KY, just so I can have the opportunity to dine at Ramsey's again. It is such a sweet place that even have a live Christmas tree inside. The meals very reasonably priced as well. Love this restaurant!

1  Thank Helen L

Reviewed December 2, 2013

Visited for an early brunch (11:00am). We were greeted by the Gen Manager, Tyler Head, (always a good sign) who was most agreeable and charming. He is proud of his restaurant and rightfully so. They have nice breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. We opted for Breakfast - mine a 10 oz top sirloin cooked to perfection at Med-rare, eggs over and crisp hash browns ($13.95). The hash browns were the best I ever had, little rectangles 1/4" x 1/2", cooked to perfection (and I know hash browns having operated a diner of my own for 10 years).. My wife ordered an omelet- fresh spinach, bacon, and Swiss cheese ($9.95) & hash browns. It was wonderful and enough for 2 people easily, extraordinary! Service was without fault and friendly. Lunch offers an array of sandwiches (available at dinner also) including: Cold Meat loaf and the ubiquitous Kentucky/Southern dish "Hot Brown' ($9.95) and veggies (two at lunch and 3 at Dinner) such as Stewed Tomatoes and Parmesan Deep Fried Corn on the Cob. I counted between 15 & 22 "Veggie" sides. At dinner virtually every "meat" dish is $11.95). There is a Kid's menu including a Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich ($5.95)...Yep! There is a 'Coup de Gras': Pies, pies, pies, easily 20 different flavors ($5.00/slice & $20.00 /pie) all made within the last 24 hours by" Missy's Pies, etc." Right on High Street and a part of the Ramsey's four-restaurant Chain (+ Missy's). If I lived around Lexington I would eat at Ramsey's at least twice a week! My hat's off to you, Mr Head.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Who couldn't love Ramsey's!!! I have visited Ramsey's a countless number of times, and I will continue to return. The food is excellent. The yogurt chicken sandwich is my favorite, but everything on the menu is delicious. They provide a large breakfast that can be ordered all day long. The atmosphere is enjoyable and laid back and it is a great spot for a family brunch. The prices are low which is great for everyone, and the quality of food meets expectations and more.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

This is in a quint old building with multiple rooms. Our group of eight was sited around an old family dining room table. Great for talking and visiting. Great menu selection. There specialty was the Meat plus three. You chose from a selection or 6-8 meats, like meat loaf, pork chops, etc and then select three vegetables from a long list of choices. A couple people in our party had the Hot Brown, which they said was great. They re-filled drinks when need and despite a party of eight the service was fast and excellent.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

Ramsay's is a Lexington experience. The High Street location is in an old building near campus that you could easily miss if you weren't looking for it. It has a tiny bar and nowhere to stand if waiting for a table. But, we have been going here since college (when we needed the home cooking fix) and now our teens will not eat anywhere else in Lexington when we head down for a UK event. Our most recent experience was even better. 16 oz Ale-8 drinks for the teens, the largest servings of open faced turkey we have ever seen in our dozens of trips there, and even the chicken breasts looked larger and seemed fresher. The hot brown is what it is - a heart attack on a plate . . . tons of cheese, fat, calories and cholesterol. But, I ate every last bite!